Phillip Hughes state memorial in Australia has been canceled.
The Australia cricketer died at the age of 25 in a hospital, two days after being struck by a ball in a domestic game last month.
New South Wales Premier Mike Baird said the decision followed consultation with Cricket Australia and Phillip Hughes’s family.
Phillip Hughes added: “All parties felt that given the enormous outpouring of support at last Wednesday’s funeral, a state memorial service would no longer need to be held.”
About 5,000 people attended the service in Phillip Hughes’s home town of Macksville, New South Wales, with mourners including Australia’s Test team, coach Darren Lehmann and cricket legends Shane Warne and Brian Lara.
“Last Wednesday’s funeral in Macksville was a wonderful service and a fitting tribute to Phillip’s life, and it was a privilege to be a part of it. It was a community event attended by thousands of people, watched live by millions of Australians and observed at a number of grounds around the country, including the Sydney Cricket Ground,” Mike Baird said.
The former Hampshire, Middlesex and Worcestershire batsman was representing South Australia against his home state New South Wales in a domestic Sheffield Shield match when he was hit by a Sean Abbott bouncer.
Phillip Hughes had been wearing a helmet but the ball struck him at the top of the neck, causing the injury.
Australia’s Test series against India was due to begin in Brisbane on December 4, but that was rearranged due to the proximity to Phillip Hughes’s funeral.
The rescheduled first test begins on December 9 in Adelaide.
Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes has died aged 25, two days after being struck on the top of the neck by a ball during a domestic match in Sydney.
Australia team doctor Peter Brukner said the batsman passed away in hospital, never regaining consciousness.
Phillip Hughes, who also played for Hampshire, Middlesex and Worcestershire, was hit by a delivery from bowler Sean Abbott.
“It’s an understatement to say we’re completely devastated,” said Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland.
“The word tragedy gets used too often in sport, but this freak accident is a real life tragedy.”
Australia captain Michael Clarke read out a statement on behalf of the Hughes family at a news conference held at St Vincent’s Hospital, where the player, who would have been 26 on November 30, was being treated.
Speaking on behalf of parents Greg and Virginia, sister Megan and brother Jason, Michael Clarke said: “We’re devastated by the loss of our much-loved son and brother, Phillip. It’s been a very difficult few days.
“We appreciate all the support we have received from family, friends, players, Cricket Australia and the general public.
“Cricket was Phillip’s life and we as a family shared that love of the game with him. We would like to thank all the medical and nursing staff at St Vincent’s Hospital and Cricket New South Wales medical staff for their great efforts with Phillip. We love you.”
Phillip Hughes, batting for South Australia, collapsed face first on the ground after being hit by a bouncer from Abbott during a Sheffield Shield game against New South Wales.
He had been wearing a helmet but the ball struck him at the top of the neck, causing the injury.
Phillip Hughes had CPR and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation at the ground before being taken to St Vincent’s Hospital, where he had a 90-minute operation to relieve pressure on his brain.
But his death was confirmed in a statement on November 27.
Speaking at the news conference, Peter Brukner explained that Phillip Hughes had died as a result of “vertebral artery dissection”.
[youtube K7QaD3l1yQA 650]