Raj Nair, the head of Ford’s US operations, has resigned following an internal investigation into inappropriate behavior.
Ford said its inquiry had concluded that some of Raj Nair’s conduct had been “inconsistent with the company’s code of conduct”.
The company did not specify why the investigation was started, nor what it uncovered.
Raj Nair said in a statement that he sincerely regrets certain behavior.
In a statement, Ford President and CEO Jim Hackett said: “We made this decision after a thorough review and careful consideration. Ford is deeply committed to providing and nurturing a safe and respectful culture and we expect our leaders to fully uphold these values.”
Raj Nair had been President of Ford North America since July 1. He was previously head of global product development and chief technical officer.
He apologized, without elaborating on the reasons for his going.
He said: “I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviors consistent with the principles that the company and I have always espoused.”
Raj Nair added: “I continue to have the utmost faith in the people of Ford Motor Company and wish them continued success in the future.”
A company spokesman said Ford would not be commenting on the nature of Raj Nair’s departure.
In August, Ford agreed a multi-million-dollar settlement after an investigation into harassment at two factories in Chicago.
The inquiry was conducted by the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which said female and African-American employees had been subjected to harassment and found the Ford retaliated against employees who complained about the harassment or discrimination.
Following the inquiry, Jim Hackett wrote in a letter to employees: “There is absolutely no room for harassment at Ford Motor Company…. We don’t want you here, and we will move you out for engaging in any behavior like this.”