Noah Kravitz’s former employer, Phonedog, want him to hand back his Twitter following when he left the company.
The landmark case opens up legal questions over who “owns” followers on a corporate Twitter account – and whether followers are a commodity that can actually be owned.
Noah Kravitz, who tweets under his own name, had been employed by Phonedog as a blogger and had 17,000 followers.
Phonedog – a cell phone retailer – is now suing Noah Kravitz for taking his Twitter followers with him – alleging that each follower is worth $2.50 a month, as his follower list was equivalent to a list of customers, and is their property.
“The idea that all 17,000 people who follow Kravitz were doing do because of PhoneDog is disingenuous at best,” The Atlantic magazine reported, in a comment retweeted by Noah Kravitz yesterday.
Noah Kravitz’s account – which now has 22,000 followers, Tweets on subjects as diverse as Steely Dan, Android phones, liquorice and flu bugs.
Noah Kravitz told the New York Times that he had agreed to retain control of the Twitter account, providing that he, “tweet on their behalf from time to time”.
“I said sure, as we were parting on good terms,” said Noah Kravitz.
Eight months after Noah Kravitz left, Phonedog sought damages.
Phonedog said in a statement: “The costs and resources invested by Phonedog Media into growing its followers, fans and general brand awareness through social media are substantial and are considered property of Phonedog Media.”
The company vowed to “aggressively protect” its property.
Sinead O’Connor decided to quit Twitter after she said she was “getting too much abuse”.
Sinead O’Connor, 44, follows the decision of Ashton Kutcher, who despite his 8.2 million followers, closed his account after tweeting his support for ousted US college football coach Joe Paterno, embroiled in a sex abuse scandal.
The singer blamed fans for taking her controversial sex stories “too seriously”, but credited the experience as “very interesting’.
Sinead O’Connor said: “I’ve stopped Twitter now because, although it was fun for a while, I had to stop because I was getting too much abuse.”
She also told V Magazine at the 2011 Inspiration Gala for amFAR that the social networking site was becoming an “addiction”.
The singer said: “Some people just take things so seriously, and things I was being funny about they would take terribly seriously.
“Plus, it’s a bit of an addiction; you got to stop it at some point and get on with living.”
Sinead O’Connor decided to quit Twitter after she said she was “getting too much abuse”
After splitting from third husband Steve Cooney in March, Sinead O’Connor tweeted about her search for a new love interest.
Sinead O’Connor said she was “desperate for s**”.
She wrote: “Must announce boyfriend search very much still on.
“If any1 wants a suicidal tourettes ridden fat ugly lunatic with a big fat flappy *****.”
Sinead O’Connor has since claimed that writing these articles was an interesting experience and: “I got the feeling that it was 50/50.
“Half the country was amused because it was funny, and they other half were very serious and just took it terrible seriously.
“So there was a fair bit of abuse and I thought, wait, it’s actually okay for me to be me, we can all be whoever we are.”
It also inspired her to write a new song for the record and change the title to How About I Be Me, And You Be You.
Sinead O’Connor also sparked fears in September after tweeting about her urge to commit suicide.
She later defended her outbursts, saying: “There is no shame in feeling suicidal. Nor in anyone knowing that wave passes over you sometimes.
“No one should be judged badly for however it is they choose to make their cry of help.”
A message has appeared on David Hasselhoff’s Twitter page saying that Hayley Roberts has dumped him.
Surprisingly, the news comes one day after David Hasselhoff, 59, and Hayley Roberts, 31, were seen out in London at the Clinton’s Celebrity Fastcard event on October 18.
A David Hasselhoff’s representative of was unavailable for comment.
Their relationship appeared to be going swimmingly, but there are signs that Hayley Roberts wasn’t ready to commit to David Hasselhoff.
David Hasselhoff, 59, and Hayley Roberts, 31, were seen out in London at the Clinton's Celebrity Fastcard event
The Star on Sunday recently claimed that David Hasselhoff isn’t the first famous face that Hayley Roberts has bagged and she enjoyed a fling with footballer Dwight Yorke and singer Enrique Iglesias too.
Hayley Roberts apparently enjoyed a four-month fling with Dwight Yorke that ended weeks before she met David Hasselhoff.
David Hasselhoff is said to have proposed to Hayley Roberts, who is a former Debenhams worker, three times so far, but last night her ring finger appeared bare.
A message has appeared on David Hasselhoff’s Twitter page saying that Hayley Roberts has dumped him
Last month David Hasselhoff, who has two daughters from a previous marriage, hinted that he was ready to get married for a third time.
“I believe in marriage. Right now with Hayley things are getting better in every way.”
It seems that David Hasselhoff was planning a Christmas with Hayley Roberts and her family and is appearing in a panto in Bristol, close to Hayley’s hometown of Glynneath, near Merthyr Tydfil.
David Hasselhoff has also recently splashed out on a new home in Lisvane, an upmarket area in the Welsh capital of Cardiff.
David Hasselhoff has been dating Hayley Roberts for the past six months after she asked him for an autograph and he asked her for a date.
It seemed that despite the 28-year age gap, their relationship was blossoming with Hayley Roberts even leaving her job in Debenhams to accompany David Hasselhoff around the world.
David Hasselhoff told the story of their first meeting to The Sunday Mirror:
“I was walking into the St David’s Hotel in Cardiff when we were in Wales for BGT and she came up and asked for a photograph.
“I just saw this girl walk out the bar and I just pointed and went, <<her, wow>>.”
“Hayley’s opening line was, <<can I have a photo?>>. And mine was, <<only if I can have your number>>. I then said, <<you probably have a boyfriend>>. And when she said no, that was a done deal.”
David Hasselhoff, who divorced wife Pamela Bach in 2006, said: “I’ve been able to take my beautiful girlfriend out of a retail store where she’s making £5.90 an hour.
“Now she doesn’t have to worry. I say look, <<you’re a beautiful girl, follow what God gave you>> and I’m giving her the confidence and have somebody to share my life with.”
CBS News made an enormous gaffe by reporting that Apple CEO Steve Jobs died in a careless post on Twitter.com today.
A Twitter account tied to the CBS series “What’s Trending”, hosted by Shira Lazar, sparked an internet firestorm with a post reading:
“Reports say that Steve Jobs has passed away. Stay tuned for more updates.”
CBS' What's Trending huge gaffe on Twitter
The post was pulled few minutes later, but the text still exists on the website, because so many people retweeted it.
A while after the huge error, an apology appeared on Twitter.
“Reports of Steve Job’s death completely unconfirmed,” the post read.
The CBS What's Trending apologies post few moments after the imense gaffe
Shira Lazar, who is also the CBS “What’s Trending” show’s executive producer, followed with an apology.
“On behalf of all of us at @disruptgroup we sincerely apologize for the inaccuracy that was tweeted earlier today.-EP/ Host @WhatsTrending.”
Shira Lazar apologies post
The incident has fuelled speculation as to the state of Steve Jobs’ health.
Steve Jobs, the former CEO of Apple was seen for the first time since his departure in August, his frame looking so incredibly frail it fuelled fears that he was nearing the end in his eight-year battle with the pancreatic cancer.
However, Steve Jobs made no direct reference to his health problems in his letter of resignation to the Apple board.
The former Apple boss wrote only that he had always said he would step down as CEO if he felt he could no longer do the job to his high standards.
Steve Jobs had surgery to remove a tumour after being diagnosed with a rare type of pancreatic cancer in 2003 and had a liver transplant in 2009 in a further attempt to prevent the spread of the disease.
Steve Jobs went on medical leave in January 2011, but still introduced the second generation iPad a couple of months later and has led the development of the iPhone 5 and iPad3.
Although you won’t be able to find th HP tablet in stock at regular retailers, Canadian or US, there is one more place where you will find it at less than retail prices which is still going to be a bargain.
$99 HP TouchPad Tablet in stock links below:
HP’s fire sale on its TouchPad tablets in stock this week has killed all inventory from Canada, and details on U.S. stock remains a bit unknown, but there is still hope for a bargain. Read below for a HP TouchPad in stock at on-line and off-line retailers. Please bookmark this page and come back for updates.
Hewlett-Packard (HP) plans to launch a second sales promotion for its 9.7-inch TouchPads in late October in an attempt to clear out inventories of components in the supply chain, according to industry sources.
HP originally released orders for 900,000-1.1 million 9.7-inch TouchPads to Inventec and has taken deliveries of 800,000-900,000 units, said the sources, noting that the shipped TouchPads were nearly all sold out after the vendor slashed the tablet’s price to US$99.
In an effort to mend its relationship with component suppliers and channel operators, HP decided to help them clear out inventories, including touch panels, batteries and chassis, equivalent to 100,000-200,000 units of 9.7-inch TouchPads, the sources pointed out.
HP has apparently abandoned its production plan for a 7-inch tablet PC model, with its ODM partner Inventec noting at a recently held investors conference that there will be no more follow-up orders for TouchPads from HP.
“Since we sold out of the current stock, we are building new units in order to fulfill orders received through 4am Monday, Aug 22. This means a delivery date in the 6 – 8 week range. Your order will be fulfilled.”
Order was placed Saturday August 20th 3:50 PM.
Updates for 8/29:
No update from HP yet and they have stopped taking email notifications. Every other retailer is sold out at promotional price.
Directron briefly had units, possibly sams, but both now OOS
Newegg has a limited quantity and contacted people who set up alerts for the touchpad. This is first come, first serve – another batch will go out tomorrow if Newegg still has more to sell.
Updates for 8/28:
Staples also says “Out Of Stock”, because Touchpads are Out Of Stock. Staples sold out on Touchpads a week ago and did not get any more in. You cannot order any online or at a kiosk contrary to their site. SDers have gone to Staples and at the kiosk it is OOS also. They do not have Touchpads.
Updates for 8/27:
– Most Best Buy stores have no lines even as late at 7-10 am. There were a couple of exceptions in FL, VA and TX. Most stores have no new orders inbound. Come back to this article for the most up to date info.
Please stop Quoting BrynaAtHP. There has never been any specific information given out by Bryna so far. It’s all something we already know. Unless a HP rep confirms it, its all speculation(while I agree Bryna/Mark seem to be little more then patsy’s for unwanted attention, they are in fact HP reps).
— So the notification site at HP is not specific information? Unless you can come up with something better than an HP employee, I think that’s the best there is for now.
We have been working all day on getting these orders shipped!!!! We began with 1247 and have now stopped on Order Number 2115 we are awaiting for the bulk upload on the tracking numbers to enter into the database as soon as we receive those. We will be imputing those in. We will begin in the morning with order number 2116 and will update as we go along thanks to all customers for you patience ad understanding throughout this whole HP Fiasco.
– 9/6 7:51 A.M. – By Timothy Lawson
Quote from Timothy Lawson :
Good Morning!! Had a wonderful Holiday,hope you all had one as well! We are now at the end of this HP Mess as I call it.All Orders will begin to be shipped today as promised. We will start with the order number 1247 once we begin you will see your status change from Awaiting fulfillment to awaiting shipment once we receive the tracking numbers your order status at that time will be Shipped please be patient as we have a lot of orders to process today please hold all calls unless it’s to cancel or place a new order for products other than the HP Touchpads!For questions or updates we will be Updating Facebook, Twitter, and Site throughout the day. Thanks for everyone’s patient’s and Understanding we hope to got out as many orders as we can today and finish the rest by tomorrow! we will let everyone know which order number we stopped with and which one we will begin with in the morning.
Update 09/01/2011 4:58PM By Timothy Lawson Called HP as promised this morning, left a message for Renata Wallace and Stephan Jensen the have not returned my calls. I called them again and Left Messages Still no returned call. I just called one more time for both and Left a final message to call me first thing in the morning. I will also call them first thing in the morning as well and try to get a definative answer from them. I have also had a meeting with Dell this morning for the Streak 7 will have a definative answer on those Tuesday due to Monday being a holiday. I have also been in negotiations with Toshiba on the Thrive today as well as Fujitsu on the Q550’s to hope to have some good news for all of you guys tomorrow everyone have a blessed night. Timothy Lawson – 8/31/2011 3:22 PM from Tim Lawson Per the phone Call I have had with HP today. The lady who has our PO on Hold will be in the Office first thing in the morning and she will release the hold and get our Purchace Order shipped to the warehouse tomorrow. – 8/30 – 7:49 PM EST HP is still saying we as partners will receive our shipment this week what was placed on the site is just some extra information we received from them to keep you guys updated on all HP news – 8/30 – 12:35 PST Called B&T and spoke with Tim Lawson. They said they are still expecting a shipment to be received this week. however they are unsure of the exact date. He stressed that if anyone wanted to get a refund to please call them and they would do so right away.It sounds like they are still going to be shipping out as soon as possible, and that they were in talks with other brand companies that make tablets just as a backup. – 8/26 – 10:00 AM PST Just spoke with B&T, they said they have confirmed shipment from 3 different distributors, however, they are closing the office immediately to prepare for hurricane as it was about to hit them (they were already getting strong winds and heavy rain), and they expect the hurricane to interrupt business and deliveries for about 3 to 4 days, maybe longer. They are still going to attempt a mid-next-week shipment for the touchpads, but safety comes first, and they may miss that target date depending on the hurricane damage and how long travel/deliveries are out, and the damage at their distributors. Be Safe B&T Employees, and Everyone on East Coast! – Twitter Update on 8/25
Update: We have received a conformation email for HP!!! all orders will be processed no later than middle of next week as Promised!
– Note that they are charging $129.99 for 16GB. Price match to $99? — They will NOT price match – price will remain at $129.99. – Received an order email from both Lawson Electronics and Paypal confirming order was placed…it is in Awaiting Fulfillment status
Subject: HP UPDATE FROM CEO
All Customers Who have placed an Order for the HP Touchpads we will be honoring all orders and not cancel any orders. All Orders are currently in the Awaiting Fullfillment Status. what this means is that we are waiting on HP who has allocated 7000 16GB and 7000 32GB Pads to deliver to our warehouse. As soon as we receive them we will then process everyones shipment and email tracking numbers to all. We are asking all customers to please be patient as we will have all orders shipped by middle of next week so please bear with Us! If any one has any Questions or concerns please call us at 1-888-887-7892 M-F 8:00am to 5:00pm EST or email us at [email protected] .com also if any wish to cancel their order please email the Order number and name to Kathy and we will process all refunds as soon as possible! Keep in mind that nobody else have these in stock! Be Very Careful of Scams! Make sure to please research all companies before paying your money! Thanks to all for your Business! Hope to make a lot of customers for life.
Timothy Lawson CEO Lawson Electronix
Barnes & Noble
UPDATE — IF YOU ORDERED A TOUCHPAD FROM BN.COM and the order was CANCELED, CHECK YOUR EMAIL — YOU MIGHT HAVE RECEIVED A $20 eGiftCard from Barnes and Noble!
– Some have received UPS tracking numbers showing delivery as early as Wednesday for most and even Tuesday if you live close to NY
WARNING: Watch out for anyone who claims to be able to provide you with real time inventories for stores. Please do not fall for this trick.
8/26 UPDATE: Lots of Best Buy B&M stores had stock on a first come first served basis. People stood in queues 3 hours prior to store opening & got one unit per person. Two of my friends & I were personally was at a BB B&M & was able to get 3 total 32GB touchpads. NO MORE STOCK EXPECTED. Some stores might still have it on Saturday! YMMV.
8/25 UPDATE : Picked up two from BB B&M this morning, and apparently there IS additional stock coming into *SOME* BB B&M. (Best way to find out is to go into a BB, with the SKU of the Touchpad you want, and ask them to LOOK UP THE SKU only. Dont mention Touchpad. See which stores have some “in transit”).So far I’ve gone to about 5 Best Buys and most tell me the same thing “We aren’t selling them anymore”, “No more are coming in”, “Our display models are showing up as in-stock online”. What this really means is that they are holding them until the morning so they can hand out vouchers (or holding them for employees). So far two stores that told me they will not get any more in did vouchers in the morning when they showed up as “in-store only”. In addition, being pushy with a manager made him change his story from “We aren’t getting any more in” to “Well we are getting them in, but we don’t know when”.
– Many B&M purchases. The majority of purchases from a B&M store will be from here. BB’s are getting sporadic shipments at MOST of their stores throughout this week.
If you want to try and get a HP Touchpad at BB you need to use the links below to check the 16GB & 32GB BB store inventory. If the tracker shows ‘in store only’ inventory late at night or early in the morning, it’s a good chance that store will have them available for sale and will hand out vouchers before they open. Expect a big line and you will need to camp out at least 2-3 hours before the store opens to have a chance. If you get a blank page after entering your zip code/city try using a different browser or clearing your cookies for the tracker to work again:
– Got back from BJ’s 08/23 12.30 pm with 1 successfull price match(purchase with full price on sunday). BJs drop price on website now. Sorry Sold Out
Aaron’s B&M HP Tablet In Stock
-Aaron’s has recently slashed the price of their in store HP TouchPad tablets. This has only been advertised in store and might not last long. I have successfully bought two 16GB HP TouchPads for $140.30 each after taxes. Please note that these include a pleather case and not the OEM one like in the title. As seen on this thread, only the Corporate stores are participating in this deal (deal won’t be available in franchise stores). You might find a hard time getting your hands on one because overzealous Store Managers want to bundle this with the lease of other items. There have also been reports of Store Managers refusing to sell it for the “retail price” that I paid. The only reason I believe the thread has negative votes is because I could not upload the proof [imgur.com] until I got home.
– Price was never lowered on website. Some users bought at full price on Friday/Saturday FROM Buy.com (not another vendor)–those orders are starting to ship as of Monday, 8/22. Buy.com has sent out emails confirming they will be crediting back the difference in price (at least, for the 16GB model), so customers will only end up paying $99 shipped. Edit: I have not received an email yet (my full price order has shipped), so I did an online chat, and they did confirm that they will credit back the difference
User who bought full price seems to be being price adjusted for a couple of SKUS, but not for others. I bough full price and they admantanly refuse to adjust mine. Gave me a pre-paid return label for retuen, so i dont need to pay return shipping.
– Several have reported shipment, while many others have reported cancellations
– At least one order confirmed shipped from CC for 16g -One order for a 16g has already been shipped and received from Global Computer.
-Up to date information about shipments on this thread. Go there and collaborate.
– All stock was sent back, but if you paid full price while they were in stock, there was an recent email from Corporate sent to EVERY store with a coupon to scan giving $350 off the purchase price. Just bring your original receipt. Some stores are still unaware of the email, and will tell you they will not price match ever. They are wrong, but call ahead to make sure. My refund actually included tax, so my full refund was $380.63. Total price pad for 32GB TP w/ a sleeve was $141.
– 9/6 – 8:08 AM EST – Received email from DataVision stating a system error mistakenly regenerated a second email confirmation. They are removing the order from their system but are retaining contact information to re-notify when new shipments arrive. – 9/5 – 7:15 PM EST – Just received an e-mail from DataVision “thanking” me for my order for the HP TouchPad even though it was previously canceled. Did they end up getting some in?
DataVis’s Facebook page – 8/30 – 7:40 PM EST Datavision is cancelling all remaining orders. They have offered a 20% off coupon (up to $50) toward your next Datavis eBay purchase, and first crack at any additional touchpads they may receive. Please note that it is NOT a $50 certificate, but a 20% off coupon worth up to $50. This was confirmed by DataVision on Facebook. HP TouchPad Tablet letter – 8/30 on Datavis Facebook Wall
From Datavis facebook comments: Some people are now reporting that all orders will be cancelled as confirmed by reps over the phone. Can anyone here confirm as we I trust the users here more than those on facebook.
Datavision just deleted all comments from their facebook page regarding the touchpad issue.
Thanks again everyone. Nothing is being swept under the rug or deleted. We are fully aware of what was sent on record on email blasts, etc. It has to do with cursing, threats, and accusations. We are doing our best here to answer each person and email.
8/29/2011 8:38 on Datavis Facebook Wall
Thank you for your patience, and we are sorry for the delay. This was our first day in from being closed for Irene. We unfortunately have not received the tracking as I hoped to have passed on to you at this point. The money has been drawn from our account, which we assumed was a good sign. We will give this another day or two before we decide what to do. If you have questions, please EMAIL us directly, as your names do not have contact info/order details and we would like to address everyone.
8/26/2011 on Datavis Facebook Wall
We would like to again reiterate this should be a constructive venue for updates and comments. Threats for feedback will not make anything move faster. If you firmly believe HP’s problems which created an earthquake through their Authorized Dealer Networks is worthy of tarnishing one’s company 7000 times over. It is your prerogative.
Continued: The way HP works for LARGE inventory is they allocate goods in distributor warehouses for US. We stock 99% of the items, including touchpads. The extended quantities are sometimes offered on hotter items as we have allocation and we can utilize their warehouse space.
When the floodgates opened on Saturday (with no notice from HP), we sold this massive # in a short time. When we went to pull our stock, the distributors did not want to ship, though our goods were PAID for and confirmed. It took longer than expected and some legal threats, but the money was deducted from our account x 9500 units, which COVERS ALL OF YOU.
Touchpads are in route and we will post a copy of our Bill of Lading as proof hopefully today. In addition, the bulk of the tracking #s will update tonight, with movement soon after. Please keep in mind we are working as fast as we can, we realize this will literally MAKE or BREAK our business. Please keep that in mind when you comment, threat, etc. tHERE IS ALSO A HURRICANE coming up our way, and we are not sure how much staff will be able to make it on Sunday. Again we will keep you posted.
Lastly, with regard to more units after the committed batch. We believe we will get 1 last shot of them as HP is building more. YES they do cost more than $80-$90 and everyone that HP sold for $99 was a loss. You will get your item AT THE CHEAPER PRICE YOU PAID. The next batch for new orders will be considerably more. We do not know the higher price, but please also keep that in mind when complaining. Once again, thank you once again. This is one in a million $*#& storm that nobody could ever predict. We are confident it will be handled properly.
Another mass email will also summarize the above and have further details later this evening.
– 9/1 – I have not had my order cancelled or anything. Still showing no shipping information. I ordered mine @ 8:13am on 8/23.
Touchpad product page now says “OVERSOLD ON THIS PRODUCT. WE APOLOGIZE FOR ANY CONFUSION OR COMMUNICATION ISSUES THAT HAVE NOT BEEN MET IN A TIMELY MANNER.” erwincomp.com Order cancelled 8/26
Update 8/28: I had an amount from ErwinComp pending on my card since I ordered it on 8/23, I finally got around to emailing them last night since I havent been able to get through via phone. I got a reply back from the Sales Team with the following message:
“We understand that you have questions regarding the availability of the Touchpad. Unfortunately, we are completely sold out of this unit at this point. Because we cannot guarantee delivery for this product within a reasonable amount of time, we have canceled your order. We have not charged your account. Pending authorizations are only temporary and should automatically drop from your account within 3-5 business days.”
– Update 8/31 Just got a cancellation email after never having tried to contact ErwinComp. It seemed until this point that only people who emailed to ask about the status of their order got the cancellation emails…I suspect everyone will be getting this:
“Unfortunately, we are completely sold out of this unit at this point. Because we cannot guarantee delivery for this product within a reasonable amount of time, we have canceled your order.”
– Update 9/2
Dear Customer, With regards to the HP Touchpad, We are currently still backordered on this product. There is no solid update from HP or our suppliers as to when this tablet might be avialable to fulfill your order, but the moment we receive any news we’ll update everyone. If you would like to keep your order in line we’re glad to do so, or you may cancel your order by emailing us at [email protected], or contact us at the number below. If you paid via a cash method, such as Paypal we can refund your payment at your request. Regards, Order Processing
Was told they are still waiting for stock and are hoping to ship out orders this week email in response to inquiry of more stock: “We are expecting more stock” 8/29/11 9:30am
No longer listing the 32GB tablet. My order changed from “New Order” to “Processing” order canceled. checked in paypal transaction history. ordered on 8/25 7:39 ET
– 9/4 – some people have reported success at stores in very limited quantities. Some stores report no stock YMMV
HP Home/Office, Academy, EPP
– 9/2 1:47 PDT – HP H&HO currently has the HP Touchstone Charging Dock back in stock for $55.99
8/26/2011 – MarkAtHP and BrynaAtHP confirmed that there will be no word on stock of TPs today or over the weekend.
8/25/2011 – 4:15a-4:30a – HP switched status from Coming Soon to OOS; there was never an option to buy.
MarkAtHP: We have confirmed there will be no news today on #HP #TouchPad availability. There was no sale last night. #breatheasy cc: @brynatahp
BrynaAtHP Bryna Corcoran: K, you want the good news first? @markathp and I found out there was no sale last night. #phew
– Hit or miss for those that ordered Friday night – Anticipating new stock Wednesday, along with many other retailers
FedEx Reference TrackingIf your order “In process”, you may be able to track shipping. Put your order number into the “reference” section (beginning with H), then your country, then your zipcode.
– @HP Chat @8:43am EST 8/24 – Genevieve G. – Unfortunately no Touchpads will be released today. It would be by Monday, next week. – when released TPs will be limited to one per customer/household Update Noon Aug 25,I had been trying FedEx Reference Tracking with no luck. Logged in to HP Website and status was shipped. Still tracking number not in Fedex database.
HP Small Business
–9/2– Place my order on 8/20. Received email this afternoon
Your order will be fulfilled at the discounted price. As we sold out of our existing stock very quickly, we are in the process of re-allocating stock to SMB customers. We should receive this stock within 2 weeks, at which time your order will then ship with free ground shipping. You will receive a shipping notification with a tracking number once your order has shipped. We apologize that these timelines are longer than indicated on the website at time of purchase.
– So most of the orders placed during the weekend at SMB will be fulfilled. Wait for 72 hours to get the shipping notice. Even the SMB reps cannot exactly give you the status of your order because their inventory systems are overwhelmed by the number of orders that were placed so far and it needs to go through each order to acknowledge it and send out a notification to the purchaser. – They are working on processing orders still – They will NOT be restocking ever – FedEx Tracker by Reference:https://www.fedex.com/AltRefTracking?cntry_code=us << Enter your HP order number as the reference, and select destination country and zip code. Shipments from Olive Branch are likely just paper. (Thanks to Divine_Madcat) ** I Ordered just the TouchPad and it’s coming in from Olive Branch, MS. So it may be TouchPad ** If package is 3.5lbs, it is the Touchpad. If package is 5.8lbs, it is the paper for those that ordered it.
Order placed ~2pm PST on 8/20 arrived yesterday from SMB. Package weight showed as 5.0lbs (touchpad only, no paper)
Update 08/29 3:33 PM CST: I just got off the phone with HP SMB, they were not willing to give me a time more accurate then 6-8 weeks before I’d see my touchpad. Ordered 4PM CST on the 20th (Saturday)
Update 08/30 11:00 AM CST: Just got an email response from HP: “Since we sold out of the current stock, we are building new units in order to fulfill orders received through 4am Monday, Aug 22. This means a delivery date in the 6 – 8 week range. Your order will be fulfilled.” Ordered Saturday August 20th 3:50 PM.
– 9/1 Update. BrynaAtHP on Twitter – “The US SMB team is working to fulfill orders made prior to Monday, August 22 at 4am CT. Expect an email in the next 48 hrs updating you on delivery dates if you made the cut off time. Sounds like a shipping delay of a few wks.”
– I ordered 8/21. Status showed waiting for credit approval. Later, status showed credit approved 8/23, order date 8/23. Status then showed order cancelled 8/24, order date 8/24. Later on 8/24, got conformation email. Even later on 8/24, got cancellation email. Online status still shows confirmed with order date 8/24 and ship date 8/28.
From HP SMB WebsiteFAQ [hp.com] – If you placed an order prior to 4am CT Monday, August 22, we are working through the large volume of orders, verifying payment details and seeking to source inventory for fulfillment. This process is taking longer than first anticipated. At this time, we cannot guarantee supply to all these orders but are working to supply as many orders as possible. If you saw a reserve hold for the amount of your order on your credit card and your order cannot be fulfilled, no actual charges have been made, and this reserve hold will be released if the order is cancelled.
– Price has gone back up on their site. Those who got orders in at the discounted price are showing ship date of August 30th. *Edit* some orders are now stating “Estimated Ship Date: UNKNOWN ” – Those who used Amazon checkout seem to be getting their orders cancelled ~ received this email august 24th
Thank you for ordering from the Howard Technology website. As stated on our website, the HP Touchpad is on back order.
We here at Howard Technology Solutions are committed to fulfilling your order. The first 1,000 orders for the HP Touchpad have already shipped and we are in contact with Hewlett Packard and our vendors in an effort to fulfill our back orders. You will be notified when your order can be processed.
Jonathan Sieling E-Commerce Manager Howard Technology Solutions
Talked with their customer support in the morning. They said mostly the order will be cancelled and money will be refunded. It does not sound like they are going to get the inventory from HP. They might have an update end of day today or tomorrow morning. I guess we are not going to get much from them!
-UPDATE: Ordered one TP on Aug 22 at the full price. Called insight.com, and CSR refused to do the price adjustment. Requested to talk to his manager and 5 mins later, the manager said “no” to me. AND 10 mins later, this manager called me again and told me they will credit those who bought TPs on Aug 22 at the full price! I believe this is official policy of insight.com
– Orders being Canceled. Your order will adjust to “Completed” and read $0.00. If you see this, you will NOT be getting a touchpad. – I got a confirmation e-mail from Insight 8/22 @ 11PM CST. Site is back up. I can see my order in my account, no tracking. – Talked to CS rep, everybody’s orders are on a 2 day credit hold. The orders that people can actually pay for will be processed. It is a first come first serve basis meaning if you ordered on the 23rd you probably won’t get a Touchpad as all the orders from the 22nd will take up their available inventory. Refunds will be issued for those who ordered but due to inventory insight will not be able to ship out the touchpads. – Got an order shipped email at 4:47 AM PST; Fedex tracking number at website. – Order was shipped on 8/23. Received it on 8/24.
– Out of stock. As of 4pm on 8/24 they’re saying they will NOT reimburse the price difference. See this thread.
Kheelan, Business Electronics
Kumputers.com (SHA Matrix, INC.)
Had some onsale for $50 above MSRP. site still shows 26 instock for the 16GB, likely OOS but worth a try. Placed an order for 3 16GB Touchpads and received a receipt/order confirmation instantly.
– Announced as live at approximately 10:40AM PDT on 8/25/11… Currently OOS! – The site started showing this on their pages: **WE DO NOT HAVE HP TOUCHPADS IN STOCK!!**. – Prices are currently listed as greyed-out with “CALL” next to the item listing. – People have called in and were told that the TouchPad is OOS, and that existing orders would be canceled. – Their item listing seems to indicate that they had inventory at one point in time, although it is extremely unclear how many they had. – Online orders which were placed prior to the “Add to Cart” option being disabled are currently listed with a status of “Submitted”.
– 9/2 – Got a call from Kmart, they ran out of 16GB and offered free upgrade to 32GB but limit 1 per order. I have two 16GB in my order. It is the only option and I have to take it. One 32GB for $99 is not bad but I still want two 16GB for $99 each. – Several people have reported successful price adjustments. For example see this post. +1 I had my 2 32gb PM, they are still in transit due in 8/29 – Update on an order (still listed as “Open”):
Shaw: Christian, I have checked your order for Touchpad 16G WiFi 1 2GHz, the amount of $598.02 is refunded. Shaw: I checked for order status and see that the item is not shipping as this item is temporarily no stocked, however, it will be shipped as soon as the item is stocked. Christian: Are you expecting to receive more stock of the TouchPad? Shaw: Christian, I have checked the stocking details and see that the more HP Touchpad 16G will be stocked, as your order is already processed, the item will be shipped to you as soon as it is stocked and it will take 6 to 7 business days.
– Received a call today from Macmall saying my order will ship today 9/1/2011. My order was previously cancelled due to OOS, so you may be one of the lucky ones. If you see a call from California, make sure to pick up even if it has no caller ID. – Just check order status, shipped with tracking number. Ordered before price drop; CSR called to confirm order and also lower the price. – Orders made on 22nd are shipped! Even if you paid the cheapest ups shipping, it will be delivered in 2 days! – If you ordered from the Macmall site before it went down on the 21st, and even got an order confirmation, they still likely canceled your order because they did not get the system with those orders back up until after they shipped their entire stock. – Called MacMall 8/25 and was told shipment was cancelled after placing order on 8/21 (charges pending). Checked again online 8/26 and now shows a UPS tracking number that UPS says it can’t locate. MacMall placed another temp authorization on my card since my original one fell off.
– Meijer is getting them in one at a time it seems. My dad works at Meijer and called me about 3:30pm on 8/25 to come buy the only Touchpad that they had. He said that he saw two other stores each had one in the area. We called the closer one and they had sold theirs. Also it seems they are only getting the 16GB in stock. Best bet is just call Meijer and ask someone in electronics to check inventory at the current store and nearby ones as well.
– B&M stores will price match if you ordered online for pickup for the 32 GB version
– 9/2 – I got a call from Newegg on 08/31 and they shipped me the same day (I had placed the original order with them on August 21st but refused shipment since they did not price match so the customer service called me back and gave me a chance to re-order the same item) . Received the touchpad Yesterday. Thanks to Newegg for their excellent customer service. – 9/2 – I got a call from Newegg at 11:08 AM Pacific (8/31) and ordered my 16gb Touchpad from Newegg. Delivered on 9/2.
– 9/1 – I got a call at 11:08 AM Pacific (8/31) and ordered my 16gb Touchpad from Newegg. Shipped UPS last night & should be delivered on 9/2.
– 8/31 – Newegg is starting to call people – $99 for 16 GB and $149 for 32 GB. I got a call from them 15 minutes ago. They are going to ask you for your e-mail and they are going to place the order online. I responded to neweggs email on 8/29/2011 at 6:33 PM pacific discussion thread – 8/31 – I got a call at 11:08 AM Pacific and ordered my 16gb Touchpad from Newegg.
-Newegg currently has deactivated all of the TouchPads, their future status is unknown. -Late in the week (Thursday/Friday), their inventory fluctuated between out of stock and in stock, people ordered with mixed results (stories of success and problems)
Newegg posted this on facebook during the week:
Hi Fans! We want to let you know we are aware of the recent price drop on the HP Touchpads. We also want you to know that we will be reaching out via e-mail very soon to offer an appropriate price adjustment to all of our customers who have purchased HP Touchpads from Newegg – regardless of the date of purchase.
We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience as we work through the details!
-While it appears that newegg will be honoring the HP price drop, if you want to plan to not risk the order, here is some information. – NO RESTOCKING FEE. free return label. Do NOT open the package. – If your package from Newegg is being sent via UPS, you may take delivery, and if you DO NOT OPEN the package, you may give it back to UPS within 5 business days to count as REFUSED.
08-29-11 NewEgg Got this Email around 9pm:
Dear Valued Customer, We’re pleased to inform you that you are eligible for a very limited-time opportunity to purchase the HP TouchPad tablet.
We have decided that the fairest method of selling our remaining inventory is to offer it to customers who requested an auto-notification, beginning with the earliest auto-notification request received for either model of the HP Touchpad. We are providing you with a limited window of time to purchase one (1) HP TouchPad tablet at the discounted price. Due to limited inventory, we cannot guarantee the availability of your preferred model. We want to make this opportunity available to as many customers as possible, so if you do not take advantage of this opportunity by 5:30pm PDT, 8/30/2011, your opportunity will expire.
Please reply before 5:30pm PDT, 8/30/2011 to this email to indicate your interest in purchasing an HP TouchPad. Include your desired contact phone number and time during the day you are most available. If you reply by this time, we will contact you over the phone to complete the order. Please note, that all sales will be final and Newegg will not issue refunds or exchanges for any reason.
We appreciate your patience and understanding while this decision was made. Newegg is dedicated to offering the best service possible in all situations. Sincerely, Newegg.com
– 9/2 – Received the following email:
Great news, we now have inventory available to fill your recent order for the 32GB HP Touchpad Tablet. We have received some cancellations of confirmed orders, making a limited quantity of 32 GB Touchpad Tablets available to fill backorders. Orders will be filled in the order that they were placed, while supplies last, and subject to approval from your credit card provider. We want to be able to fill as many orders as possible so we are not accepting any new orders for this product. If you still want to receive your order, please reply to this email to confirm your interest. We must receive your reply no later than 11:59pm on Tuesday, September 6th. We expect to ship orders the week of September 12th and you will receive an updated email notification at that time. If you no longer want us to fill this order please reply to let us know and we’ll be happy to cancel it immediately. Thank you for choosing Office Depot.
– The above email is suspicious. I called OD and they confirmed that their official communication would mention the order number and their CSRs would be able to verify every email sent out on an order. Don’t respond with any personal info/Payment info.
– 8/28: I received 2 Touchpads that I ordered using my account on 8/26. By the time, my wife ordered using her account, it was back-ordered. On 8/23, she received an email that said her order would be cancelled.
– 8/24 – Some people who got ship confirmation are not receiving product on delivery date and refunded. Check status, says not on truck for delivery. fiasco.
-Office Depot is price matching orders once they are rec’d by the customer. They will match $99.00 for the 16gb and $149.00 for the 32gb (Confirmed)
– My order from 8/20 4:07AM EDT delivered today 8/24 6:30 PM EDT. (1-32GB) – My order from 8/20 1:11AM PDT has changed to “Delivery Scheduled” and then “Shipped” (8/23 10:30PM PDT) – My order from 8/20 1:21AM PDT just shipped (8/24 2:44AM PDT) – My order from 8/20 2:31AM Central RECEIVED – Called OD and they Refunded $30 to my credit card. THANKS OD! – Some have called Customer Service and have been told that their order has either been shipped or is going to be shipped the following day and have been told to call back later for tracking #. – Email received regarding back order :
Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that we are unable to fulfill your back order for the HP Touchpad Tablet.
– at least one shipping confirmation. – Two shipping confirmations now. Shipping from Tukwila, WA, United States wherever the heck that is. – Rep at 8AM said that they had 42 32GB items in stock, and 23 32GB back ordered, and they were likely going to cancel the back ordered item. – My full price order of $435.19 for the 16GB that I made Saturday Morning shipped yesterday (8/22) and is out for delivery today (8/23). Called customer service and they gave me a $326.40 credit. – 8/24: This is to inform you that your item 23119509 on your order # XXXXXXX is shipping from a different warehouse. If there is a delay over 7 days we will contact you with an estimated ship date. – 8/24: Orders made before 12:15 on 8/20 should be shipped today, according to the CSR. Orders made after this might be delayed. – 8/25: Just received cancellation notice from OfficeMax, and page states it is canceled. Previously told 3 times I would receive one the next day. – 8/26: email response: “Thank you for your email. As far as we know, we will pull the Touchpads from every possible location. We are waiting for our sources to advise if we will receive more stock. I apologize for this inconvenience.” – 8/30: email response: “Due to HP discontinuing their TouchPads, no longer being able to source the item, and the depletion of our stock; all backorders related to these items are being canceled. ” – 8/31: email response: “It was brought to our attention that HP may be shipping additional inventory to its suppliers. Our Merchandising team has contacted HP and is pushing to acquire enough stock to cover the orders we had to cancel. We have saved all canceled orders, and if we are successful in attaining additional HP TouchPads, we will contact you to fulfill your order. ”
OnSale via Amazon.com
Here is consolidated links where you can raise your voice regarding Onsale, pl note civilized language with reasoning is effective than cursing
8/27 Don’t understand all the backlash on onSale but not on other companies that also cancelled many orders. I remember this forum was buzzing that there’s no way onSale had that much inventory in stock and expected their orders to be cancelled. Yet, folks continue placing orders and now trying to destroy the company. Guess I was lucky or early to the party. Received mine 16GB within 3 business days of order.
Huge wave of cancellations went out on 8/24 just after noon PDT. Amazon has completely removed the order from my history, no sign that it ever existed A handful have received notice that their order has been shipped. OnSale thread is thread. A few have reported receiving credit from Amazon for their trouble.
IF YOU GOT BURNED BY THIS SHADY COMPANY MAKE SURE TO MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD. IT TAKES 2 MINUTES. BE SURE TO ALSO LIKE “CUSTOMERS AGAINST ONSALE” IF YOU WERE CANCELLED OR AFFECTED” http://www.facebook.com/onSaleprotest
A lot of people seem to be under the mistaken impression OnSale is being rated down for simply canceling orders or being overwhelmed by demand. This is not the case at all. Reasons people are upset include:
By most accounts, they in fact DID NOT fulfill orders on a first come first serve basis–despite statements to the contrary on their Facebook page. There are reports from folks who ordered 1 or 2 hours into the sell receiving multiple tablets while many ordering a single unit right as it went live were unceremoniously canceled.
By some accounts, their Amazon inventory actually went OOS a few times throughout the course of the sell but was quickly replenished. Many take this to suggest they either had a manager monitoring the sell in real time (knowingly overselling) or a script auto-replenishing inventory.
There are allegations that Macmall (parent company of the OnSale and presumably pulling from the same warehouses/inventories) also fulfilled many orders that occurred AFTER the Amazon onslaught. Many suggest this was done to avoid the percentage Amazon takes out for their Marketplace service.
OnSale posted on their Facebook page that people who “Liked” them would receive order priority.
To date, OnSale themselves have attempted ZERO communication with their customers. After withholding funds for 3-4+ days with no contact whatsoever, Amazon.com has been the sole author of any and all correspondence (including cancellations). OnSale hasn’t even issued a simple apology.
Approximately 1/4 of Slickdeal members who voted in the poll received their touchpads. Interesting enough any comments that are positive from this company keep getting edited out of the wiki. That’s equally shady. OnSale screwed the pooch with overselling but MANY people did get their orders.
– Ordered as soon as the link went live, then posted here. Ordered 2 32gb tablets, both have shipped and should be here Wednesday.
– 9/3 – Confirmed receipt of the shipment from 8/29. Got my 16GB touchpad! Two more 32GB on their way. – 9/2 – They appear tired due to end of government fiscal year orders (non-TP). Nice rep admitted they had gotten in ~300 and had contacted orders first come first served. Said they maybe had 50,000 orders. Only one person apparently has control of stock so others cannot talk CSRs into an order. Originally was told price was original, then said if called price will be the sale price. This one is wait & see again. – 9/1 – There have been reports that several people are getting calls from PCMallGov asking if they’re still interested in buying TPs. Personally I ordered 2 more 32 GB models and I already have a shipping number. – 8/31 – PCmall shipped mine on 8/29 received 8/31 Ordered on 8/21 at 8:30pm (status showed discontinued for over a week. Received no cancellation emails rec 2 TP today)
– Ordered at 4:33 PM PST on Saturday August 21st. Order actually had a shipped on 8/23/11 notice, however this is not the case. Up top on order status it shows CANCELED. No confirmation of anyone receiving a shipment from pcmallgov.com (on of the sister sites of PC Mall, Mac Mall, On sale, etc.). – 8/27 – Order previously showed Cancelled, now shows “In Process, Automatic CC Auth”. Might be shipping soon, might be cancelled again. – 8/29 – 3/4 of my order was cancelled (2 of each model), got a tracking number for a 16GB. Shipped! (not received yet) Scheduled Delivery on September 2nd. PCmall shipped mine on 8/29 received 8/31 Ordered on 8/21 at 8:30pm (status showed discontinued for over a week. Received no cancellation emails rec 2 TP today)
– 9/2 – Call from PC Richard Salesperson, TouchPad available for PICKUP ONLY. Store 65.
– 8/31 – Multiple quotes from twitter:
We will not be canceling orders until we are 100% certain that we will not be receiving more TouchPads. Still waiting to see.
– In reference to the last twitter posting, this confirms < 20 touchpads were given to online orders on the 30th. They treat the online store as a single B&M store.
Yes For this circumstance we’re counting our online orders as another “store” so they’re getting the same piece of the pie. 11 hours ago
– 8/30 – Update from twitter regarding brick and mortar orders. I email them and they said check back at the end of the week for online order.
We received a shipment yesterday and each store will soon be getting less than 20 pieces each to fulfill orders in the order they were received. If you ordered from the East Brunswick store and were one of the first to do so, you’ll be hearing from them soon.
– http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/PCRichardandSon/~OxvqR – 8/29 – Talked to CSR – He said they won’t know anything until Friday. They expect to get more touchpads from HP, just not if they’ll get enough to fill all the orders. Should know by next Monday whether orders will be cancelled or not. – E-Mail received at 10:11PM EST:
Dear Valued P.C. Richard & Son Customer: Due to the overwhelming and unexpected demand for HP TouchPad tablets, we are sold out. It is currently unclear whether our existing purchase orders with HP or any additional orders will be fulfilled. We are waiting for a definitive response from HP on the status of these orders and will contact you again by e-mail with more information as it becomes available. We do apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience in this matter. If you wish to cancel your order, you can write to us at [email protected] with your name, contact and invoice numbers or call us Monday through Friday at 877-727-1909  from 9am to 7pm for a full refund. Otherwise, please look forward to our update. Thank You, P.C. Richard & Son Internet Team
– For people who ordered over phone. My local PC Richard & Son called me this afternoon (August 25) and said that since I ordered more than 1 HP TouchPads, I have to put more deposit down (more than 10% I initially had) or pay in full to keep my order. Otherwise my order will be cancelled. If I pay in full, my order will be put on hold guaranteed if they receive a shipment. They don’t allow paying in full over phone, have to go to the store for that.
– 9/6 – The remaining order are being cancelled as expected. Both my orders placed on 9/5 at 6:04 am EST with CC’s have been cancelled. – 9/5 – Many orders placed overnight. Those placed with credit cards received order confirmations and number immediately. Monday morning page was removed and cancellations are expected. Page appears legit but also looks like a drop seller or at least does not carry in stock. Other products on their site listed quantities whereas the touchpads said “call for availability”. By afternoon many have received cancellations although either mainly later orders and/or those using Google Checkout.
– Off and on stock today (Mon) – As of this afternoon (8/23), Sam’s Club has started sending out shipping confirmations including FedEx tracking numbers for orders placed on Saturday, 8/20.
– Drop ship seller, hold charge on Paypal, no confirmation email. – Paypal cancelled temp hold on behalf of SeaBoom’s request.
– one lucky guy got price match by chat for 16gb – mrkk http://slickdeals.net/forums/show…ount=35447 – I bought one on Saturday full price. Called on Sunday since I saw the price reduced to $149.99 on their website. Got the email with the credit given yesterday – waiting for my tablet in the mail – Price match by calling. got price match and refund right away. took less than 5 min!! -Out of stock forever, confirmed.
– 9/3 3 AM EST As of 3 AM EST Staples has pulled the HP TouchPad 32 GB. In-store kiosk no longer has this product. – Staples inventory checker link. – They had some 32GB models in store on Saturday (8/20). Some people picked some up, others did not. Most stores were OOS by Sunday (8/21) – Never had stock online when price dropped, the people that got it for $49 bought it before Friday and got it price adjusted.
– Shipping notifications have been sent out to those who were able to buy one. Check order status to confirm.
The Products Store
–16 GB [theproductsstore.com] -32 GB [theproductsstore.com] -Ask about availability before you order <<<< no guarantee you’ll get it quickly -Now showing “site under maintenance” after being unresponsive all day. We actually managed to break the website. Who’s next, newegg?
– Mostly B&M purchases
-08/24/11 Spoke with CSR Kevin during my first call. Apparently, they received 4500 orders for 1000 units. They have not shipped any out. They are currently going through the order and canceling all orders with multiple units ordered. That in addition to people who have been canceling they feel they will be able to finally release the 1000 units to ship by tomorrow. He said call back this afternoon as more information will be available and they may be receiving more stock from HP depending on their final order amount. 8/26/11 Spoke with CSR. She said today is when they should be learning how much they were able to receive from their incoming stock. They will use this stock to try and fufill those ordered that were backordered. If your status has changed from backorder to in process there is still no guarantee that it means you’re getting one. You can call to have a CSR request updated order status for you and they can call/email you the information. -8/26/11 E-mailed Zones about order status. Received this e-mail: Our current inventory is fully committed. We are working with HP to secure additional inventory if it becomes available to fulfill any backorders. Unfortunately, your order is currently on backorder status. At this time we do not have an ETA for the ITEM. Items on backorder will not be charged to your credit card until they are shipped. I ordered a 32GB @ 12:54PM EST on Monday. Order has been “In Process” all week, never listed as BO. Also selected FedEx 2nd Day. -8/26/11 3:30 pm CST: my order status changed to “shipped” with a fedex tracking number. received an email confirmation of shipment about 30 minutes later. i ordered one 32gb at 11:34am CST on 8/22. Order # is 1547xxx. CSR told me this morning that my order was “in the warehouse” and that this meant the order would get shipped today. shocked to see that she was right. Talked to Zones customer service. Apparently the cutoff was 9.00 am PST on 8/22. Mine was 8.55 am for one 16GB which shipped today. They got orders of 50 and 100 which threw their systems off. They now limited max one could order to 10. 8/27/11 9:36am MST: I got a shipping confirmation email and tracking number for my 32GB model. I ordered mine on 8/22/2011 around 10:00am MST. When I called they had just ran out of 16GB and had a few hundred 32GB left according to the CST. Yea, good luck to others still waiting.
EDIT: DEAD. Just called at 6:30PM EST and they are OOS on the veer and Pre 2
All HP smartphones are also on sale for a special $49.99 if you call SMB and ask to buy one. They show “out of stock” in the home and office store, but I just ordered one and the rep told me it would be shipping later today. Received a confirmation immediately after the phone call. Wait times are currently about 5 minutes. Pre 3s are still not available in the US, but they have dropped to $74.99 in the UK if you wish to buy one.
Too bad it’s late again for many of us. I just called and waited ~10 mins. The rep told me they’ve been taking phone orders all the time till about two hours ago. I left my contact info and hopeful that they’ll get some more phones and call me back
You can try ordering one online from SMB and then calling for a pricematch, but this is not guaranteed!
Retailers of the smartphones have not yet begun to drop their prices, but keep your eyes out for that.
How Greedy? How Many Have you Purchased? Poll Which one did you get? Poll Why did you buy one? PollWhat OS will you ultimately put on your Touchpad? Poll Would you buy a Touchpad(s) last week if HP discounted 50% off instead? Poll Watching movies(avi,mpeg etc)/hulu on your Touchpad To watch hulu, movies etc.. on your touchpad, you can use your home PC as the intermediary to do so. Make sure your firewall is properly set to do this.
Out of the box, Hulu.com won’t let you watch movies. But you can watch Hulu directly on your Touchpad by following these directions: http://claptop.com/2011/08/make-hulu-work-on-hp-touchpad/ I advise you to first overclock your Touchpad to maximize the performance you’d get from Hulu.com. Wayne Brady, Son!
Install Tversity media server on your laptop/desktop. After installation, add the files you want to view on the library tab. To add an avi file, go to Library, File system, Files and click add item on top. After the item is added, open cmd prompt on your computer, and type “ipconfig” There you should find your IP address. Note this down.
I just was toying with my 32gb Touchpad and have discovered that Amazon Video On Demand/Prime Videos works and runs rather well (SD haven’t tried HD yet). Audio holds up well but it did take me using the pop out function on the player over full screen to get it to fill the screen and not go wacky/upside down and hang. I did have it hang slightly when first starting it up but pausing and allowing it to buffer allowed it to self correct. I have video I took of it playing Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas I will try and upload (or if someone wants I can e-mail it to them to upload here).
“9.7” LCD Screen Protector For HP TouchPad 16GB 32GB” $3.90 shipped for one.
“3x LCD Screen Protector Guard For HP TouchPad WiFi 3G” $6.69 shipped for three.
“3pc LCD Screen Protector+Stylu?s FOR HP TouchPad Tablet” $6.99 shipped for three + a stylus.
“Hard Shell EVA Case (Black) for HP TouchPad” $10.99 shipped for a hard case.
Best Buyaccessories [bestbuy.com] Best Buy has slashed many accessory prices to 50% off. Note: Save an additional 15%- 20% if you purchase 3-4 or more. Automatic discount when you add quantity of 3 or more to cart. Thanks whitedit & Digitaltj
HP TABLET KNOWLEDGE BASE
@ all the people confused about tracking #’s that show as delivered. Large companies get a pool of tracking codes that they get to use that are usually recycled. Once a company receives an order it sends the shipping company confirmation that it will use that number. you are given that # but since it is recycled it will not update the tracking info until the package is scanned at the distribution center. For people in this situation i would assume you will be receiving your package. It basically means your item is packaged up and a label has been printed it just hasn’t been scanned in by the shipping company
DEMO MODELS YMMV. As of the afternoon of 8/22/2011, several users have reported success activating their demo units with the assumption that HP has released the lock that they had against Demo models. Previously, it was not possible to create a WebOS account from a Display / Demo unit. However, some users still have no success. Fortunately, HP technical support has officially posted instructions [hpwebos.com] to contact them to ship demo units to their repair facility.
* (HP.com) $30 off $150 – use coupon code SAVE30HP (for 32GB model add a cheap filler such as paper [hp.com] and order them one at a time) – YMMV * (HP.com) $15 off $75 – use coupon code SAVE15HP – YMMV * (HP.com) $30 off $150 on Online Orders with Coupon Code: TECHBARG30 – YMMV
BrynaAtHP Bryna Corcoran [twitter.com] Update from SMB: If U ordered b4 2pm ET on Sat. U were in the 1st batch orders. Well done you were ahead of the curve. #justthemessenger
They are out of stock forever, so do not bother ordering from them now. It is uncertain how many of the weekend orders will be fulfilled, but they are trying their best to process them still.
Here is the status description table:
Your order has been received and validated by the HP order desk.
Your order has been moved into manufacturing and is in the production stage.
Your product has been built and is ready for shipment.
The consolidation order status appears for all orders that have been produced and have moved to the consolidation hub. Consolidation occurs for those products that need to be bundled together before shipment.
The products have been shipped from the HP premises and are on their way to the customer.
The products have arrived at customer facilities and Proof of Delivery is returned to HP. There may be orders for which HP is not able to receive a Proof of Delivery in which case the status of the order will remain as ‘shipped.’
* 9.7″ 1024×768 IPS screen, 1.2ghz Snapdragon dual-core * Discontinued by HP (along with all other WebOS devices) just 7 weeks after launch (7/1/11 US) * There WILL BE an android port available.
Things to be careful while trying to install ubuntu: Installed ubuntu(+xfce). Pics here: http://s1200.photobucket.com/albu…/skmslick/ This is not meant for the faint hearted or linux noobs. Must know jargon (ssh, chroot, novaterm). Try at your own risk. Caution: 1. You MUST backup your profile to webos server before beginning with meta doctor (creation of ext3fs) but AFTER installing preware. Otherwise after creating ext3fs and rebooting, when you go to first start screen with webos credentials, your preware will be GONE 2. Also, you MUST build the metadoctor after uncommenting the line INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES = 1. Otherwise you cannot connect to wifi. 3. Guides on lilliputing, infogenra are fairly simplistic. You must read each link they refer to and follow the instructions carefully (must definitely have an idea of architecture in which you are building – important for installing novacom drivers/palm SDK).
How to improve the performance of your new HP TouchPad
How to make your HP TouchPad faster:
The first thing a new TouchPad owner should do is to minimize the logging done by the OS.:
Go into Settings and click on “Device Info”
On the top left menu (named “Device Info”) click on “Custom Application”
On the subsequent Collect Logs screen, select Change Logging Levels
Hit the Set Logging To Minimal and confirm
Another method of quitting out of apps (Minimize) without pressing the button? When you are in an App, put your finger as low on the screen as possible, then quickly swipe upwards, this will do the same as pressing the button. Also, if you do it on the home screen then it will switch to the Launcher.
If you are having problems updating your HP. Get the latest webOS doctor. You may need to do this as current load on webOS servers is extremely heavy due to the huge influx of new touchpad users. To do this, go to your main PC (NOT your touchpad) and first visit your palm profile and log in (same username and pass as your HPTouchpad)
From there, go to device options, and select webOS doctor. Once it’s downloaded, run the program.
Now, take your touchpad (still not plugged into the computer) and turn it off. Insert the USB cable into the touchpad but NOT into the computer just yet. Hold the volume button while turning on the touchpad. This will bring up the USB picture on the touchpad. Once you are at this point, run webOS doctor up until the point where the “next” button is greyed out and it asks you to plug in the touchpad.
Now plug your touchpad into the computer via the USB cable and like magic you’ll have a properly updated touchpad.
As of 8/24/2011 @ 11:00am
Update on the Android on Touchpad project: On top of that the current project took a sour turn when they lost their best dev… many speculators believe this may be the nail in the coffin for Android on HP. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391767,00.asp Response: Just because one member of the group stole money doesn’t mean the project will stop. All they did was shut down the twitter account and say they’re still developing but going into “stealth” mode Counter-Response: I know the devs and without the missing dev, at best this is going to put a HUGE delay on Android. Counter-Counter-Response: Who said they are the only devs working on porting android to the touchpad. There is even a touchpad that was shipped with android from HP, here is some proof [youtube.com] Response: You are reading into your proof. Most experts and analysts believe they were just using the Touch Pad hardware as a testing ground for a future device and the hack has little hope of seeing daylight. http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/qualcomm-already-had-android-running-on-the-touchpad-20110823/ Counter-Response: From the article you linked “I’m given to understand that this might take out a lot of the steps in between having a stock TouchPad and having an Android TouchPad, and the guy who owns this tablet is rumored to now be working with the RootzWiki team. Maybe a step-by-step to getting Android onto the TouchPad is now much closer than before. I guess we’ll find out soon enough!” Response: http://www.touch-droid.com/statement.pdf
-Regardless, the project has been dominated by internal fighting and finger pointing almost from the start so that it’s not immediately clear how quickly (if ever) an Android port will be available.
Look here to find out how to find your onsale/amazon order number to check its status on their webpage.
NOTE: thread provided as a service, source: SlickDeals