An assault charge against Justin Bieber stemming from an alleged 2013 attack on a limo driver in Toronto has been dropped by the Canadian prosecutors.
A driver who picked up Justin Bieber and his entourage from a nightclub in December 2013 said one of the passengers struck him.
However, a prosecutor said on September 8 the evidence could not prove the singer was the assailant.
Justin Bieber still faces separate assault charges in his native Ontario.
In August, police said Justin Bieber crashed his quad bike into a minivan in Stratford, and was arrested after allegedly getting to a fight with the other vehicle’s driver.
Ontario Provincial Police released him on a promise to appear in court on September 29 on charges of assault and dangerous driving.
Justin Bieber has had multiple legal troubles over the past year but has avoided jail time (photo Getty Images)
His lawyer, Brian Greenspan, has said Justin Bieber’s “peaceful retreat in Stratford this weekend was unfortunately disrupted by the unwelcome presence of the paparazzi”.
“This has regrettably resulted in charges of dangerous driving and assault.”
In the December 2013 case involving the limo driver, prosecutor David Mitchell told a court the Crown had decided to withdraw the charge after a review of the evidence indicated the prosecution would be unable to confirm the assailant was Justin Bieber.
“There were a number of people in the vehicle seated behind the driver at the time of the incident and the Crown is not in a position to establish the identity of the person who came into contact with the complainant beyond a reasonable doubt based on the available evidence,” David Mitchell said, according to the Toronto Sun.
Justin Bieber has had multiple legal troubles over the past year but has avoided jail time.
Last month Justin Bieber pleaded guilty in Florida to careless driving and resisting arrest in a deal that avoided a drugged-driving conviction.
[youtube u7PE3sYoxZI 650]
In July, Justin Bieber pleaded no contest to a vandalism charge in California for throwing eggs at a neighbor’s house.
Justin Bieber has been charged with assaulting a limousine driver in Toronto last month.
Justin Bieber, 19, handed himself in at a Toronto police station where he was mobbed by TV crews, news photographers and screaming teenage fans.
The charge comes a week after he was arrested and charged for a separate incident in Florida for driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
A lawyer for Justin Bieber said his client was innocent.
Justin Bieber handed himself in at a Toronto police station where he was mobbed by TV crews, news photographers and screaming teenage fans
Toronto police say that Justin Bieber was one of six people picked up by a limousine outside a nightclub in the early hours of December 30.
“While driving the group to a hotel, an altercation occurred between one of the passengers and the driver of the limousine,” a police statement said.
“In the course of the altercation, a man struck the limousine driver on the back of the head several times.
“The driver stopped the limousine, exited the vehicle and called police. The man who struck him left the scene before police arrived.”
After surrendering to police on Wednesday, Justin Bieber was charged with one count of assault and is scheduled to appear in court in Toronto on March 10.
Howard Weitzman, Justin Bieber’s lawyer in California, said the entertainer was innocent and that he expected the case to be treated as a summary offence, which is the equivalent of a misdemeanor in the US.
A massive ice storm has brought snow and freezing rain to Toronto, and to much of the east of Canada.
The storm has left some 400,000 people in the region without electricity and forced the closure of parts of its public transport system.
Travelers were stranded at airports in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal as dozens of flights were cancelled or delayed.
At least 11 deaths have been blamed on the storm system in the US and Canada.
Toronto’s Mayor Rob Ford called the storm “one of the worst storms in Toronto history,” saying that a state of emergency may be called on Monday.
Rob Ford said the city’s top priority is restoring power to two hospitals, Sunnybrook and Toronto East General.
The Toronto Hydro power company said that it may take up to 72 hours to get everybody in the city reconnected.
A massive ice storm has brought snow and freezing rain to Toronto, and to much of the east of Canada
Many flights were also cancelled in the US due to the storm, at one of the busiest travel periods of the year.
More than 400,000 people were also left without power in Michigan, New York state and New England.
The US’s National Weather Service described the storm system as “complex and large”, warning that “another round of snow and ice” was expected for New England on Monday as the storm winds down.
At least four people were killed by flooding caused by the storm in Kentucky, while a tornado was reported to have caused extensive damage in Arkansas.
However, the system has also brought record high temperatures to some parts of the east coast of the US, with the temperature in New York’s Central Park reaching 21C, with records also being set in several other cities.
Radiohead have decided to postpone part of their European tour, following a stage collapse in Toronto which killed a crew member and injured three others.
A statement on the band’s website said the group was still “dealing with the grief and shock” from the accident which killed technician Scott Johnson.
The collapse caused serious damage to equipment which would “take many weeks to replace”, the statement continued.
Seven shows in Italy, Germany and Switzerland have been postponed.
Radiohead have decided to postpone part of their European tour, following a stage collapse in Toronto which killed a crew member and injured three others
Radiohead will resume their tour on 10 July in Nimes. New dates for the cancelled shows are expected to be announced on 27 June.
“Whilst we all are dealing with the grief and shock ensuing from this terrible accident, there are also many practical considerations to deal with,” the statement said.
“The collapse also destroyed the light show – this show was unique and will take many weeks to replace.”
Radiohead said its backline set-up – a term that refers to amplifiers that typically sit at the back of the stage – had also been seriously damaged “some elements of which are decades old and therefore hard to replace”.
Canadian authorities have launched an investigation into the collapse at Downsview Park, which happened last weekend approximately an hour before the band was due on stage.