Fox News has responded to Donald Trump after his decision to boycott the final Republican debate on January 28.
The network said in a statement that Donald Trump’s decision is “unprecedented” and accused him of “terrorizing” debate host Megyn Kelly.
Donald Trump clashed with Megyn Kelly at a Fox News debate in 2015 and had demanded she be removed from today’s panel.
The billionaire’s decision to pull out has been mocked by his Republican rivals.
The debate is the final one before the first real test of the election campaign, the Iowa caucus on February 1 when voters in the state pick their presidential nominee.
“Capitulating to politicians’ ultimatums about a debate moderator violates all journalistic standards, as do threats,” the Fox News network said in a statement.
“We’re not sure how Iowans are going to feel about him walking away from them at the last minute, but it should be clear to the American public by now that this is rooted in one thing – Megyn Kelly.”
It added: “We can’t give in to terrorizations toward any of our employees.”
Megyn Kelly accused Donald Trump of misogyny in the first debate in August 2015 and he responded the next day by accusing her of having blood “coming out of everywhere”. He denied he was referring to menstruation.
Donald Trump, who leads the Republican field, quit the debate on January 28 after Fox put out a sarcastic statement that questioned his ability to deal with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Fox responded by accusing Donald Trump of “viciously attacking” Megyn Kelly, threatening her and spending four days trying to get her removed.
Republican presidential candidate Senator Ted Cruz mocked Donald Trump for his announcement.
Ted Cruz challenged Donald Trump to a one-on-one debate and taunted him on Twitter using the hashtag #DuckingDonald.
Donald Trump has announced he will boycott the final Republican presidential debate before the Iowa caucuses.
The Republican presidential hopeful accused Fox News debate moderator Megyn Kelly, whom he has clashed with in the past, of being a “lightweight”.
The unexpected move prompted his closest rival, Senator Ted Cruz, to challenge him to a one-on-one debate.
Donald Trump’s campaign manager announced the decision on January 26, with just 48 hours to go before the debate.
Corey Lewandowski said immediately after the press conference: “He will not be participating in the Fox News debate Thursday.”
The announcement followed a press conference in which Donald Trump lashed out at Megyn Kelly, claiming she had been “toying” with him.
Donald Trump said he intended to hold a separate Iowa event at the same time as the debate to raise money for wounded veterans. Iowa hosts the nation’s opening presidential primary contest on February 1.
“With me, they’re dealing with somebody that’s a little bit different,” he said.
“They can’t toy with me like they toy with everybody else. Let them have their debate and let’s see how they do with the ratings.”
On Tuesday night’s airing of her Fox News show, The Kelly File, Megyn Kelly said the debate would “go on with or without Mr. Trump”.
A Fox News spokesperson said Donald Trump was still welcome to participate in the debate but would not be allowed to “dictate the moderators or the questions”.
The Republican National Committee (RNC) said the decision was up to Donald Trump.
“Obviously we would love all of the candidates to participate, but each campaign ultimately makes their own decision what’s in their best interest,” said RNC chief strategist Sean Spicer.
Donald Trump had added an element of unpredictability to the Republican contest, and helped generate big ratings in the previous six Republican presidential debates.
His decision leaves seven other candidates in the debate: Texas Senator Ted Cruz, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, Ohio Governor John Kasich and Kentucky Senator Rand Paul.
Donald Trump, who is in a tight race with Ted Cruz, has garnered media attention with provocative actions and statements, including a call for a temporary ban on all Muslims entering the United States.
Donald Trump has renewed his feud with the Fox News host Megyn Kelly.
Republican presidential frontrunner said Megyn Kelly, who returned to her show on August 24 after a break, “must have had a terrible vacation” because “she’s really off her game”.
Fox News chief Roger Ailes has demanded an apology, describing Donald Trump’s verbal attack as “disturbing”.
It comes two weeks after controversy over Donald Trump’s remarks about Megyn Kelly following the first Republican debate.
In a CNN interview, Donald Trump said the Fox presenter “had blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever” to describe the way she questioned him during the debate over comments he had made about women.
Donald Trump was subsequently dropped as a speaker at a major conservative forum, and his comment was denounced by rival Republican candidates.
But it did not stop him from continuing his verbal attack of Megyn Kelly during her show on August 24, tweeting: “Kelly File was much better without Megyn Kelly. Her replacement while she was out on vacation was much better!”
Fox News chairman Roger Ailes, who had cleared the air with Donald Trump after the debate, reacted strongly to the “surprise and unprovoked attack” on his news host. In a statement read aloud on the channel, he said it was “as unacceptable as it is disturbing”.
Megyn Kelly “represents the very best of American journalism and all of us at Fox News Channel reject the crude and irresponsible attempts to suggest otherwise,” he added, demanding an apology.
Some of Megyn Kelly’s colleagues also came to her defense, including Bret Baier, her co-host for the debate, who tweeted “this needs to stop”.
Donald Trump seemed unfazed by the criticism, saying he disagreed with Roger Ailes’ statement and that he did not consider Megyn Kelly “a quality journalist”.
Donald Trump has taken the lead in the polls ahead of the 16 other Republican candidates, despite a string of controversial remarks since launching his campaign.
Donald Trump has been disinvited from speaking at an activist conference hosted by conservative commentator Erick Erickson this weekend.
Erick Erickson cited disparaging remarks Donald Trump made hours earlier on CNN about Fox News Channel anchor Megyn Kelly.
In an interview with The Washington Post on August 7, Erick Erickson said Donald Trump had been scheduled to speak at his RedState gathering on August 8 at the College Football Hall of Fame.
However, Erick Erickson later told Corey Lewandowski, Donald Trump’s campaign manager, about an hour before midnight that the GOP presidential candidate was no longer welcome.
Donald Trump’s campaign said in a statement that Erick Erickson’s decision was “another example of weakness through being politically correct. For all the people who were looking forward to Mr. Trump coming, we will miss you. Blame Erick Erickson, your weak and pathetic leader. We’ll now be doing another campaign stop at another location.”
His CNN interview Friday evening instantly drew controversy and criticism after he said Megyn Kelly, one of the moderators of Thursday’s Republican presidential debate in Cleveland, “had blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever”.
Erick Erickson, a Fox News regular and face of the popular RedState blog, has long been a foe congressional GOP leaders and an ally of conservative grass-roots organizers. He has also drawn criticism for saying impolitic things, once calling retired Supreme Court Justice David Souter an “[expletive] child molester” and First Lady Michelle Obama a “Marxist harpy”. He has since apologized for both comments.
Fox News Channel hosts and commentators came to the defense of Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson on air Wednesday.
A&E Networks placed Phil Robertson, 67, on indefinite hiatus after he made anti-gay remarks in an interview with GQ magazine, causing an uproar and sparking criticism from gay advocacy groups GLAAD and the Human Rights Campaign.
On Hannity, host Sean Hannity said it was a “slippery slope” to begin firing people over things they said, adding he never advocated for the firings of liberals — including AlecBaldwinand Martin Bashir – who got in trouble for controversial comments.
Megyn Kelly said on The Kelly File that Phil Robertson’s indefinite hiatus preemptively stopped any conversation that might have arisen from his comments.
“He is a Christian man – I grant you he did not say in the kindest way – but why can’t there be a debate about it? Why can’t there be a discussion … instead of <<you are fired>>.”
Fox News Channel hosts and commentators came to the defense of Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson on air
Later, Megyn Kelly said the clash between fundamentalist Christians and the gay and lesbian community has yet to reach resolution, implying this could be because the discussion never takes place.
“Fundamentalist Christians don’t believe in homos**uality and they’ve been so critical of it. And the gay and lesbian community has said <<that’s intolerance>> and then they [Christians] say <<well you’re being intolerant of our beliefs>>.” she said.
“We’ve seen this clash over and over. [It’s] yet to be resolved.”
But several of Megyn Kelly’s panelists sided with A&E and its decision.
Democratic pollster Bernard Whitman told Megyn Kelly that Phil Robertson’s comment’s were “disgusting” and said it “flies in the face of what it means to be Christian.” He applauded A&E for its response.
Conservative commentator Monica Crowley said she was “not a fan of the word police,” but said A&E was within its rights to take action.
“You should be able to say what you want short of inciting violence,” Monica Crowley said.
“A&E, though, has certain standards in practices. As an employee of A&E, A&E then has a right to say <<what he said doesn’t suit us>>.”
Earlier in the day, former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin tweeted her own defense of Phil Robertson.
Phil Robertson will likely appear in Duck Dynasty Season 4, which premieres on January 15, as production is largely wrapped.
Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly entered into a debate on working mothers this past Friday.
An argument broke out when Megyn Kelly hosted RedState.com editor Erick Erickson, and fellow Fox host Lou Dobbs, in response to a discussion the two men had on Dobbs’ show.
The initial discussion centered on a recent Pew study finding that 40% of working mothers were now the breadwinners in their family.
Erick Erickson found the study troubling, advocating for women to return to their original role in the family.
“When you look at biology, look at the natural world, the roles of a male and a female in society, and other animals, the male typically is the dominant role,” Erick Erickson said Lou Dobbs Tonight.
“The female, it’s not antithesis, or it’s not competing, it’s a complementary role. We as people in a smart society have lost the ability to have complementary relationships in nuclear families, and it’s tearing us apart.”
Megyn Kelly, a working mother herself, had quite the bone to pick with that view during the heated segment.
“What makes you dominant, and me submissive, and who died and made you scientist-in-chief?” Megyn Kelly asked Erick Erickson.
An argument broke out when Megyn Kelly hosted RedState.com editor Erick Erickson, and fellow Fox host Lou Dobbs, in response to a discussion the two men had on Dobbs’ show
Erick Erickson subsequently brings up the fact that three quarters of those surveyed in the poll agreed with his view.
“Just because you have people who agree with you doesn’t mean it’s not offensive,” Megyn Kelly said.
Erick Erickson wrote a follow-up piece in response to his appearance on Lou Dobbs’ show, which Megyn Kelly criticized more. Though she said she doesn’t describe herself as a feminist, Megyn Kelly said she was offended by the piece nonetheless.
“I didn’t like what you wrote one bit,” she said.
Things got especially heated when the conversation turned to Lou Dobbs, who blamed the high divorce rate on working mothers.
“Why are you attributing that to women in the workforce?” Megyn Kelly asked.
“Excuse me, let me just finish what I’m saying if I may, oh dominant one,” Lou Dobbs retorted to a clearly offended Megyn Kelly.
She turned back to Erick Erickson’s blog post where she quoted him writing: “The truth – kids most likely will do best in households where they have a mom at home nurturing them while dad is out bringing home the bacon.”
Megyn Kelly goes on to name four different studies that prove the exact opposite – that children of working mothers turn out just the same as children with stay-at-home mothers.
“I mean, why are we supposed to take your word for it? Erick Erickson’s science instead of all of these experts?”