Piers Morgan’s CNN prime-time talk show – Piers Morgan Live – is to be canceled.
Piers Morgan, 48, told The New York Times it had been “a painful period” for the show, which has suffered lacklustre ratings.
CNN’s audience had tired of hearing a Briton weigh in on American cultural issues, he said.
Piers Morgan said he was in discussions with CNN about a new role at the channel following the end of the show, probably in March.
The former Daily Mirror editor replaced veteran host Larry King three years ago and interviewed statesman and celebrities, including ex-President Bill Clinton, and financier Warren Buffett. Oprah Winfrey was Piers Morgan Live’s first guest.
Piers Morgan’s CNN prime-time talk show is to be canceled
But it was his outspoken remarks about gun ownership that have garnered most attention in recent months.
“Look, I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarizing, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it,” Piers Morgan told the New York Times.
Piers Morgan said that he would like to do fewer appearances that have more impact.
Interviews with major celebrities and powerful figures would be “better suited to what I do well”, he said.
Earlier this month it emerged that Piers Morgan had been questioned by police under caution over alleged phone hacking at Mirror Group Newspapers.
Piers Morgan has always denied any involvement in hacking.
Piers Morgan has been questioned by police over phone hacking, it has emerged.
Police confirmed a 48-year-old journalist was interviewed under caution on December 6.
The CNN host, who has not been named by Scotland Yard, was questioned as part of an investigation into alleged hacking at Mirror Group Newspapers.
Former Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan, who has always denied any knowledge or involvement the practice, confirmed he attended the interview.
He was interviewed as part of Operation Golding, the investigation into allegations of phone interception at Mirror Group Newspapers, which is a strand of the wider Operation Weeting.
In a statement released through his spokeswoman, Piers Morgan said: “In early November I was asked to attend an interview by officers from Operation Weeting when I was next in the UK.
“This was further to a full witness statement I had already freely provided. I attended that interview as requested on 6 December 2013.”
Piers Morgan was questioned by police as part of an investigation into alleged hacking at Mirror Group Newspapers
Scotland Yard did not name Piers Morgan, but said: “A 48-year-old man who is a journalist was interviewed under caution on 6 December 2013 by officers from Operation Golding in connection with suspected conspiracy to intercept telephone voicemails.
“He was interviewed by appointment at a south London police station. He was not arrested.”
Piers Morgan’s interview by detectives means that six journalists from Mirror Group have been either arrested or interviewed under caution in relation to allegations of phone hacking.
Last March former Sunday Mirror editor Tina Weaver was arrested and questioned, as were former deputy editor Mark Thomas, People editor James Scott and People deputy editor Nick Buckley.
Tina Weaver’s partner, former Daily Mirror Editor Richard Wallace, was also interviewed under caution the day after the four arrests.
When contacted today Mirror Group Newspapers said it had “nothing to say at all” on the questioning of Piers Morgan.
Piers Morgan is now best known as a talk show host in both the UK and the US.
He was editor of the Daily Mirror from 1995 to 2004, when he was sacked after the newspaper conceded that photographs of British soldiers abusing an Iraqi were fake.
Piers Morgan joined the DailyMirror from the News of the World, where he became editor in 1994 at the age of just 28.
Speaking during Piers Morgan Tonight, which aired on Wednesday, Joe Jackson has admitted to physically disciplining son Michael and the rest of his family, claiming that he doesn’t regret “being tough”.
Joe Jackson, 84, also claimed that he doesn’t believe that there’s any such thing as beating a child but that they “will remember” being punished.
Although many of his children have spoken out about what they claim to have been an emotionally and physically abusive upbringing, Joe Jackson believes that he did right by his children.
“I’m glad I was tough, because look what I came out with. I came out with some kids that everybody loved all over the world. And they treated everybody right,” he said.
“There’s no such thing as beating a kid. You whip them or punish them over something they did and they will remember that,” Joe Jackson said when questioned by the British host.
“I had to be like that way because during those times, it was hard, and you have a lot of gangs there, you know, in the area where we were living,” he added.
Discussing his late son, Michael Jackson, who had spoken about his strict upbringing, he said: “You know, Michael, he was a nice guy. … The world [doesn’t] know anything too much about Michael as far as how he was brought up. But he was brought up. I made sure that he respected the older people.”
Speaking during Piers Morgan Tonight, Joe Jackson has admitted to physically disciplining son Michael and the rest of his family
Addressing Janet Jackson’s claims that she wasn’t allowed to call Joe “Dad” at any point during her childhood, he said: “You had all those kids running hollering around. They’re hollering, <<Dad, Dad, Dad>>, you know, and it gets to be – it sounds kind of funny to me.
“I didn’t care too much about what they called me, just as long as they [were] able to listen to me and what I had to tell them, you know, in order to make their lives successful. This was the main thing.” As the interview turned in the direction of his megastar son’s death, Joe Jackson admitted that it was a fan who alerted him to the news: “I was in Las Vegas. I got a call … from a fan. And he says, <<Mr. Jackson>>, he says <<Something is wrong>>. He said, <<I see an ambulance there at Michael’s place and the ambulance took off. And the fire department is following the ambulance. Something is wrong>>.”
“The saddest part about the whole thing was Michael tried to reach me,” said his father.
Joe Jackson seemed resentful about the fact that he felt pushed out of his son’s life towards the end: “They treated him like Howard Hughes, you know? They couldn’t – the family couldn’t get to him, you know, like they should have.”
Discussing Michael’s 2005 trial on child sex abuse charges, Joe Jackson described Michael as “a big old kid himself”, adding: “Well, you know that there was a reason why that happened. They were trying to take control over Michael’s life. Michael has paid out a lot of money, you know, what is it? Something like $22 million, you know, to keep this thing hushed down.”
More than 31,000 Americans have signed a petition sent to White House calling for British TV host Piers Morgan to be deported.
They are angry about Piers Morgan’s advocacy of gun control, in the wake of the December 14 shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.
The petition followed an interview with Larry Pratt, director of Gun Owners of America, on CNN – in which Piers Morgan called his guest “a dangerous man”.
Petitions posted on the White House website only require 25,000 signatures to get a response from the government.
The campaign was started by a journalist in Texas following Piers Morgan’s CNN programme of December 19.
The petition says the talk show host “is engaged in a hostile attack against the US Constitution by targeting the Second Amendment”, which protects an individual’s right to own guns for the purposes of self-defence.
“We demand that Mr. Morgan be deported immediately for his effort to undermine the Bill of Rights and for exploiting his position as a national network television host to stage attacks against the rights of American citizens.”
More than 31,000 Americans have signed a petition calling for Piers Morgan to be deported following an interview with Larry Pratt
Piers Morgan has responded, repeatedly, on his Twitter account.
“If I do get deported from America for wanting fewer gun murders, are there any other countries that will have me?” the 47-year-old joked after the 25,000-signature threshold was past.
He added: “Wanting America to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines isn’t anti-constitutional – it’s called <<common sense>>.”
Later Piers Morgan said, in a reference to the Constitution’s guarantee of freedom of speech: “Ironic US gun rights campaign to deport me for <<attacking Second Amendment rights>> – is my opinion not protected under 1st Amendment rights?”
In the wake of the shooting in Newton, Connecticut, President Barack Obama has vowed to push for immediate and concrete gun safety proposals.
But the pro-gun National Rifle Association (NRA), which has more than four million members, has rejected the need for tighter gun control. According to the Small Arms Survey, there were 88.8 firearms for every 100 Americans in 2007.
Piers Morgan’s interview, on his nightly chat show, came five days after gunman Adam Lanza killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary school.
Larry Pratt said tighter controls on gun sales would not put an end to similar tragedies.
“The problem occurs in those areas precisely where we have said <<no guns>>,” he said.
“Where the guns are allowed freely to be carried… we have very low murder rates.
“We only have problems in our cities and, unhappily, in our schools, where people like you have been able to get laws put on the books that keep people from being able to defend themselves.”
Piers Morgan responded: “You’re a very stupid man, aren’t you?
“You have absolutely no coherent argument. You don’t actually give a damn about the gun murder rate in America.”
He ended the combative interview by calling Larry Pratt “a dangerous man espousing dangerous nonsense” and declared, “you shame your country”.
CNN earned itself another black eye after wrongly reporting that the New York Stock Exchange was flooded with three feet of water following the worst of Hurricane Sandy.
“There has been no damage to our building or systems, and we will conduct tests with the industry today with the aim of reopening U.S. markets on Wednesday,” NYSE spokesman Ray Pellecchia said in a statement.
During a live segment on Piers Morgan’s show Monday night, the anchor spoke with the network’s meteorologist who based the sensational claim solely on a comment left in a chat room.
“You have an update on the stock exchange situation. Do we still think that three feet of water got into the exchange? There seem to be conflicting reports now,” Piers Morgan asked meteorologist Chad Myers.
“Oh, is that right? You know, I got that from the National Weather Service chat bulletin board. It was right on there; it said three feet of water on the floor. I don’t know if there’s conflicting reports or not,” Chad Myers said.
CNN wrongly reported that NYSE was flooded with 3 feet of water following the worst of Hurricane Sandy
The claim instantly went viral, spreading quickly on social networks and circulating as fact.
An NYSE official quickly tried to thwart the rumor, saying that the infrastructure of the landmark Wall Street building was “fine”.
A spokesman for the network issued a vague apology, purposefully avoiding the point of the fact that their sources were as murky as the alleged sea water that covered much of lower Manhattan.
“Chad referenced a National Weather Service report that turned out to be incorrect. We quickly made an on air correction. We regret the error,” CNN spokesman Bridget Leininger said.