Celine Dion has announced she is putting her career on hold “indefinitely” for health and family reasons.
Celine Dion, 46, announced on her website she was cancelling all performances to focus on her health, her husband’s health and their children.
The singer’s Las Vegas shows up until March have all been cancelled, as well as her planned tour of Asia this autumn.
Celine Dion’s manager-husband, Rene Angelil, had surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in December.
The singer is also still recovering from an illness that inflamed her throat muscles and has not been able to perform any of her scheduled Las Vegas shows since July 19.
Celine Dion is putting her career on hold indefinitely for health and family reasons (photo Getty Images)
A statement on Celine Dion’s website said she had made the decision “in order to focus 100% of her attention” on her husband and family.
It added it had been a “very difficult and stressful time for the couple as they deal with the day-to-day challenges of fighting this disease while trying to juggle a very active showbusiness schedule, and raise their three young children”.
Celine Dion said: “I want to devote every ounce of my strength and energy to my husband’s healing, and to do so, it’s important for me to dedicate this time to him and to our children.”
“I also want to apologize to all my fans everywhere, for inconveniencing them, and I thank them so much for their love and support.”
Fans who bought tickets for future shows will be eligible for refunds.
Celine Dion previously took a two-year hiatus from 2000 to 2002 to help care for her husband when he was diagnosed with throat cancer. Soon after, she gave birth to her first child.
She has been a regular performer at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, which began with a near five-year residency from 2003 to 2007.
Celine Dion’s current residency began in 2011 and, although it was originally billed as a three-year event, was last year extended through to 2019.
An audacious thief has been arrested after allegedly breaking into Celine Dion’s house, raiding the family’s fridge and taking a bath.
The 36 year-old burglar even found time to scoff some pasta at the Celine’s Dion luxury residence near Montreal.
Fortunately, Celin Dion and her husband Rene Angelil were not put in danger as they were not at the property at the moment.
Celine Dion and her husband Rene Angelil
The criminal was caught by police on Tuesday afternoon in Canadian city Laval after the alarm system of Celine Dion’s house went off.
According to local police spokesman Franco Di Genova, the suspect was getting ready to run a nice hot bath when police arrived with a canine unit.
Franco Di Genova said:
“He opened the water taps, was pouring a nice warmish bath (and) he even managed to eat some pastry that was in the fridge.
“The suspect was coming down the big staircase and was asking: <<Hey, guys what are you doing here?>>
“So the officers replied: <<What are you doing here?>> and they proceeded to put him under arrest.”
It was reported that the criminal jumped over a fence to access the Celine Dion’s property after pinching a garage door opener he found in an unlocked vehicle.
The burglar, named Daniel Bedard, 36, who is a Laval resident, was arraigned on charges including breaking and entering, car theft and causing property damage.
Police spokesman Franco Di Genova added that there was another incident at Celine Dion‘s mansion in 2009 when another man jumped the fence, but was stopped by the security firm that was keeping an eye on the property before he could enter the home.
Celine Dion, 43, and Rene Angelil usually live in Florida but use the Laval home when they return to Quebec, where the famous singer was born and raised.
Celine Dion has a 10 year-old son and 10 month old fraternal twins with Rene Angelil, who is 26 years her senior.