The family of late star Michael Jackson has lost its bid for a second wrongful death trial against concert promoter AEG Live.
AEG Live was cleared of liability in October after a five-month trial.
Michael Jackson’s mother Katherine Jackson and his children had claimed the jury was not given proper instructions, but a judge has ruled against a retrial.
The megastar died in 2009 after being given an overdose of powerful anaesthetic propofol by Conrad Murray, which AEG Live had hired as his personal doctor.
The promoter of Michael Jackson’s comeback concerts, This Is It, was sued by the singer’s mother, 83, and three children Prince Michael, Paris and Blanket.
But the company was cleared of negligence by the jury, which concluded that Conrad Murray had been sufficiently qualified for the job.
In court in Los Angeles the Jackson family had argued that the jury was not given the right verdict forms and their instructions were confusing.
“The court finds no jury confusion, based on the admissible evidence,” said Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos.
Michael Jackson’s family has lost its bid for a second wrongful death trial against concert promoter AEG Live
A statement from AEG Live was released through its lawyer Marvin Putnam.
“We were confident that the court would uphold the jury’s verdict,” he said.
Marvin Putnam added: “This is also fantastic news for the taxpayers of California, who won’t have their hard-earned money wasted retrying plaintiffs’ baseless claims. Enough is enough.”
Lawyers for the Jackson family said they may send their appeal to a higher state court.
“We believe there are numerous ways that we can win on appeal,” said lawyer Kevin Boyle.
Jurors who spoke after October’s verdict said it did not mean they thought Conrad Murray was ethical in his care of Michael Jackson, but that he was fit and competent to serve as the singer’s doctor when he was hired.
Conrad Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2011 for Michael Jackson’s death. He was released in October after serving half of his 4-year sentence, under a California state plan to reduce prison overcrowding.
The former doctor’s medical licenses remain suspended or revoked in the US states where he previously practiced medicine.
TJ Jackson, Michael Jackson’s nephew, has asked a judge to dismiss a petition filed by his cousin, Anthony Jackson II, who is challenging TJ’s guardianship of the King of Pop’s three children.
TJ Jackson, 35, was placed in charge of Prince, Paris and Blanket in July 2012, following a family feud, which was sparked by the apparent disappearance of family matriarch Katherine Jackson.
Katherine Jackson had previously been appointed the guardian of her grandkids following the Michael Jackson’s death in 2009.
TJ Jackson was placed in charge of Prince, Paris and Blanket in July 2012
She subsequently agreed to co-parent the youngsters with TJ, but the pair has since been faced with a new fight from Anthony Jackson II, who has filed his own legal papers asking to be named the children’s new guardian.
However, TJ Jackson claims Anthony, who is said to be his cousin, has failed to properly outline the reasons for his petition and he is therefore requesting the challenge be thrown out of court, reports TMZ.
In his documents, TJ, son of Tito Jackson, reveals he and Katherine Jackson are doing well as co-guardians and insists Prince, Paris and Blanket are happy with the arrangements.
Dr. Conrad Murray, who was convicted of causing Michael Jackson’s death, has been released from jail.
The former cardiologist served less than 2 years of a 4-year sentence after being convicted in November 2011 of involuntary manslaughter.
Jail records confirmed Conrad Murray’s release and the sheriff’s office said he left a Los Angeles jail at 12:01 on Monday.
Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009, after receiving a lethal dose of the anaesthetic propofol from Conrad Murray.
The King of Pop had been out of the public eye for several years but was preparing for a series of comeback performances at the O2 arena in London and Conrad Murray was serving as his personal physician.
Conrad Murray served less than 2 years of a 4-year sentence after being convicted in November 2011 of involuntary manslaughter
Conrad Murray, 60, had been sentenced to serve four years behind bars, but a change in California law allowed his jail term to be significantly reduced.
The former doctor’s medical licences remain suspended or revoked in the US states where he previously practised medicine.
According to ABC News, Conrad Murray’s legal team is filing petitions in Texas to have his medical licence reinstated.
“He’s pretty confident that he’ll be able to practise medicine again somewhere,” Conrad Murray’s legal representative, Valerie Wass told the US broadcaster.
Conrad Murray is also appealing against his conviction, although an appeals court has questioned whether it needs to hear the case.
The doctor previously maintained clinics in Houston and Las Vegas and complained on several occasions about conditions in jail following his conviction and before his sentencing.
Conrad Murray was allowed to serve his entire sentence in a Los Angeles jail instead of a state prison due to a law which allowed nonviolent offenders to be moved to local prisons to limit overcrowding.
”Dr. Murray has not received any special treatment in jail and in fact has many less privileges than most inmates because of his notoriety,” Valerie Wass said earlier this year.
Valerie Wass said he was “very much looking forward to his release and getting on with his life”.
According to ABC News, Michael Jackson’s mother, Katherine Jackson, said the singer’s family hopes Conrad Murray “can never practise medicine again and will not violate his hypocratic oath and hurt another patient”.