Tunisian authorities have arrested twelve suspects in connection with the deadly attack in Sousse, an official has said.
Security forces were still hunting for two men suspected of having trained in Libya with gunman Seifeddine Rezgui who killed 38 people, he added.
Most of those killed on a beach in Sousse were British, along with other European holidaymakers.
ISIS militant group has claimed the attack as its own.
Tunisia’s government fears the attack will destroy its tourism industry, the country’s biggest foreign currency earner.
In March, two gunmen killed 22 people at the famous Bardo museum in Tunisia’s capital, Tunis.
“This is a group who were trained in Libya, and who had the same objective. Two attacked the Bardo and one attacked Sousse,” Lazhar Akremi, minister for parliamentary relations, said, Reuters news agency reports.
“Police are hunting for two more,” he is quoted as saying.
Lazhar Akremi did not say when the arrests were made.
Tunisian authorities have identified 23-year-old student Seifeddine Rezgui as the gunman who carried out the attack.
They have released photos of two suspects, Bin Abdallah and Rafkhe Talari – friends of Seifeddine Rezgui that the police have yet to locate.
ISIS has a significant presence in Libya, Tunisia’s eastern neighbor, and is thought to control the major towns of Derna and Sirte.
The names of those killed in the attack are being released as well as those who are injured and missing.
A group of people have been arrested in Tunisia over the massacre of 38 people, mainly tourists, by gunman Seifeddine Rezgui at the beach resort of Sousse on June 26, the country’s interior minister has said.
Mohamed Gharsalli said 1,000 troops would now be deployed to protect Tunisia’s beach resorts.
Three European ministers have laid flowers at the scene of the attack in a sign of solidarity.
Islamic State (ISIS) has said it was behind the attack.
“We have started by arresting a first group, a significant number of people, from the network that was behind this terrorist criminal,” said Mohamed Gharsalli, referring to Seifeddine Rezgui.
Tunisian authorities say Seifeddine Rezgui was the only attacker, but he had accomplices who provided him with weapons and logistical support, reports AP news agency.
“We are friends against one enemy,” said Mohamed Gharsalli, addressing his counterparts from the UK, Germany and France.
Seifeddine Rezgui came onto the beach from the sea either by jet ski or speedboat at about midday on June 26. He started shooting on the beach, entered the Hotel Imperial Marhaba and ran out of the front of the hotel before the police shot him dead.
The attack was the deadliest in Tunisia’s recent history. In March, militants killed 22 people, mainly foreigners, at the Bardo museum in the capital Tunis.
Tunisian authorities say army reservists will be deployed to tourist sites and that about 80 mosques accused of inciting violence will be closed within a week.
A march has been held in the Tunisian resort town of Sousse to denounce the attack in which at least 38 people – mostly tourists – were killed by a gunman on a nearby beach on June 26.
The crowds gathered late on June 27 at a hotel also targeted by the attacker.
They marched through the town expressing sympathy with relatives of the victims, 15 of whom were British.
Tunisia’s PM Habib Essid announced a security clampdown after the attack claimed by Islamic State (ISIS).
Habib Essid said army reservists would be deployed to tourist sites. About 80 mosques accused of inciting violence would be closed within a week.
Friday’s attack was the deadliest in Tunisia’s recent history.
In March, militants killed 22 people, mainly foreigners, at the Bardo museum in the capital Tunis.
The demonstrators marched after dark on the streets of Sousse, with many holding candles to mourn the victims of Friday’s attack.
“Sousse will never die!” the crowds chanted.
A separate rally was held in Tunis.
One Belgian and one German have so far been identified among the dead, the Tunisian health ministry said. One citizen of the Irish Republic is also confirmed dead. There were also thought to be Tunisians killed in the attack.
At least 36 people were injured, some seriously.
Many of the tourists in hotels targeted in the attack have left the country or are waiting for specially arranged flights, but correspondents noted a few were back by the hotel pool on Saturday, vowing they would continue their holidays as scheduled.
Tunisia’s economy relies on tourism, and there are fears that the recent attacks will deal a major blow to the industry.
Security officials said the attacker, who posed as a swimmer but was carrying a rifle under a parasol, started shooting on the beach before entering the Hotel Imperial Marhaba, continuing to shoot.
Officials later identified the gunman as 23-year-old student Seifeddine Rezgui. They said they had no inkling of what he had been planning.
Tunisia has recently seen militant Islamists gain strength since the overthrow of long-serving ruler Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali in in 2011.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.