Foodles Production, the company behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is being prosecuted over the incident in which Harrison Ford broke his leg.
Harrison Ford was struck by a hydraulic metal door on the Pinewood set of the Millennium Falcon in June 2014.
The Health And Safety Executive (HSE) has brought four criminal charges against Foodles Production Ltd – a UK subsidiary of Disney.
Foodles Production said it was “disappointed” by the HSE’s decision.
Following the incident, Ford was airlifted to hospital for surgery.
Following an investigation, the HSE said it believed there was sufficient evidence about the incident which left Harrison Ford with serious injuries, to bring four charges relating to alleged health and safety breaches.
A spokesperson added: “By law, employers must take reasonable steps to protect workers – this is as true on a film set as a factory floor.”
Foodles Production is the company responsible for producing Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens, and as such is culpable under health and safety law.
Representatives of the production company will appear at High Wycombe Magistrates Court on May 12.
A spokesman for Foodles Production said: “Cast and crew safety is always a top priority. We provided full co-operation during HSE’s investigation into the on-set accident that occurred in June 2014 and are disappointed in HSE’s decision.”
Star Wars: The Force Awakens was filmed at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, the UK.
Production of Star Wars: Episode VIII has already got under way at Pinewood, and is due for release in December 2017.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens has set a new opening night box office record in the US and Canada, industry experts said.
The new Star Wars movie made $57 million on December 17, beating the previous record of $43.5 million held by Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 in 2011.
Analysts say the space saga could become the biggest selling movie of all time.
Rentrak’s Paul Dergarabedian, one of Hollywood’s best-known box office analysts, said the movie’s opening night performance in the US and Canada “portends a massive and potentially record-breaking opening day and weekend for the film”.
Analysts expect The Force Awakens to make about $200 million in the US and Canada over its opening weekend, a total that could challenge the record Jurassic World set earlier this year.
The latest installment in the dinosaur theme park franchise made almost $209 million in its first three days on North American release in June.
Analysts say The Force Awakens opened on December 17 so would have to perform staggeringly well over the weekend to top the latest James Bond movie.
Directed by JJ Abrams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens returns to “a galaxy far, far away” some 30 years on from the action of 1983’s Return of the Jedi.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens sees original trilogy stars Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher reprise their Han Solo and Princess Leia roles alongside younger franchise newcomers.
Highly anticipated Star Wars: The Force Awakens has had its world premiere in Los Angeles.
Stars attended from the original series, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, as well as newcomers including John Boyega and Daisy Ridley.
Security was tight, with a giant tent shrouding the red carpet.
The plot of the new addition to the Star Wars franchise remains a closely-guarded secret and a media embargo on reviews is in place until December 16.
Some reviewers did comment briefly on Twitter, however.
Fans had been camping out for days outside the TCL Chinese Theatre, which along with other LA venues screened the seventh Star Wars installment.
The TCL Chinese Theatre – formerly known as Grauman’s Chinese Theatre – hosted the premiere for the first Star Wars movie in 1977.
More than 150 fans lined up to buy tickets for the first public screenings of Episode VII on December 17 but they got a surprise when they were all invited into one of the three cinemas showing the premiere.