A female suicide bomber has attacked a police station in the tourist hub of Sultanahmet in Istanbul, Turkey, injuring two officers, the city governor says.
Reports say one of the officers has died of his injuries.
Governor Vasip Sahin told Turkish TV that the woman spoke English with “a thick accent”, but her nationality and identity remained unknown.
No group has yet said it was behind the attack, the second on police in a week.
Police arrested a man who threw grenades and fired a weapon at officers near the prime minister’s office on January 1, but no-one was injured in the attack.
The bomber in the latest incident was reported to have died in the attack.
Police have sealed off an area in the historic district, where the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia museum are located.
Vasip Sahin said the woman entered the station and told police she had lost her wallet before detonating the bomb.
“Right now one police officer is in hospital in a critical condition and another is lightly injured… The female bomber lost her life.”
The banned Marxist DHKP-C group said it was behind the earlier attack in the city on January 1, which took place outside Dolmabahce Palace.
[youtube r2Yw3F1bM6Q 650]
At least one person has been killed in a blast outside the US embassy in the Turkish capital, Ankara, with reports that it was a suicide bomber.
Dozens of ambulances and fire engines rushed to the scene after the explosion, in an area which is home to diplomatic missions.
According to Turkish broadcaster NTV, the explosion caused no damage inside the embassy itself.
There were no reports of any group saying it had carried out the attack.
The AP news agency quoted police as saying two people had been killed in a suicide attack and NTV said two security guards at the entrance had died.
A number of illegal groups ranging from Kurdish separatists to leftist and Islamist militants have launched attacks in recent years in Turkey, which is a member of NATO.
At least one person has been killed in a blast outside the US embassy in the Turkish capital, Ankara, with reports that it was a suicide bomber
A suicide bomber has killed at least 20 people, three of them NATO soldiers, in the eastern Afghan city of Khost, according to NATO and local officials.
NATO did not confirm the nationalities of the soldiers, but correspondents say US troops operate in the area.
The Taliban claimed the attack, which also killed 10 civilians, six police and an Afghan interpreter for NATO.
Witnesses said the attacker waited for the soldiers to leave their vehicles before detonating the bomb.
About 60 people were wounded in the attack, some critically.
“A suicide bomber on a motorcycle targeted a joint patrol in Khost city in a crowded area,” the governor’s office said.
Khost, like other parts of eastern Afghanistan, has seen a dramatic rise in violence.
In June, a suicide bomber killed 21 people including three US troops and a local interpreter in the city.
The Taliban-affiliated Haqqani network regularly mount large-scale attacks and suicide bombings in the area.
Over the weekend, a shooting at a checkpoint in eastern Afghanistan took the US military’s death toll in the war past 2,000.
Three US soldiers and contractor were killed in the attack in Wardak province on Saturday, along with three Afghan soldiers.
More than 30 people have been killed in Yemen after a suspected suicide bomber has struck a village in the southern province of Abyan.
Dozens more were wounded in the attack on a funeral service in the city of Jaar, Yemeni officials said.
Military officials told Associated Press the funeral was for a man linked to militias which had helped the army in their fight against al-Qaeda.
They said five suspected al-Qaeda militants had been killed earlier in the day.
The men were killed in a suspected US drone strike on their vehicle in Hadramawt province.
More than 30 people have been killed in Yemen after a suspected suicide bomber has struck a village in the southern province of Abyan
Local governor Jamal al-Aqal said in a statement that an investigation had been opened into the “criminal and cowardly” attack on the funeral service.
A witness told the AFP news agency that “the suicide bomber belonged to the al-Qaeda network”.
The Yemeni army carried out a major offensive against Islamist militants in Abyan earlier this year, taking control of the region in June with the help of civilian militias comprised of local tribesmen.
Separatist unrest and al-Qaeda-linked militants such as Ansar al-Sharia have plagued the south for years.
Bulgarian police have released a composite image of the suspected suicide bomber who killed five Israeli tourists and a local driver on a bus on 18 July.
The bomber, who blew up a bus in the Black Sea resort of Burgas, has not been identified yet.
Forensic experts created the image of a dark-haired man with pale skin. The bomber’s head was found at the scene.
Bulgarian police have released a composite image of the suspected suicide bomber in Burgas
Police suspect that he entered Bulgaria in June and had accomplices.
But Bulgaria has declined to back Israeli claims that Iran and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah played a role.
As well as those killed, dozens of people were wounded in the blast.
Shortly after the bombing, Bulgarian authorities released CCTV images of the suspected bomber, but they appeared to contrast with some witness descriptions.
So far no match has been found in international databases for the fingerprints and DNA samples taken after the bombing.
At least six people have been killed in two explosions at the offices of major Nigerian daily ThisDay, according to witnesses.
Three people were killed in a blast in Abuja, with another three killed at the paper’s offices in the northern city of Kaduna.
Witnesses say at least one was a suicide bombing, but officials say it is too early to say.
No-one has said it carried out the blasts although the Islamist group Boko Haram has staged similar attacks.
Both blasts are reported to have occurred at the offices of the ThisDay newspaper, a Nigerian leading daily.
At least six people have been killed in two explosions at the offices of major Nigerian daily ThisDay
Details remain sketchy but several witnesses, including the chairman of ThisDay‘s editorial board, said the blasts were the result of a suicide attack.
“The suicide bomber came in a jeep,” Olusegun Adeniyi told reporters at the scene in Abuja.
“[Security guards] opened the gate for them… The guy drove in through the gate and rammed into the building and exploded,” Olusegun Adeniyi said.
However, a spokesperson for Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency earlier said the Abuja blast appeared to be caused by a bomb planted inside the building.
The Kaduna explosion happened outside a complex housing a number of newspapers, including ThisDay.
A suspect has been arrested and is thought to be a member of the Boko Haram group, news agency AFP reports police as saying.
Footage filmed by the Nigerian paper the Daily Trust, showed a scene of confusion in Abuja as people sifted through the rubble as a number of small fires burned.
Police and paramilitary forces have cordoned off both offices, while emergency workers evacuated the injured and removed the bodies of those who died, witnesses say.
“The ceiling of our building collapsed on to our computers because of the force of the blast,” said an Abuja office worker in the building next door to ThisDay.
Boko Haram – whose name means “Western education is forbidden” – wants to establish Islamic law in Nigeria and has launched a series of deadly attacks across the country, including the capital, in the past 19 months.
Last month the group warned journalists not to misrepresent their views.