Lawyers say there have also been attempts to photograph inside the couple’s home using long-range lenses and they accuse the paparazzi of being camped outside the property.
Under laws in British Columbia, Meghan Markle may have grounds for a legal case if she can prove her privacy has been violated, although freedom of the press and expression is guaranteed under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
This comes after Queen Elizabeth II agreed to Prince Harry and Meghan’s wish to step back from being full-time royals, to become financially independent and to split their time between the UK and Canada.
On January 20, Meghan Markle was pictured carrying the couple’s eight-month-old son Archie in a baby sling, while walking her two dogs, Guy and Oz, in Horth Hill Regional Park on Vancouver Island.
Prince Harry arrived back in Canada on January 21 after attending the UK-Africa Investment Summit in London on January 20.
The Duke of Sussex had been apart from Meghan and their son for more than 10 days, after she flew back to Canada earlier this month.
On January 18, it was announced that from the spring, Prince Harry and his wife will no longer be full-time working royals.
They will stop using their HRH titles, no longer carry out royal duties or military appointments and no longer formally represent the Queen.
Prince Harry has long had an uneasy relationship with the media, having grown up aware of the impact the intense media interest had on the life of his late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, who died in a car crash in Paris while being pursued by paparazzi on motorbikes.
He has often compared Meghan’s experiences of the press with those of his late mother.
Queen Elizabeth II has agreed a “period of transition” in which Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will spend time in Canada and the UK.
The Queen said she was “entirely supportive” of their desire for a new role but “would have preferred” them to remain full-time working royals.
She expected final decisions to be made in the coming days, she said.
Senior royals have been in talks about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s role after they said they wanted to “step back”.
In a statement, Queen Elizabeth said the talks at Sandringham, which also involved the Prince Charles Wales and Prince William, had been “very constructive”.
She said: “My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family.
“Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.”
The Queen said it had been agreed there would be “a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK” after Harry and Meghan “made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives”.
She said: “These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days.”
The urgent talks were convened after the Sussexes surprised the rest of the Royal Family on January 8 with a statement expressing their desire to “step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family”.
Prince Harry and Meghan also said they wanted a “progressive new role” within the institution, where they would be financially independent and divide their time between the UK and North America.
Meanwhile, Canadian PM Justin Trudeau told Global News there had been “no discussions” about the details of the royal couple’s move, including on the issues of security and any potential impact on Canada’s taxpayers.
Although no other family member was consulted about the timing of the announcement, Prince Harry and Meghan said it came after “many months of reflection and internal discussions”.
Both the Duke and Duchess of Sussex spoke of the difficulties of royal life and media attention in recent months, with the duke saying he feared his wife would fall victim to “the same powerful forces” that led to his mother’s death.
The talks about their future took place as Prince Harry and Prince William issued a joint statement denying “false claims” that their relationship had been damaged by “bullying” on the part of the older brother.
They said that the “inflammatory language” in the claims was “offensive” and “potentially harmful”, given their support for mental health causes.
The meeting at the Queen’s estate in Norfolk – being described as the ‘Sandringham summit’ – will be the first time the monarch has come face-to-face with Prince Harry since the Sussexes’ announcement, which was posted on their official Instagram account.
The Royal Family was said to be “hurt” at the couple’s statement. It is understood the Queen was not consulted in advance of their decision.
Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, William and Harry are expected to review a range of possibilities for the Sussexes, taking into account plans outlined by the couple.
If a deal is agreed in the coming days, there is a general understanding that it will take some time to implement.
Prince Charles is currently in Oman, after travelling overnight to attend the first of three days of official condolences following the death of Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex said they plan to balance their time between the UK and North America while “continuing to honor our duty to the Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages”.
“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.”
A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said discussions with the royal couple on their decision to step back were “at an early stage”, adding: “We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
Over Christmas, Prince Harry and Meghan took a six-week break from royal duties to spend some time in Canada with their son, Archie, who was born in May.
After returning to the UK on January 7, Prince Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, visited Canada’s High Commission in London to thank the country for hosting them and said the warmth and hospitality they received was “unbelievable”.
During the visit, Meghan said it was an “incredible time” to enjoy the “beauty of Canada”.
She said: “To see Archie go ‘ah’ when you walk by, and just see how stunning it is – so it meant a lot to us.”
Former actress Meghan Markel lived and worked in Toronto during her time starring in the popular American drama Suits, and she has several Canadian friends.
Prince Harry’ move was compared by specialists to Edward VIII’s abdication in 1936 in order to marry twice-divorced American Wallis Simpson.
The Duke of Sussex is sixth in line to the throne – behind Prince Charles, Prince William and his three children.
In an ITV documentary in 2019, Meghan Markle admitted motherhood was a “struggle” due to intense interest from newspapers.
Prince Harry also responded to reports of a rift between him and his brother William, the Duke of Cambridge, by saying they were on “different paths”.
In October, Meghan began legal action against the Mailon Sunday over a claim that it unlawfully published one of her private letters.
Prince Harry also began legal action against the owners of the Sun, the defunct News of the World, and the Daily Mirror, in relation to alleged phone-hacking.