Rolf Harris has been sentenced to five years and 9 months in jail for 12 assaults against four girls.
Rolf Harris, 84, who was found guilty of offences that took place between 1968 and 1986, was told by the judge he had “no-one to blame but himself”.
The judge said Rolf Harris had taken advantage of his celebrity status and had shown “no remorse”.
One victim said the abuse had taken away her “childhood innocence”.
Rolf Harris’s sentence of five years and nine months has already been referred to the Attorney General’s Office under the “unduly lenient sentence scheme”.
Rolf Harris has been sentenced to five years and 9 months in jail for 12 assaults against four girls (photo AP)
A spokesman for the office said it “only takes one person to trigger the process”, and the sentence must be considered within 28 days for possible referral to the Court of Appeal.
The judge said Rolf Harris had “clearly got a thrill from committing some of these offences” against the four girls, one of whom who was just seven or eight.
The other victims were two young teenagers and a childhood friend of Rolf Harris’s daughter Bindi, whom he abused between the ages of 13 and 19.
The judge said the assaults resulted in her suffering panic attacks, anxiety and led to her becoming an alcoholic, saying she had “suffered severe psychological harm”.
Speaking after sentencing, she said the jail term was “immaterial”.
“I feel fine, I think the guilty verdict was actually what I wanted, what I went to court for,” she said.
She added: “I do hope that women will come forward now, celebrity or not.”
Rolf Harris is likely to serve half the sentence in prison and was told he would not have to pay compensation to his victims. However, the judge said he could have to pay the costs of the prosecution.
Two of Rolf Harris’s victims were in court for the sentencing, which saw members of the press and public fill the public gallery and watch from an overspill court via a video feed.
[youtube wadSuH7lq54 650]
Entertainer Rolf Harris is due to be sentenced for assaulting four girls in the 1960s, 70s and 80s.
Rolf Harris, 84, was found guilty of all the 12 charges he faced after an eight-week trial at London’s Southwark Crown Court.
One of the girls was a childhood friend of his daughter, whom he repeatedly assaulted from when she was 13.
The judge had previously warned Rolf Harris that he was facing jail.
Rolf Harris is due to be sentenced for assaulting four girls in the 1960s, 70s and 80s
The trial, which ended on Monday, had heard how Rolf Harris used his “status and position” to abuse his victims and that the former television presenter had a dark side to his personality.
The central allegation concerned Rolf Harris’s daughter’s friend, whom the court heard he had molested from the age of 13 until she was 19.
An Australian woman Tonya Lee – who has waived her legal right to anonymity – said he had abused her three times on one day while she was on a theatre group trip to the UK at the age of 15.
Six women also told the court about assaults Rolf Harris had carried out against them in Australia, New Zealand and Malta. He could not be prosecuted over these incidents in a British court but the evidence was introduced as an added illustration of his behavior.
Rolf Harris, from Bray, Berkshire, was first questioned in November 2012 in Scotland Yard’s Operation Yewtree investigation set up in the wake of revelations about abuse committed by BBC presenter Jimmy Savile.
Lawyers for Rolf Harris wrote to media organizations at the time warning them against naming the entertainer and threatening libel action.
When Rolf Harris was arrested again in March 2013 the police did not name him and the entertainer was not identified in the mainstream media until a few weeks later.
[youtube NnMk_7MRkJE 650]
Police in the UK is considering fresh allegations against entertainer Rolf Harris after he was convicted of assaulting four girls.
Rolf Harris, 84, was found guilty on June 30 of 12 counts of assault in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
Following the verdict, police said it would look at fresh allegations, which did not form part of his trial.
Dozens more of Rolf Harris’ alleged victims came forward during the trial, some from his native Australia.
Australian PM Tony Abbott said he was “gutted and dismayed” by the conviction of the Perth-born artist and entertainer.
Fresh allegations are considered against Rolf Harris after he was convicted of assaulting four girls
Prosecutors said Harris was a “Jekyll and Hyde” character who took advantage of his fame.
The judge said a custodial term would be “uppermost in the court’s mind” when sentence was delivered on Friday, but he wanted to see a medical report before passing sentence.
Six other women also told the court about assaults Rolf Harris had carried out against them. The entertainer was not prosecuted over those incidents but the evidence was introduced by the prosecution as an added illustration of his behavior.
Speaking after the entertainer was convicted, Detective Chief Inspector Mick Orchard, said: “I want to thank the women who came forward for their bravery, I hope today’s guilty verdict will give them closure and help them to begin to move on with their lives.
“Today’s case and verdict once again shows that we will always listen to, and investigate allegations regardless of the time frame or those involved.”
A police spokesman added the force had “received a number of allegations and these are now being considered”.
Rolf Harris was a mainstay of family entertainment in Britain and his native Australia for more than 50 years. He arrived in London in 1952, becoming a fixture on TV screens as a children’s entertainer and songwriter.
[youtube R1GHhjE_1r8 650]
A London court has found Rolf Harris guilty of assaulting four girls between 1968 and 1986.
The 84-year-old entertainer was convicted of 12 attacks.
Rolf Harris has been found guilty of assaulting four girls between 1968 and 1986
One of the victims was a childhood friend of Rolf Harris’ daughter, Bindi. Another was aged seven or eight.
During his seven-week trial, prosecutors portrayed Rolf Harris as a “Jekyll and Hyde” character, who had a dark side to his personality.
Rolf Harris will be sentenced on Friday.
Judge Justice Sweeney said a custodial term was “uppermost in the court’s mind”.
The Southwark Crown Court jury deliberated for 37 hours and 45 minutes before reaching their unanimous verdicts.
Rolf Harris has arrived at a London court, where he is due to stand trial on 12 counts of assault.
Rolf Harris, 84, was accompanied at Southwark Crown Court by his wife, Alwen Hughes, and a security team.
Rolf Harris has arrived at a London court, where he is due to stand trial on 12 counts of assault
He denies assaulting four girls, the youngest of whom was seven or eight and the oldest 19, between 1968 and 1986.
Jury selection was expected to begin on Tuesday, with the prosecution case set to open later in the week.
The entertainer entered not guilty pleas at a hearing in January.
Rolf Harris’ trial is expected to last for more than six weeks.
[youtube fmgoneKjVLY 650]