Los Angeles prosecutors are reviewing a historical assault accusation against Kevin Spacey, officials confirmed on April 11.
Police have filed evidence about an allegation involving an incident with a man in West Hollywood in 1992.
More than 30 men have come forward with allegations of misconduct against Kevin Spacey in recent months.
The Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department said it began investigating the case in December, and presented it to the Los Angeles District Attorney office for review earlier this month.
No details of the allegation have been released.
It is unclear if California’s statute of limitations on prosecuting criminal assault, which is normally ten years, would apply.
Image source Flickr
Kevin Spacey, 58, first became embroiled in controversy last November when actor Anthony Rapp accused him of assault in 1986 when he was 14 and Spacey was 26.
The Oscar-winning actor claimed to have no memory of the events, but publicly apologized. He has since issued an “absolute” denial of the other allegations that later emerged.
Meanwhile, London police are investigating three criminal cases against Kevin Spacey.
London’s Old Vic Theater, where Kevin Spacey was artistic director, has said it received 20 complaints of inappropriate behavior against him.
The controversy has led to Kevin Spacey being axed from a number of roles, including from Netflix series
House of Cards and the 2017 movie All the Money in the World, which was re-shot without him.
VIDEO Morrissey has made surprising remarks in an interview in which he defended Kevin Spacey over allegations of abuse.
The former Smiths singer said Kevin Spacey had been “attacked unnecessarily”, adding it was “ridiculous” that the actor was being erased from an upcoming movie.
Morrissey, 58, also argued that definitions of harassment and assault have become too broad.
Speaking to the German newspaper
Der Spiegel, he began by stating “rape is disgusting [and] every physical attack is repugnant”.
Last month, Anthony Rapp accused Kevin Spacey of harassing him when he was 14.
Anthony Rapp told
Buzzfeed that Kevin Spacey, then aged 26, laid on top of him at a party at his apartment in 1986 and alleged the star “was trying to seduce” him.
Kevin Spacey said he was “beyond horrified” by the claim, adding that he did not remember the alleged incident.
Image source Wikimedia
Morrissey said Anthony Rapp’s claims “did not sound very credible to me”.
“I don’t know about you, but I was never in situations like this in my youth,” he told the publication.
“Never. I was always aware of what could happen. When you are in somebody’s bedroom, you have to be aware of where that can lead to.”
Morrissey also cast doubt on the dozens of women who have accused Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein of assault.
“People know exactly what’s going on,” the singer reportedly said when asked about Harvey Weinstein inviting actresses to his hotel room, “and they play along”.
“Afterwards, they feel embarrassed or disliked. And then they turn it around and say: <<I was attacked, I was surprised>>.
“But if everything went well, and if it had given them a great career, they would not talk about it.”
“I hate rape… But in many cases, one looks at the circumstances and thinks that the person who is considered a victim is merely disappointed.”
More than fifty women, many of them some of the biggest names in Hollywood, have accused Harvey Weinstein of assault, harassment, abuse and rape, which allegedly took place over four decades.
Morrissey added that many famous musicians had slept with fans who were under the age of consent.
“Throughout the history of music and rock ‘n’ roll there have been musicians who slept with their groupies,” the singer said, while clarifying that he was not one of them.
“If you go through history, almost everyone is guilty of sleeping with minors. Why not throw everyone in jail right away?”
House of Cards production will be suspended following assault allegations against Kevin Spacey.
Kevin Spacey, who stars in the political drama, has been accused of making inappropriate advances to14-year-old actor Anthony Rapp.
The Netflix show had already said it would end after the 6th season, but now say they will permanently “suspend production”.
Meanwhile, London’s Old Vic theater, where Kevin Spacey worked for 11 years say they are “deeply dismayed” by the allegations.
The 200-year-old theater has set up a confidential complaints process for anyone connected to the Old Vic to come forward.
The Old Vic said in a statement:
“We aim to foster a safe and supportive environment without prejudice, harassment or bullying of any sort, at any level.”
The decision to end House of Cards was announced in a joint statement by Netflix and Media Rights Capital (MRC), a production company that makes the series.
The statement said:
“MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on House of Cards season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew.”
Image source Wikimedia
The announcement comes after
Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp accused Kevin Spacey of inappropriately touching him when he was 14 years old.
Kevin Spacey, who is also executive director of
House of Cards, said he owed Anthony Rapp, now 46, a “sincere apology” for what he said would have been “deeply inappropriate drunken behavior”.
The Oscar-winning actor also announced that he was now living “as a gay man”, but he has been widely criticized for choosing this moment to come out.
On October 30, producers said
House of Cards would end after its 6th season, which they recently began filming at a studio near Baltimore.
A Netflix representative said the decision to end the series in 2018 had been made months ago.
However, according to
Variety magazine, producers are considering a spin-off series.
House of Cards first debuted in 2013 and gathered nine Emmy nominations in the first season, becoming the first online streaming series to win such mainstream accolades.