Home Tags Posts tagged with "fox news"

fox news

0

Eric Bolling’s only child, 19-year-old Eric Chase, died on September 8, the day Fox News said it had parted company with his father.

Fox News suspended him last month after allegations he sent inappropriate photos to female co-workers.

Eric Bolling made the announcement in a tweet on September 9: “Adrienne and I are devastated by the loss of our beloved son Eric Chase last night. Details still unclear. Thoughts, prayers appreciated.”

The former Fox News host added: “Authorities have informed us there is no sign of self harm at this point. Autopsy will be next week. Please respect our grieving period.”

Image source Fox News

Eric Bolling Leaves Fox News After Being Accused of Harassement

Bill O’Reilly Dropped from Fox News over Harassment Claims

Fox News said in a statement: “We are very saddened to hear of the passing of Eric Bolling’s son. Eric Chase was a wonderful young man and our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Bolling family.”

Eric Chase Bolling was a freshman at the University of Colorado in Boulder. Boulder police were investigating a death near the university, but Sgt. Nick Smetzer said the department would not release the circumstances of the death or identify the person who died.


Eric Bolling worked for Fox News for 10 years and had been considered a rising star, one of its more vociferous supporters of Donald Trump. He hosted The Specialists, which aired at 5pm ET each weekday.

Salvează

0

Bill O’Reilly has been dropped from Fox News over harassment claims, the company says.

The network said in a one-sentence statement: “After a thorough and careful review of the allegations… Bill O’Reilly will not be returning.”

The presenter has been on holiday since April 12, and was seen shaking hands with Pope Francis at the Vatican on April 19.

Bill O’Reilly said it was “tremendously disheartening” to leave over “completely unfounded claims”.

More than 50 sponsors have withdrawn ads from his show, The O’Reilly Factor.

Pressure on Fox has mounted since recent reports that five women had received $13 million in payouts because of Bill O’Reilly’s behavior.

Bill O’Reilly, who has been with Fox News almost since its inception, has denied all of the allegations.

Image source Flickr

He said in a statement released after his dismissal: “It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims.

“But that is the unfortunately reality many of us in the public eye must live with today.”

Fox broadcaster Tucker Carlson will be taking over Bill O’Reilly’s slot, the company said in a follow-up statement.

In an internal memo sent to 21st Century Fox employees, the company wrote that the decision had been made after “extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel”.

The letter – signed by Rupert Murdoch and his sons Lachlan and James – praised Bill O’Reilly as “one of the most accomplished TV personalities in the history of cable news”.

It added that Fox News was committed to “fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect”.

The O’Reilly Factor drew nearly 4 million viewers per night.

The most recent allegation came on April 18 when lawyer for a former African-American clerical worker at Fox alleged her client had been harassed by Bill O’Reilly in 2008.

Lawyer Lisa Bloom said the Fox News host had referred to the unidentified woman as “hot chocolate”.

“He would leer at her,” said Lisa Bloom.

“He would always do this when no-one else was around, and she was scared.”

Media-watchers say the allegations had become too much of a liability for 21st Century Fox.

A concern for the Murdoch family is their pending $14 billion deal to buy out satellite provider Sky, which is being scrutinized by British regulators.

Earlier this month authorities with the European Commission cleared 21st Century Fox to acquire the remaining 61% of Sky that it does not yet own.

Sources at the company tell US media that Rupert Murdoch was in favor of keeping Bill O’Reilly in his post.

However, 21st Century Fox CEO James Murdoch reportedly argued that Bill O’Reilly should go.

The company reputation has taken a hit after harassment allegations were also leveled at Roger Ailes, the former head of Fox News.

Roger Ailes resigned in 2016 after being sued by a former Fox News presenter, Gretchen Carlson.

Fox News has responded to Donald Trump after his decision to boycott the final Republican debate on January 28.

The network said in a statement that Donald Trump’s decision is “unprecedented” and accused him of “terrorizing” debate host Megyn Kelly.

Donald Trump clashed with Megyn Kelly at a Fox News debate in 2015 and had demanded she be removed from today’s panel.

The billionaire’s decision to pull out has been mocked by his Republican rivals.

The debate is the final one before the first real test of the election campaign, the Iowa caucus on February 1 when voters in the state pick their presidential nominee.Donald Trump and Fox News debate

“Capitulating to politicians’ ultimatums about a debate moderator violates all journalistic standards, as do threats,” the Fox News network said in a statement.

“We’re not sure how Iowans are going to feel about him walking away from them at the last minute, but it should be clear to the American public by now that this is rooted in one thing – Megyn Kelly.”

It added: “We can’t give in to terrorizations toward any of our employees.”

Megyn Kelly accused Donald Trump of misogyny in the first debate in August 2015 and he responded the next day by accusing her of having blood “coming out of everywhere”. He denied he was referring to menstruation.

Donald Trump, who leads the Republican field, quit the debate on January 28 after Fox put out a sarcastic statement that questioned his ability to deal with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Fox responded by accusing Donald Trump of “viciously attacking” Megyn Kelly, threatening her and spending four days trying to get her removed.

Republican presidential candidate Senator Ted Cruz mocked Donald Trump for his announcement.

Ted Cruz challenged Donald Trump to a one-on-one debate and taunted him on Twitter using the hashtag #DuckingDonald.

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo has said she will sue Fox News for its inaccurate reporting about the city following the attack on the magazine Charlie Hebdo.

Fox News claimed there were “no-go areas” in Paris where police and non-Muslims refused to go.

Anne Hidalgo said the people of Paris had been “insulted” and the city’s image had been “damaged”.

Fox News has since apologized for making “regrettable errors” on air regarding the Muslim population.

Anne Hidalgo told CNN: “When we’re insulted and when we’ve had an image, then I think we’ll have to sue. I think we’ll have to go to court, in order to have these words removed.Anne Hidalgo sues Fox News

“The image of Paris has been prejudiced, and the honor of Paris has been prejudiced.”

In response, Fox News executive vice president Michael Clemente said: “We empathize with the citizens of France as they go through a healing process and return to everyday life.

“However, we find the Mayor’s comments regarding a lawsuit misplaced.”

The network has also apologized for comments by terror expert Steven Emerson, who claimed Birmingham was “totally Muslim” and ruled by Sharia law.

Fox News host Jeanine Pirro subsequently said Steven Emerson had “made a serious factual error that we wrongly let stand unchallenged and uncorrected”.

Steven Emerson said he had made an “inexcusable error”.

[youtube q2guHMbQ-ss 650]

0

Fox News host Shepard Smith branded Robin Williams “a coward” just hours after he was found dead in his California home in an apparent suicide.

Discussing the actor’s legacy, Shepard Smith described his death as “cowardly”, citing a quote from Robin Williams in which the actor described his children as an inspiration.

“One of the children he so loved, one of the children grieving tonight because their father killed himself in a fit of depression,” Shepard Smith said.

“You could love three little things so much, watch them grow, they’re in their mid-20s, and they’re inspiring you, and exciting you, and they fill you up with the kind of joy you could never have known.”

Fox News host Shepard Smith branded Robin Williams "a coward" just hours after he was found dead in his California home in an apparent suicide

Fox News host Shepard Smith branded Robin Williams “a coward” just hours after he was found dead in his California home in an apparent suicide (photo Getty Images)

“And yet, something inside you is so horrible or you’re such a coward or whatever the reason that you decide that you have to end it. Robin Williams, at 63, did that today.”

Shepard Smith then claimed Robin Williams “probably had more fun most people I’ve ever known” before moving on to a segment about recreational drugs.

The anchor’s comments sparked a strong reaction on social media with some viewers accusing him of being insensitive and lacking sympathy towards Robin Williams who had been battling with depression.

Shepard Smith later issued an apology for his poor choice of words, adding that he did not mean to call Robin Williams a “coward” and used the word “innocently” in the hour-long TV special dedicated to his career.

Robin Williams, 63, had recently checked into the Hazelden Addiction Treatment Centre to “find tune and focus”.

“The last thing I would ever suggest about a man I know nothing about personally, is that he’s a coward,” Shepard Smith told TVNewser.

“That goes against everything I am. If those words, I used so innocently, offended his family, from the bottom of my heart, I could not be more sorry.”

[youtube Ikk50Y_jQgQ 650]

Sarah Palin has left FOX News after her three-year run as a paid contributor to the conservative cable news channel.

“It’s my understanding that Gov. Palin was offered a contract by FOX, and she decided not to renew the arrangement,” the source told Real Clear Politics on Friday.

“She remains focused on broadening her message of common-sense conservatism across the country and will be expanding her voice in the national discussion.”

Bill Shine, an executive vice president at Fox, confirmed the news in a statement sent to the New York Times.

“We have thoroughly enjoyed our association with Governor Palin. We wish her the best in her future endeavors,” Bill Shine wrote.

It is unclear whether the parting was Sarah Palin’s choice. Multiple sources told the Times that the decision to end her contract was “amicable”.

The anonymous source who spoke with Real Clear Politics declined to say whether Sarah Palin would pursue a television contract with another news network.

SarahPalin became one of FOX’s leading political contributors, making frequent appearances across the news channel’s programming after she resigned from her role as Alaska’s governor in 2009.

Sarah Palin has left FOX News after her three-year run as a paid contributor to the conservative cable news channel

Sarah Palin has left FOX News after her three-year run as a paid contributor to the conservative cable news channel

In 2010, FOX constructed a studio inside the Tea Party favorite’s home in Wasilla, Alaska, where her husband, Todd Palin, would occasionally take on the role of cameraman and producer during her live television appearances.

Sarah Palin’s relationship with the cable news channel owned by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. empire had seemingly taken several rocky turns in the past year, according to Real Clear Politics.

In a Facebook post during the Republican convention last August, Sarah Palin complained that FOX had cancelled “all her scheduled interviews tonight”.

Sarah Palin’s departure from the nation’s highest-rated cable news channel follows the departure of another former governor leaving a paid media gig.

Earlier this month, former New York governor Elliot Spitzer stepped down from his prime-time television gig at Current TV after the channel was acquired by Middle Eastern media giant Al Jazeera for $500 million.

[youtube OBLLlwSy3qk]

0

Shakil Afridi, the Pakistani doctor who helped the US to locate Osama Bin Laden, has said he was unaware he was involved with the 2011 killing of the al-Qaeda chief.

Speaking for the first time since his arrest, Shakil Afridi told Fox News he did not think he needed to escape after the killing but was then kidnapped by Pakistan’s ISI intelligence agency.

He said the ISI, who he says tortured him, regards the US as its worst enemy.

Dr. Shakil Afridi is understood to have been contacted by phone in jail in Peshawar.

Prison officials were taken by surprise by reports of the interview, but did not rule out that a phone could have been smuggled into his cell.

The doctor is alleged to have used a fake hepatitis B vaccination campaign to obtain DNA samples of Osama Bin Laden’s family.

He was sentenced to 33 years in jail in May for funding and supporting a militant group, but correspondents say it is generally acknowledged he is being punished for helping the CIA.

Shakil Afridi, the Pakistani doctor who helped the US to locate Osama Bin Laden, has said he was unaware he was involved with the 2011 killing of the al-Qaeda chief

Shakil Afridi, the Pakistani doctor who helped the US to locate Osama Bin Laden, has said he was unaware he was involved with the 2011 killing of the al-Qaeda chief

The interview was published on the eve of the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the US, and came as current al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri confirmed the death of another senior figure in the network, Abu Yahya al-Libi, in a US drone strike in Pakistan’s tribal areas earlier this year.

Meanwhile, Ayman al-Zawahiri’s brother Mohamed told CNN that he was prepared to negotiate peace between the West and Islamists.

Ayman al-Zawahiri, who spent 14 years in jail in Egypt, is said to have the respect of the new Egyptian government but claims to be ideologically close to his brother.

Speaking from Peshawar Central Jail, Dr. Shakil Afridi said he had not realized that the CIA was targeting Osama Bin Laden.

“I didn’t know about a specific target apart from the work I was given to do,” he told Fox News.

“I was aware that some terrorists were residing in that compound, but I didn’t know whom. I was shocked. I didn’t believe I was associated with his killing.”

He said that the CIA advised him to flee to Afghanistan.

However, he was scared to cross the volatile border region and did not think it was necessary for him to escape because he did not consider himself to be involved in Osama Bin Laden’s death, he said.

Dr. Shakil Afridi was arrested at a checkpoint at Hayatabad on 22 May last year, 20 days after Osama Bin Laden’s death.

After this he says he was blindfolded for eight months and handcuffed for a year in a prison beneath the ISI headquarters in Islamabad.

“I had to bend down on my knees to eat with only my mouth, like a dog,” he said.

During interrogations he was tortured with cigarette burns and electric shocks, he said, as the ISI rebuked him for helping the US find Bin Laden.

“They said: <<The Americans are our worst enemies, worse than the Indians>>,” he added.

Dr. Shakil Afridi also said fellow inmates had told him that they had been advised to make things up to prevent interrogation by visiting CIA officers.

He said that he himself was “proud” to work with the CIA and would help the US again despite the torture and psychological abuse he said he had suffered.

“I have a lot of respect and love for your people,” he said.

There has been no official response to Shakil Afridi’s allegations, but the Pakistani authorities have always insisted that they treated him the way any country would someone found working for a foreign spy agency.

Osama Bin Laden’s killing created a crisis in relations between the US and Pakistan, whose government was seriously embarrassed as it emerged Bin Laden had been living in Pakistan.

Islamabad felt the covert US operation was a violation of its sovereignty.

Both US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have said Dr. Shakil Afridi’s arrest was a mistake and called for his release.