A 40-year-old Nigerian behind thousands of online scams around the world has been detained in Port Harcourt, Interpol announces.
The man, known as “Mike”, is alleged to head a network of 40 individuals behind global scams worth more than $60 million.
Mike’s operations involve using targeted malware to take over systems, use compromised emails and romance scams.
Nigeria’s anti-fraud agency was also involved in the arrest.
Interpol said in a statement: “In one case, a target was conned into paying out $15.4 million.”
The suspect also allegedly ran a money laundering network in China, Europe and the US.
“The network compromised email accounts of small to medium businesses around the world including in Australia, Canada, India, Malaysia, Romania, South Africa, Thailand and the United States,” Interpol statement added.
“Mike” and an accomplice, who was also arrested in Port Harcourt, face charges including hacking, conspiracy and obtaining money under false pretences.
According to Interpol statement, they are currently out on bail as investigations continue.
Interpol has suspended its 10-year partnership with FIFA over allegations of corruption against the soccer’s governing body.
The international police agency had a €20 million anti-match-fixing program with the soccer’s governing body.
Interpol is now freezing the money donated by FIFA in 2011 for the program.
The “Integrity in Sport” agreement was intended to combat match-fixing and illegal gambling.
FIFA is under investigation by authorities in the US and Switzerland for alleged bribery and corruption.
Jurgen Stock, the head of Interpol, said in a statement: “In light of the current context surrounding FIFA, while Interpol is still committed to developing our Integrity in Sport program, I have decided to suspend the agreement.
“All external partners, whether public or private, must share the fundamental values and principles of the organization, as well as those of the wider law enforcement community.”
The agreement between Interpol and FIFA stated that the soccer body must be “compatible with the principles, aims and activities of Interpol”.
Last month, 14 current and former FIFA officials and sports marketing executives were charged over allegations of corruption and bribery following a years-long US-led investigation into the organization.
The scandal has raised questions over the legitimacy of the bidding processes for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, which were awarded to Russia and Qatar respectively.
Former Ukraine’s President Viktor Yanukovych has been placed on Interpol’s wanted list, almost one year after he fled to neighboring Russia.
Viktor Yanukovych is accused by Ukrainian officials of embezzling millions of dollars in public funds.
He was ousted after clashes between police and protesters in Kiev left dozens dead, mainly demonstrators.
Afterwards, Russia moved to annexe Crimea from Ukraine and conflict broke out in parts of eastern Ukraine.
Russia has denied fomenting the violence in the eastern regions of Donetsk and Luhansk, where a frequently violated ceasefire is in place. Ukrainian military officials said on January 12 that there had been an increase in rebel attacks on their positions.
Germany’s foreign minister is due to meet colleagues from Russia, Ukraine and France in an attempt to reach an agreement on a potential summit of leaders in Kazakhstan this week.
Germany has stressed that a summit will only take place if it leads to “concrete progress”.
A red notice for Viktor Yanukovych appeared on Interpol’s website on January 12. Under a red notice, Interpol’s role is described as assisting a national police force in “identifying and locating these persons with a view to their arrest and extradition or similar lawful action”.
Viktor Yanukovych, 64, was last seen in a photograph with film director Oliver Stone, which was said to have been taken in Moscow in December.
An unconfirmed report by Interfax news agency said Russia was likely to decline a request for Viktor Yanukovych’s extradition.
The decision to issue the notice was taken by a special Interpol commission, according to Ukrainian Interior Minister Arsen Avakov, after months of reasoning from the authorities in Kiev.
Similar red notices were also issued for ex-PM Mykola Azarov and Iurii Kolobov, a former finance minister, as well as Georgii Dzekon, ex-chairman of Ukrtelecom.
Arsen Avakov said a warrant had been issued for Viktor Yanukovych’s son Olexander, although that could not be confirmed on the Interpol website.
Ukraine’s new government accuses Viktor Yanukovych of ordering snipers to fire on protesters, although he rejects the accusations against him.
[youtube MFS9HQFIwVI 650]