President Donald Trump has attacked Judge James Robart, who blocked his travel ban, saying Americans should blame the courts “if something happens”.
He also said he had instructed border officials to check people entering America “very carefully”.
The federal appeals court on February 4 rejected the Trump administration’s request to reinstate the ban.
The travel ban, affecting people from seven mainly-Muslim countries, was blocked by Seattle’s federal judge on February 3.
This means that President Trump’s directive will remain suspended and visa holders from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen will be allowed to enter the US until the full case has been heard.
Image source Fox2
The White House and two states challenging the ban have been given a deadline of February 6 to present more arguments.
On February 5, President Trump ramped up his criticism of Judge James Robart, who blocked the ban, and the country’s judiciary.
Donald Trump tweeted: “I have instructed Homeland Security to check people coming into our country VERY CAREFULLY. The courts are making the job very difficult!”
“Just cannot believe a judge would put our country in such peril. If something happens blame him and court system. People pouring in. Bad!”
President Trump earlier called Judge James Robart’s ruling “ridiculous”, described him as a “so-called judge”.
The US government is imposing travel restrictions on a number of Venezuelan officials.
Officials did not specify how many people would be affected, but said those “who have been responsible for or complicit in human rights abuses” would not be “welcome” in the US.
The Venezuelan opposition has been lobbying for sanctions since thousands of protesters were detained during anti-government protests.
At least 43 people were killed in the protests.
The victims were from both sides of the political divide.
The US government is imposing travel restrictions on a number of Venezuelan officials
Relations between the US and Venezuela took a turn for the worse on Sunday when the former head of Venezuelan military intelligence, Gen Hugo Carvajal, was released from custody in the Caribbean and given a hero’s welcome in Caracas.
Gen. Hugo Carvajal had been detained on the Dutch Caribbean island of Aruba over US accusations of drug-trafficking activities.
The US Treasury said he had been protecting drug shipments by Colombian FARC rebels.
He was released after Venezuela claimed he had diplomatic immunity because he had been appointed as Venezuela’s consul in Aruba.
The US said his release was “deeply disappointing” and accused Venezuela of threatening Aruba and the Netherlands into freeing Gen Carvajal.
In a statement released on Wednesday, US state department spokeswoman Marie Harf said the travel restrictions were in response to “arbitrary detentions and excessive use of force” by Venezuelan officials as they tried to contain growing anti-government protest.
Hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans took to the streets in February and March in protest at skyrocketing inflation, high crime rates and shortages of some basic staples.
Key opposition figures behind the protests were arrested and have been charged with inciting violence.
Thousands of protesters were detained, many of them have since been released but there have been allegations they were intimidated, beaten and even tortured.
The Venezuelan government says it is investigating dozens of members of the security forces in connection with the allegations.
The demonstrations have since become smaller and less frequent but tensions in the deeply divided country remain high.
Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro has accused the opposition of trying to launch a coup against his government at the behest of “the imperialist US force”.