Former Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has apologized to Oisin Tymon – the show producer he punched last year – after settling a £100,000 ($140,000) racial discrimination and injury claim.
Oisin Tymon launched the action against Jeremy Clarkson and the BBC after a “fracas” last March that left Tymon with a bloody lip.
“I would like to say sorry, once again, to Oisin Tymon for the incident and its regrettable aftermath,” Jeremy Clarkson said.
Jeremy Clarkson, 55, was dropped by the BBC following the assault.
The former presenter added: “I want to reiterate that none of this was in any way his fault.
“I would also like to make it clear that the abuse he has suffered since the incident is unwarranted and I am sorry too that he has had to go through that.
“I am pleased that this matter is now resolved. Oisin was always a creatively exciting part of Top Gear and I wish him every success with his future projects.”
Oisin Tymon’s lawyers said the case had been settled but did not give details of the settlement.
It is understood to be in excess of $140,000, an amount to which both Jeremy Clarkson and the BBC contributed.
The “fracas” took place at a North Yorkshire hotel after Jeremy Clarkson was told there was no hot food available at the end of a day’s shooting on location.
An internal BBC inquiry found Oisin Tymon was subjected to an “unprovoked physical and verbal attack” by Jeremy Clarkson, who called the producer “lazy” and “Irish” and used a four-letter expletive in the exchange.
At the time of the attack, Oisin Tymon told police he did not wish to press charges. In the days following he was the subject of sustained abuse on social media for his involvement in the dispute.
The new Top Gear co-host will be a woman, Chris Evans has confirmed.
Chris Evans, who was announced as Jeremy Clarkson’s replacement on June 16, said Top Gear would star at least one woman, chosen not “for the sake of it” but because of their passion for cars.
Former model Jodie Kidd, who presents Channel 5’s Classic Car Show, has already been tipped for the role.
Formula One presenter Suzi Perry has also been rumored for the show.
Suzi Perry appeared prominently in the audience of Chris Evans’ TV show TFI Friday last week, shortly after he agreed to host Top Gear.
However, bookmakers have made Jodie Kidd the favorite to fill one of the two slots left by James May and Richard Hammond, who quit the show in the wake of Jeremy Clarkson’s sacking.
Jodie Kidd currently attracts odds of 1/3, with former motorcycle racer turned broadcaster Guy Martin at 5/2, and Suzi Perry, Philip Glenister and Demot O’Leary all at 4/1.
In an interview with BBC Radio 5 Live’s Nicky Campbell, Chris Evans said he wanted his co-stars to be “extremely knowledgeable about cars… people who have great energy, good timing… who are keen to do things differently”.
Asked if one of the presenters would be female, Chris Evans replied: “I can confirm that definitely, 100 per cent.”
The BBC has not given a timescale for announcing a replacement, but filming on Top Gear new series is expected to begin in a few weeks.
According to new reports, BBC has already chosen a new team of presenters for its motoring show Top Gear after sacking Jeremy Clarkson on March 25.
The new team would be made up of former model Jodie Kidd, actor Philip Glenister and TV star Guy Martin.
According to telegraph.co.uk, BBC has already found a “dream team” for the new version of the show Top Gear after ending its collaboration with former show’s presenters Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond.
Former model Jodie Kidd would be the first woman to present Top Gear.
Jodie Kidd currently presents Channel 5’s The Classic Car Show.