According to experts, a growing number of young women are seeking vaginal rejuvenation.
The hour-long procedure which was originally popular with patients suffering from incontinence or a sagging of the vaginal canal following childbirth, is now more widely used for cosmetic purposes to either to enhance the appearance of the genitalia or boost sexual satisfaction.
While the average age of those requesting the surgery is between 30-45 some doctors are concerned the trend is causing teenagers to become increasingly “misled or confused” about what is normal.
In 2011 more than 2,140 U.S. women underwent vaginal rejuvenation, according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery while the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons put the total at almost 5,200 in 2010.
Experts note such figures do not include the many procedures done by gynecologists.
The growth comes despite a warning from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) in 2007 that strongly questioned the medical validity and safety of female genital cosmetic surgery which can cost between $2,500 and $12,000.
One of the major concerns is that many surgeons fail to explain risks, such as infections, scarring, pain and the loss of the very sensations some patients seek to enhance.
However many patients are more than happy to proceed with surgery, even when warned of the dangers, as they are sold on the idea of having a “designer vagina”.
WHAT IS VAGINAL REJUVENATION?
There are two main types of procedure available:
Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation
• For women who want to enhance or improve sexual gratification
• Most patients are women who have had children and experience vaginal relaxation
• The procedure enhances vaginal muscle tone, strength, and control
• Effectively decreases the internal and external vaginal diameters
• Builds up and strengthens the perineal body
Designer Laser Vaginoplasty
• Aesthetic laser enhancement for women who are concerned with appearance
• Sculpts and reduces the inner and outer labia
• Reduces excess skin
• Reduces thickness of the labia minora
• Pigmentation treatment to create uniform coloration
• Rejuvenates the relaxed parts of the vagina
• Augment any areas that are “flat” with transfer of fat from other areas
• Removes fatty bulges of pubic area