Mexican businessman Manuel Trillo, who is accused of financing the jailbreak of Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman drug lord, has been sent to prison pending trial.
Prosecutors think Manuel Trillo helped Shorty Guzman break out of the Altiplano jail in July.
Now Manuel Trillo has been sent to that very same prison.
A manhunt is under way to catch El Chapo Guzman, who leads the Sinaloa drug cartel, since he escaped through a one mile-long tunnel on July 11.
According to investigators, Manuel Trillo is the financial operator of the Sinaloa cartel and bankrolled El Chapo Guzman’s escape.
He is also accused of using illicit funds to purchase properties from 2012 to 2015 under false names.
More than 30 people have been arrested in connection with Joaquin Guzman’s escape, including the prison governor and several guards.
El Chapo Guzman’s arrest in February 2014 was seen as a coup for Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto.
The cartel leader had been on the run for 13 years since escaping from another maximum security jail in 2001, reportedly hidden inside a laundry cart.
However, El Chapo Guzman’s spectacular break-out from the Altiplano prison caused huge embarrassment.
Video footage showed how guards failed to detect his escape until more than 20 minutes had passed.
Questions have also been raised how the prison authorities could have failed to notice the construction of the tunnel leading directly into El Chapo Guzman’s cell.
On CCTV footage leaked to the media, the sound of drilling can be heard reverberating through his cell.
Investigators say El Chapo Guzman’s associates must have been planning the jailbreak since shortly after his arrest.
Not only would the construction of the tunnel have taken time, but his associates also purchased a plot of land outside the jail and built a house to disguise the tunnel’s exit.
Attempts to recapture El Chapo Guzman have so far failed although authorities said he was injured when he narrowly escaped from a police operation last month. He is believed to be hiding in his home state of Sinaloa, in north-west Mexico.
Convicted murderers David Sweat and Richard Matt, who are on the run for five days after breaking out of prison in New York, may now have fled to Vermont, investigators believe.
David Sweat, 34, and Richard Matt, 48, cut their way out of prison using power tools.
Police believe the men thought Vermont would be a “cooler” destination with fewer officers on their tail, Governor Peter Shumlin said.
Vermont was working to get the “dangerous men” locked up, officials said.
Addressing some of the 450 officers involved in the search New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said: “Follow every lead you have.
“Follow them as if it’s the lead that’s going to break the case. I am confident we are going to find them, the only question is when.”
The manhunt in northern New York and surrounding areas has now extended to campsites and boat slips in neighboring Vermont.
Governors Peter Shumlin and Andrew Cuomo held a joint press conference outside the maximum security prison from where the men escaped, Clinton Correctional Facility.
Referring to the unspecified information about the men’s whereabouts, Peter Shumlin said: “New York was going to be hot. Vermont would be cooler, in terms of law enforcement.”
Police confirmed on June 10 that they had interviewed “one woman in particular” who may have befriended the inmates and had a role in David Sweat and Richard Matt’s escape, but would not go into detail.
That woman “may had had some role in assisting them”, said New York State police Superintendent Joseph D’Amico.
An unnamed source told CNN earlier that woman is Joyce Mitchell, who worked at the prison tailor shop.
Joyce Mitchell had planned to pick up Richard Matt and David Sweat after they escaped but changed her mind at the last minute.
She has not been arrested or charged, and her son has said his mother would not have helped the prisoners escape.
Richard Matt was given a jail term of 25 years to life for beating a man to death in 1997.
David Sweat was serving a life sentence without parole for the murder of Broome County Sheriff’s Deputy, Kevin Tarsia.
Mohamed Morsi’s trial over his escape from prison in 2011 has begun in Cairo, state media say.
The Egypt’s ousted Islamist president was taken to the court in Cairo by helicopter from a prison in Alexandria, Mena news agency reports.
Mohamed Morsi, Egypt’s first freely-elected president, was deposed by the military in July 2013 after mass protests against his rule.
He is now facing four separate criminal trials on various charges.
Also on Tuesday, the interior ministry said that a ministry official, named in local media as General Mohammed Saeed, was shot dead on his way to work.
The killing comes amid a string of militant attacks on security services in recent days, and hours after Egypt’s top military body gave its backing for army chief Field Marshal Abdel Fattah al-Sisi to run for president.
Mohamed Morsi’s trial over his escape from prison in 2011 has begun in Cairo
Supporters of Field Marshal Abdel Fattah al-Sisi have gathered outside the building, but no pro-Morsi supporters have appeared.
Mohamed Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood has been declared a terrorist organization and authorities have punished any public showing of support for it.
Another 130 people are also facing charges in the prison break trial, but many of the defendants are currently on the run.
Mohamed Morsi stands accused of organizing a mass breakout from the Wadi al-Natrun prison during the 2011 uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak, as well as the murder of prison officers.
He is appearing in a sound-proofed glass box during the trial and will only be permitted to speak after raising his hand.
State television reported that the defendants were shouting inside the glass box and were making the four-finger “Rabaa” protest sign, but could not be heard.
When he first appeared in court in November in a separate trial, Mohamed Morsi chanted slogans against the current government and the court. He also refused to recognize the court’s legitimacy or put on the required prison uniform.