The search for missing 5-year-old April Jones in UK is expected to end in a few weeks, according to Dyfed-Powys Police.
Officers from around the UK have been searching for April Jones since she disappeared from near her home in Machynlleth, Powys, in October 2012.
Searches of specific areas of land will continue but they are expected to be completed at the end of next month.
Mark Bridger, 47, denies abducting and murdering April Jones as well as intending to pervert the course of justice.
He is due to stand trial at Mold Crown Court on April 29.
Officers from around the UK have been searching for April Jones since she disappeared from near her home in Machynlleth, Powys, in October 2012
April Jones’ disappearance sparked one of the largest police searches in UK history.
Since October 2012, specialist officers along with other forces from across the UK had been searching the area in and around Machynlleth for April Jones.
It said there have been 17 search teams hunting for the school girl on a weekly basis.
In a statement Dyfed-Powys Police said: “It has been a massive search operation where an area of 60 kilometres square [23 square miles] has been searched including and have over 300 specific search areas.
“The terrain is extremely challenging. The mountains, gorges, streams and waterfalls in the area mean extra care has to be taken and specialist safety equipment has to be worn.
“The force made a commitment to search until all viable lines of enquiry were complete.”
Officers confirmed the search would stop over Easter but that during the rest of April they would search “specific areas of land with a view to all search areas identified being completed by the end of April”.
Throughout the search a range of resources had been used from police marine units, experts in searching confined spaces and mines, fire and rescue urban search and rescue teams, the coastguard and mountain rescue teams, and as specialist dogs teams from around the UK.
Authorities named David Pouliot, a Vietnam veteran who worked for the Massachusetts Department of Youth Services, as a “person of interest” in the disappearance of 10-year-old Holly Piirainen from Massachusetts in 1993.
Investigators stopped short of naming David Pouliot, who died in 2003, as a suspect.
Holly Piirainen was abducted during a family vacation in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, on August 5, 1993, and her remains were discovered two months later eight miles away in Brimfield.
No one has ever been charged with Holly Piirainen murder, but analysis of forensic evidence found at the scene has revealed a new suspect.
At a press conference today, Hampden County District Attorney Mark Mastroianni released the name of David Pouliot, a 49-year-old man from Springfield who died in 2003.
David Pouliot was a Vietnam War veteran, a member of the U.S. Coast Guard and worked for the Massachusetts Department of Youth Services in Westfield, Fox News reported.
The potential new suspect is the first new lead in the case for more than 10 years.
Holly Piirainen was abducted during a family vacation in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, on August 5, 1993, and her remains were discovered two months later eight miles away in Brimfield
David Procopio, a spokesman for the Massachusetts State Police, told The Boston Globe: “We hope the new evidence may spark someone’s memory, or someone’s conscience.
“Holly’s family has waited for justice for almost two decades.”
Holly Piirainen disappeared after she and her brother went to a neighbor’s house to look at a litter of puppies.
Rick Piirainen, her father, was planning to go to attend a news conference in Hampden Superior Court this morning along with sons Andrew and Zachary – who were eight and five at the time of her disappearance.
Investigators have speculated Holly Piirainen’s abduction and murder could be linked with that of Molly Bish, who disappeared on June 27, 2000, after she was dropped off at Comins Pond in Warren where she was a lifeguard.
The 16-year-old’s remains were found in 2003 in a wooded area near Comins Pond.