Star Wars actor Oscar Isaac has read a letter by Alec Guinness letter at a performance in London.
In the letter, Alec Guinness branded co-star Harrison Ford a “languid young man”.
Writing during filming of the 1977 movie Star Wars: A New Hope, actor Alec Guinness, who played Obi Wan Kenobi, said: “Can’t say I’m enjoying the film.”
The letter from the late actor talks about the movie’s “rubbish dialogue”.
Oscar Isaac, who plays Poe Dameron in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, was at Letters Live at Freemasons’ Hall in London.
Alec Guinness wrote to his friend Anne Kauffman: “New rubbish dialogue reaches me every other day on wadges of pink paper, and none of it makes my character clear or even bearable.”
The actor said he was working with “Mark Hamill and Tennyson (that can’t be right) Ford. Ellison? No! Well a rangy, languid man who is probably intelligent and amusing”.
Letters Live sees actors and performers reading out literary correspondence to a live audience.
Actors Benedict Cumberbatch and Louise Brearley also took part, along with theater and opera director Sophie Hunter.
Benedict Cumberbatch read out a letter by American author Mark Twain to the American poet Walt Whitman, which paid tribute to all the changes he had witnessed in the world over the course of his lifetime.
Louise Brearley and Benedict Cumberbatch then performed letters between Bessie Moore and Chris Barker, two sweethearts separated by World War Two.
Sophie Hunter read out a letter from deaf and blind woman Helen Keller to the New York Symphony Orchestra, thanking them for the music which she had experienced through the radio by feeling the vibrations.
Foodles Production, the company behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is being prosecuted over the incident in which Harrison Ford broke his leg.
Harrison Ford was struck by a hydraulic metal door on the Pinewood set of the Millennium Falcon in June 2014.
The Health And Safety Executive (HSE) has brought four criminal charges against Foodles Production Ltd – a UK subsidiary of Disney.
Foodles Production said it was “disappointed” by the HSE’s decision.
Following the incident, Ford was airlifted to hospital for surgery.
Following an investigation, the HSE said it believed there was sufficient evidence about the incident which left Harrison Ford with serious injuries, to bring four charges relating to alleged health and safety breaches.
A spokesperson added: “By law, employers must take reasonable steps to protect workers – this is as true on a film set as a factory floor.”
Foodles Production is the company responsible for producing Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens, and as such is culpable under health and safety law.
Representatives of the production company will appear at High Wycombe Magistrates Court on May 12.
A spokesman for Foodles Production said: “Cast and crew safety is always a top priority. We provided full co-operation during HSE’s investigation into the on-set accident that occurred in June 2014 and are disappointed in HSE’s decision.”
Star Wars: The Force Awakens was filmed at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, the UK.
Production of Star Wars: Episode VIII has already got under way at Pinewood, and is due for release in December 2017.
Disney has announced a Star Wars spin-off movie that will tell the back story of space smuggler Han Solo.
The new movie is to be directed by Christopher Miller and Phil Lord, the men behind the hugely successful Lego movie.
The charismatic criminal turned Rebellion hero returns in Star Wars‘ next installment: The Force Awakens this Christmas.
Harrison Ford last played Han Solo in 1983’s Return of the Jedi.
No details or casting have been yet been announced but the Hollywood Reporter said the script would be written by father and son team Lawrence and Jon Kasdan.
The senior Kasdan co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, the latter with director JJ Abrams.
There was a huge excitement in the fan community earlier this year when an extended trailer for the new film featured a brief appearance of Han Solo and his Millennium Falcon co-pilot Chewbacca, appearing to be on the deck of his famous spaceship, uttering the words, “Chewie, we’re home…”
The untitled Han Solo project is scheduled to be released on May 25, 2018.
The movie follows the first stand-alone Star Wars anthology film Rogue One, which is due in 2016.
A new trailer for Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens gives fans a first glimpse of Han Solo and Chewbacca.
Harrison Ford, who plays space smuggler Han Solo, last appeared in a Star Wars movie more than 30 years ago when Return of the Jedi was released in 1983.
The footage from Episode VII was included in a trailer shown at an official fan convention in California.
The Force Awakens is set for release on December 18 and is the first in a new series of the sci-fi franchise.
The event was also streamed live on the internet.
Harrison Ford, 72, is still recovering after crashing his plane onto a golf course and was unable to attend the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim.
Original trilogy actors Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, who also return after three decades as Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia in The Force Awakens, were on stage to answer fans’ questions.
Mark Hamill paid tribute to the franchise’s supporters.
“Over the years, all my entire life, I’ve felt such love from you,” he told the thousands in the audience.
“You’re more than just fans. You’re family.”
Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher were joined by other cast members, including Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.
The relatively unknown Daisy Ridley, speaking for the first time about her role in Star Wars as a scavenger called Rey, described her as “very solitary until she meets another character and an adventure begins”.
She added: “[I] cannot wait to show you guys what we’ve done.”
John Boyega said he was excited but also nervous.
“I was scared to tell my parents that I’d got the part of Finn”, he admitted.
He added he had only told them once the official casting announcement had been made.
Director JJ Abrams was also on the special panel which launched the four-day Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim.
Harrison Ford has been injured after his WW2 small plane crashed in California.
Harrison Ford, 72, reported engine failure and crash-landed his vintage plane on a Venice golf course.
The actor was breathing and alert when medics arrived and took him to hospital in a “fair to moderate” condition, a fire department spokesman said.
Harrison Ford’s son Ben, a chef in Los Angeles, later tweeted from the hospital: “Dad is OK. Battered but OK!”
The actor’s publicist said: “The injuries sustained are not life threatening, and he is expected to make a full recovery.”
The nature of Harrison Ford’s injuries have not been disclosed but website TMZ, which first reported the story, said he suffered “multiple gashes to his head”.
Shortly after take-off from Santa Monica Airport, he said he was having engine failure with his 1942 Ryan Aeronautical ST3KR and was making an “immediate return”.
Harrison Ford was unable to reach the runway and landed on the golf course, where onlookers pulled him from the plane fearing it could explode.
Officials said the plane had been flying at about 3,000 feet and hit a tree on the way down.
“There was no explosion or anything. It just sounded like a car hitting the ground or a tree or something. Like that one little bang, and that was it,” Jeff Kuprycz, who was playing golf told the Associated Press.
“He ended up crashing around the eighth hole.”
Christian Fry of the Santa Monica Airport Association said it was “an absolutely beautifully executed emergency landing by an unbelievably well-trained pilot”.
Film producer Ryan Kavanaugh witnessed the accident from his office near the airport where Harrison Ford had taken off.
He told The Hollywood Reporter: “He literally had five seconds, and 99 per cent of pilots would have turned around to go back to the runway and would have crashed – it would have stalled, gone nose first and crashed.”
“Harrison did what the best pilots in the world would do,” he continued.
“He made the correct turn that the plane was designed for with an engine out.”
After crash-landing, Harrison Ford was initially treated by two doctors who happened to be at the golf course.
Fire Department spokesman Patrick Butler said the LAFD received a 911 emergency call at 14:20 local time and attended to a “medium-to-high impact” plane crash at the Penmar Golf Course.
There have been calls from local people to close Santa Monica airport, which is situated in a residential district, because of concerns about safety and noise.
Harrison Ford is returning to his iconic role of police officer Rick Deckard in the forthcoming Blade Runner sequel, it has been confirmed.
Denis Villeneuve, who directed Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal in kidnap drama Prisoners, is in talks to direct.
The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 film, which was based on Philip K. Dick novel Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?.
Blade Runner 2 is scheduled to start shooting in the summer of 2016.
The cult 1982 film, directed by Ridley Scott, saw Rick Deckard hunting down genetically engineered lifelike robots, known as replicants, in a futuristic Los Angeles, set in 2019.
The latest installment – reportedly based on an idea from Ridley Scott, who will also produce the new film – has been written by Hampton Fancher, who co-wrote the original screenplay.
“We are honored that Harrison is joining us on this journey,” said producers Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson in a joint statement.
“Hampton and Michael, with Sir Ridley Scott, have crafted a uniquely potent and faithful sequel to one of the most universally celebrated films of all time, and we couldn’t be more thrilled with this amazing, creative team.”
It marks the third time Harrison Ford, 72, has returned to an iconic role. In 2008, he returned to the role of Indiana Jones nearly 20 years after the franchise came to a halt in 1989.
Later this year, Harrison Ford will reprise the role of Han Solo in the latest addition to the Star Wars franchise, Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill will feature in Star Wars: Episode VII, the latest film in the franchise.
Other actors confirmed are Andy Serkis and Max von Sydow, alongside relative newcomers John Boyega and Daisy Ridley.
Star Wars: Episode VII will start shooting at Pinewood Studios, near London, in May.
Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker will also return as C-3PO, Chewbacca and R2-D2 respectively.
Director JJ Abrams said: “We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again.
“We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud.”
A picture of the new cast, with R2-D2 in a wooden crate, was posted on the official Star Wars site on Tuesday.
Star Wars Episode VII cast revealed
The new recruits include:
Max von Sydow
Adam Driver – he has been widely reported to be playing Star Wars‘ main antagonist.
Open auditions for two roles in the new films were held in the UK and Ireland last November.
They were for a “street smart and strong” orphaned girl in her late teens and a “smart capable” man in his late teens or early 20s.
It has not been confirmed whether the new cast came from the auditions, but none of them are complete unknowns and all have previous experience on screen.
No announcement has been made about the specific parts each of the cast members will play.
Episode VII will be the fifth Star Wars movie to be shot in the UK.
Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and mark Hamill became household names thanks to their roles in the originals – with Ford as smuggler and rogue Han Solo, Fisher as Princess Leia and Hamill as farmhand-turned-Jedi Luke Skywalker.
Star Wars: Episode VII is due in cinemas on December 18, 2015.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.