Suge Knight is being sought by police after a man was killed and another injured in Los Angeles.
The 49-year-old record producer is suspected of running the men over after an argument on a film set.
“So far we have not confirmed it was him, driving the truck. So we’re not saying Suge Knight was driving the truck at this time,” said Lt John Corina, from Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
“Although we want to talk to him, since the truck supposedly belongs to him.”
A lawyer for the Death Row Records founder seemed to confirm Suge Knight had been driving at the time but claimed it was an accident and he was running away from attackers.
“He was in the process of being physically assaulted by two men and in an effort to escape he unfortunately hit two (other) individuals,” lawyer James Blatt said.
“He was in his car trying to escape.
“We are confident that once the investigation is completed, he will be totally exonerated,” James Blatt added.
Suge Knight planned to turn himself in to authorities, he said.
Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt John Corina said: “From the people we’ve talked to so far, and we still have more witnesses to talk to, so far the people we’ve talked to say it looked like it was an intentional act.
“So we’re handling it as a homicide.”
Police say a red pickup truck hit the men while they were in the car park of a fast-food restaurant and then drove away.
A 55-year-old man died at a hospital and a 51-year-old man was injured but John Corina did not have any more information about his condition.
The empty truck was found on January 29 in a West Los Angeles car park.
It’s been claimed that Marion “Suge” Knight drove to the fast-food restaurant car park after an argument on the set of a film about rap pioneers NWA.
Witnesses said another argument then occurred before the accident.
James Blatt said he had not yet spoken to Suge Knight but that he planned to negotiate to surrender. There is no word yet on when that will happen.
Suge Knight was shot during a pre-VMA party hosted by Chris Brown at 1OAK nightclub in West Hollywood, California, on early Sunday morning, August 24, Billboard reported.
The former Death Row Records CEO went into surgery following the incident and is now recovering in the ICU, according to TMZ.
Marion “Suge” Knight, 49, reportedly left the club himself before being spotted by police and sent to the hospital in an ambulance.
He was shot in the stomach, arm and other places, sources told TMZ.
The shooting took place at about 1:30 a.m on Sunday during a pre-VMA party hosted by Chris Brown at 1OAK.
The party is unaffiliated with MTV.
Others in attendance included Tyson Beckford, Robert Ri’chard and apl.de.ap.
Suge Knight was shot during a pre-VMA party hosted by Chris Brown at 1OAK nightclub in West Hollywood (photo Getty Images)
Two men and a woman were also shot.
“They were transported to local hospitals and they are expected to recover,” the L.A. Sheriff’s Department said in a statement to People magazine. The shooter is still unknown, but a gang rivalry could be a possible motive, according to TMZ.
About an hour-a-half before the shooting, a fight reportedly broke out between The Game’s entourage and the club’s security guards after the rapper was denied entry into the party. It’s unclear whether that incident was related to Suge Knight’s shooting, TMZ reported.
On Sunday morning, Chris Brown took to Twitter to speak out about what had happened.
“It’s disappointing that we as a society can’t enjoy ourselves without any altercations sometimes,” the singer tweeted.
“Miss me with the bullshit!”
This is the second time Suge Knight has been shot during a pre-VMA party.
In 2005, Suge Knight was shot in the leg during an event hosted by Kanye West at Shore Club in Miami Beach, Florida.