A district judge in Oregon has temporarily blocked a rule proposed by President Donald Trump that would require immigrants to prove they will have health insurance within 30 days of arrival in the US, or can pay for medical care.
Judge Michael Simon granted a preliminary injunction against the proposal.
A lawsuit opposing the rule has been filed by 7 American citizens and an NGO.
They argued it would block hundreds of thousands of legal migrants.
According to the lawsuit, the number of immigrants who enter the US with family-sponsored visas would drop considerably, or be eliminated altogether.
Under the deal, Mexico agreed to deploy its National Guard throughout the country from June 10, pledging up to 6,000 additional troops along Mexico’s southern border with Guatemala. It will also take “decisive action” to tackle human smuggling networks.
The US agreed to expand its program of sending asylum seekers back to Mexico while they await reviews of their claims. In return, the US will “work to accelerate” the adjudication process.
Both countries pledged to “strengthen bilateral co-operation” over border security, including “co-ordinated actions” and information sharing.
The declaration added that discussions would continue, and final terms would be accepted and announced within 90 days.
Should Mexico’s actions “not have the expected results”, the agreement warned that additional measures could be taken but did not specify what these would be.
In one of a series of tweets about the deal, President Trump quoted National Border Patrol Council president Brandon Judd as saying: “That’s going to be a huge deal because Mexico will be using their strong Immigration Laws – A game changer. People no longer will be released into the U.S.”
Mexican Foreign Secretary Marcelo Ebrard told journalists: “I think it was a fair balance, because they have more drastic measures and proposals at the start, and we have reached some middle point.”
Speaking at a separate news conference, US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said “we couldn’t be more pleased with the agreement”.
President Trump caught members of his own party unaware when he announced the proposed tariffs last week.
According to recent reports, President Donald Trump has lashed out at immigrants in a foul-mouthed Oval Office outburst that a UN spokesman later condemned as “shocking”, “shameful” and “racist”.
President Trump reportedly asked lawmakers during talks on an immigration deal: “Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?”
According to reports, the president was apparently referring to Haiti, El Salvador and African countries.
However, the White House made no attempt to deny the comment.
In recent weeks, the Trump administration has been trying to limit the number of family members of immigrants who can enter the United States, and has moved to end the protected status of thousands of immigrants already in the US.
President Trump’s reported remark came as lawmakers from both parties visited him on January 11 to propose a bipartisan immigration deal.
According to media, Democratic Senator Richard Durbin had just been discussing US temporary residency permits granted to citizens of countries hit by natural disasters, war or epidemics.
Meanwhile, the Washington Post reported that President Trump told lawmakers the US should instead be taking in migrants from countries like Norway, whose prime minister visited him a day earlier.
The newspaper quoted the president as saying: “Why do we need more Haitians? Take them out.”
South Carolina Republican Senator Lindsey Graham was in January 11 meeting at the White House, but would not comment on the president’s reported slur.
A statement from White House spokesman Raj Shah said: “Certain Washington politicians choose to fight for foreign countries, but President Trump will always fight for the American people.
“Like other countries that have merit-based immigration, President Trump is fighting for permanent solutions that make our country stronger by welcoming those who can contribute to our society, grow our economy and assimilate into our great nation.
“He will always reject temporary, weak and dangerous stopgap measures that threaten the lives of hardworking Americans, and undercut immigrants who seek a better life in the United States through a legal pathway.”
In response, UN human rights spokesman Rupert Colville said: “If confirmed these are shocking and shameful comments from the president of the United States, I’m sorry but there is no other word for this but racist.”
The UN official spoke of a 2016 presidential campaign speech in which Donald Trump called Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists, and to his response last year to a white supremacist march that ended in violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, when the president said “both sides” were to blame.
Rupert Colville said such comments went against “universal values the world has been striving for” since the end of World War Two, and opened “the door to humanity’s worst side”.
The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) accused President Trump of falling “deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole of racism and xenophobia”.
Mia Love, a Utah Republican and the only Haitian-American in Congress, demanded President Trump apologize for the “unkind, divisive, elitist” comments.
The Washington Post broke the story with the word “shithole” in its headline and in the alert that the newspaper sent out to followers’ smartphones.
Fox News used asterisks to obscure the offensive word along the bottom of the screen, but CNN and MSNBC carried it in full.
Lawmakers reportedly proposed restoring so-called Temporary Protected Status (TPS) permits for certain countries, allowing their residents leave to remain in the United States because their home countries are temporarily unsafe for them.
In return, they were said to have offered $1.5 billion for a wall that President Trump wants built on the US border with Mexico.
This week the Trump administration announced it was withdrawing TPS for more than 200,000 people from El Salvador.
The decision gives Salvadoreans who have been living in the US for nearly three decades until next year to leave, seek lawful residency or face possible deportation.
People from El Salvador were granted provisional US residency after an earthquake devastated the Central American country in 2001.
Shah Rukh Khan has been “detained” by US authorities at Los Angeles International Airport.
It is not clear why the Bollywood star was detained, or for how long.
The US ambassador to India has apologized for the detention and said authorities were working to ensure it did not happen again.
In 2012, Shah Rukh Khan was detained for 90 minutes at the White Plains airport near New York.
Shah Rukh Khan’s detention by US authorities for 90 minutes at White Plains airport near New York has sparked outrage in India
In 2009, the actor was stopped for two hours at Newark airport. He was released after India’s embassy intervened.
Shah Rukh Khan, who flew into Los Angeles on August 12, tweeted: “I fully understand & respect security with the way the world is, but to be detained at US immigration every damn time really really sucks.”
However, the actor added: “The brighter side is while waiting caught some really nice Pokemons.”
Although there was no comment from immigration officials, the US State Department’s assistant secretary on south and central Asian affairs, Nisha Biswal, tweeted to Shah Rukh Khan, saying she was “sorry for the hassle”, adding that US diplomats also face this situation.
Later, the US ambassador to India, Rich Verma, apologized to Shah Rukh Khan.
In 2012, Shah Rukh Khan arrived on a private plane and was on his way to Yale University for a function when he was stopped.
An Indian government minister said at the time that this “policy of detention and apology by the US cannot continue”.
US customs and border protection authorities later expressed “profound” apologies for the incident.
Shah Rukh Khan had later made light of the incident and joked about it.
“Whenever I start feeling arrogant about myself, I always take a trip to America. The immigration guys kick the star out of stardom,” the Bollywood star told a gathering of students at Yale University.
Shah Rukh Khan has appeared in more than 70 films and is considered one of India’s most recognizable and popular celebrities.