Piers Morgan’s CNN prime-time talk show – Piers Morgan Live – is to be canceled.
Piers Morgan, 48, told The New York Times it had been “a painful period” for the show, which has suffered lacklustre ratings.
CNN’s audience had tired of hearing a Briton weigh in on American cultural issues, he said.
Piers Morgan said he was in discussions with CNN about a new role at the channel following the end of the show, probably in March.
The former Daily Mirror editor replaced veteran host Larry King three years ago and interviewed statesman and celebrities, including ex-President Bill Clinton, and financier Warren Buffett. Oprah Winfrey was Piers Morgan Live’s first guest.
Piers Morgan’s CNN prime-time talk show is to be canceled
But it was his outspoken remarks about gun ownership that have garnered most attention in recent months.
“Look, I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarizing, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it,” Piers Morgan told the New York Times.
Piers Morgan said that he would like to do fewer appearances that have more impact.
Interviews with major celebrities and powerful figures would be “better suited to what I do well”, he said.
Earlier this month it emerged that Piers Morgan had been questioned by police under caution over alleged phone hacking at Mirror Group Newspapers.
Piers Morgan has always denied any involvement in hacking.
President Nicolas Maduro has threatened to expel the CNN staff from Venezuela over its reporting of recent protests there.
Nicolas Maduro said he would take action if CNN did not “rectify its coverage”.
Earlier, Nicolas Maduro said he was sending troops to the western state of Tachira, where there has been continuing unrest.
With tensions running high, the leader of the opposition, Henrique Capriles, has called for a fresh, peaceful anti-government march on Saturday.
There were reports of further clashes in the state of Tachira and in districts of the capital, Caracas.
At a news conference, Henrique Capriles rejected violence and said he was ready for dialogue, but claimed the government was not willing to listen.
Nicolas Maduro has threatened to expel the CNN staff from Venezuela over its reporting of recent protests there
“In this turbulent hour, we call on the students and on those on the streets not to fall into the trap of violence,” Henrique Capriles said before showing several videos allegedly containing evidence of abuses by the security forces.
On national television, President Nicolas Maduro accused his opponents of promoting violence.
He vowed to take the perpetrators of attacks against the Caracas metro, who were allegedly also caught on video, to court.
Nicolas Maduro also lashed out against the coverage of the protests by foreign news organizations.
“Enough war propaganda, I won’t accept war propaganda against Venezuela. If they don’t rectify themselves, out of Venezuela, CNN, out,” he said.
Last week, the government removed Colombian TV news channel NTN24 from channels offered by Venezuelan cable operators.
Nicolas Maduro also ordered the expulsion of three US diplomats this week.
Earlier on Thursday, a Venezuelan court ordered that detained opposition politician Leopoldo Lopez remains in custody pending further hearings.
Leopoldo Lopez of the opposition Popular Will party handed himself over to the authorities on Tuesday.
The government is charging Leopoldo Lopez with intentional arson, inciting violence, damage to public property and conspiracy.
Onil and Pedro Castro, the brothers of Cleveland kidnapping suspect Ariel Castro, have spoken out for the first time, saying that they would have turned him in if they knew three women were being held prisoner in his home.
Onil and Pedro Castro, who were arrested along with Ariel, say that since their release from prison, they have been faced with online death threats, a break-in at one of their homes, and vandalism.
They were released several days after their arrest due to lack of evidence linking them to the crimes.
When asked by CNN reporter Martin Savidge if the public would always suspect they had a role in the kidnappings, they answered “yes” in unison.
Onil and Pedro Castro speak out for first time and insist they knew nothing about female prisoners in brother Ariel’s home
Onil Castro said: “The people out there who know me, they know that Onil Castro is not that person, has nothing to do with that – would never even think of something like that. I was a very liked person [before the arrest], never had any enemies.
“[There is] no reason for anybody to think that I would ever do something like that. It was a shock to all my friends. They couldn’t believe it.”
Pedro Castro added: “I couldn’t ever think of doing anything like that. If I knew that my brother was doing this, in a minute I would have called the cops; cause that isn’t right. But yeah, it’s going to haunt me down. Cause people are going to think Pedro had something to do with this and Pedro doesn’t have anything to do this.”
They said that even though Ariel Castro is their brother, they would have had no choice but to turn him in – had they known.
“If I knew, I would have reported it, brother or no brother.”
Onil and Pedro Castro spoke amid new revelations of odd behavior at Ariel Castro house in the days prior to the women’s escape.
The brothers were initially taken into custody but released Thursday after investigators said there was no evidence against them.
The Empire State Building was bathed in blue light on Election Night as Barack Obama won a second term in office.
Two columns of light, one red and one blue, had been winding their way up the skyscraper in a display put on by CNN.
Each column represented the number of electoral college votes secured by Barack Obama and Mitt Romney.
But at 11:20 p.m. the building was lit completely blue as the channel predicted that Barack Obama would serve another four years in office.
Dominating the Midtown skyline of Manhattan, the Empire State Building already celebrates many cultures and causes worldwide with its iconic lighting’s and this latest addition is the brainchild of CNN.
The tower changes lights to recognize key milestones such as Christmas Day and Halloween, charitable organizations such as World AIDS Day and even beloved movies such as the Disney’s The Lion King.
The tradition began in 1932 when a searchlight shone from the skyscraper to announce the election of New York born Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
To celebrate the nation’s Bicentennial in 1976, the building’s owners installed colored lights to illuminate the building at night in red, white and blue – which was the direct descendant of the popular Lighting Partner program that runs to this day.
Soaring 1,454 feet above Midtown Manhattan (from base to antenna), the Empire State Building is the World’s Most Famous Office Building.
The skyscraper’s robust broadcasting technology supports all major television and FM radio stations in the New York metropolitan market.
The Empire State Building was named America’s favorite building in a poll conducted by the American Institute of Architects.
The Empire State Building Observatory is one of the world’s most beloved attractions and is the city’s number one tourist destination.
Indeed, CNN ran a test on 3:30 a.m. last Friday but no one worked out what the skyscraper was doing before today’s announcement.
The Empire State Building was bathed in blue light on Election Night as Barack Obama won a second term in office
FAMOUS LIGHTING OF EMPIRE STATE
• In May 1998 the Empire State was bathed in blue lights to celebrate the life of Frank Sinatra in honor of his nickname Ol’Blue Eyes
• After the death of Fay Wray, the star of 1933’s legendary King Kong which makes use of the skyscraper in its final scene – the building stood in complete darkness for 15 minutes.
• For several months after the destruction of the World Trade Center in 2001, the building was lit in the red, white and blue of the Star Spangled Banner.
• On June 4, 2002, the Empire State Building donned purple and gold (the royal colors of Queen Elizabeth II), in thanks for the United Kingdom playing the Star Spangled Banner during the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace on September 12, 2001 which was a show of support after the September 11 Attacks
• The building is illuminated in tennis-ball yellow during the US Open tennis tournament in late August and early September
CNN earned itself another black eye after wrongly reporting that the New York Stock Exchange was flooded with three feet of water following the worst of Hurricane Sandy.
“There has been no damage to our building or systems, and we will conduct tests with the industry today with the aim of reopening U.S. markets on Wednesday,” NYSE spokesman Ray Pellecchia said in a statement.
During a live segment on Piers Morgan’s show Monday night, the anchor spoke with the network’s meteorologist who based the sensational claim solely on a comment left in a chat room.
“You have an update on the stock exchange situation. Do we still think that three feet of water got into the exchange? There seem to be conflicting reports now,” Piers Morgan asked meteorologist Chad Myers.
“Oh, is that right? You know, I got that from the National Weather Service chat bulletin board. It was right on there; it said three feet of water on the floor. I don’t know if there’s conflicting reports or not,” Chad Myers said.
CNN wrongly reported that NYSE was flooded with 3 feet of water following the worst of Hurricane Sandy
The claim instantly went viral, spreading quickly on social networks and circulating as fact.
An NYSE official quickly tried to thwart the rumor, saying that the infrastructure of the landmark Wall Street building was “fine”.
A spokesman for the network issued a vague apology, purposefully avoiding the point of the fact that their sources were as murky as the alleged sea water that covered much of lower Manhattan.
“Chad referenced a National Weather Service report that turned out to be incorrect. We quickly made an on air correction. We regret the error,” CNN spokesman Bridget Leininger said.
Anderson Cooper admitted on Friday that CNN had come across the late Ambassador Christopher Stevens’ personal journal and used parts of it in its reporting without disclosing the source.
On Wednesday on his show Anderson Cooper 360, the CNN host told Senator John McCain that “a source familiar with Ambassador Stevens’ thinking told us that in the months before his death he talked about being worried about the never-ending security threats that he was facing in Benghazi, and specifically about the rise in Islamist extremism and growing al Qaeda presence”.
Anderson Cooper added that “the source also mentioned [Stevens] being on an al Qaeda hit list”.
Two days later, Anderson Cooper acknowledged that CNN had obtained Christopher Stevens’ journal, and that some of the information regarding the late ambassador’s thought process in the months leading to the deadly September 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi was drawn from his entries.
Anderson Cooper admitted that CNN had come across the late Ambassador Christopher Stevens' personal journal and used parts of it in its reporting without disclosing the source
“On Wednesday of this week, we reported that a source familiar with Ambassador Stevens’ thinking said in the months before his death, Ambassador Stevens talked about being worried about what he called the never-ending security threats in Benghazi,” Anderson Cooper told his viewers Friday night.
“We also reported that the ambassador specifically mentioned the rise in Islamic extremism, the growing al Qaeda presence in Libya and said he was on an al Qaeda hit list.
“The information for that report, like all of CNN’s reporting, was carefully vetted. Some of that information was found in a personal journal of Ambassador Stevens in his handwriting.
“We came upon the journal through our reporting and notified the family. At their request, we returned that journal to them. We reported what we found newsworthy in the ambassador’s writings. A reporter followed up on what we found newsworthy, as I said, in the ambassador’s writings,” Anderson Cooper concluded.
Shortly after 1: 00 a.m. on Saturday, CNN published a story without a by-line on its website explaining how the journal came into its possession, and how the information it contains was used in the network’s reporting.
According to the article, CNN found Christopher Stevens’ journal four days after the ambassador was killed by Libyans protesting an anti-Muslim film produced by an American filmmaker.
Below Paris’ 12million residents lay the remains of 6 million others – known as France’s Empire of the Dead, a world which is brought to life in a new documentary on CNN.
The Paris catacombs are a 200-mile network of old caves, tunnels and quarries and much of it is filled with the skulls and bones of the dead.
Much of the catacombs are out of bounds to the public, making it illegal to explore unsupervised.
But nevertheless, it is a powerful draw for a hardcore group of explorers with a thirst for adventure.
A tourist-friendly, legal entrance can be found off Place Denfert-Rochereau in the 14th arrondissement of Paris, near the Montparnasse district.
Here, visitors from all over the world can descend into the city’s dark and dank bowels for a whistle-stop tour of a small section of the catacombs.
The Paris catacombs are a 200-mile network of old caves, tunnels and quarries and much of it is filled with the skulls and bones of the dead
One visitor told CNN: “I think people are fascinated with death. They don’t know what it’s about and you see all these bones stacked up, and the people that have come before us, and it’s fascinating. We’re trying to find our past and it’s crazy and gruesome and fun all at the same time.”
The well-worn trail might be enough to satisfy the tourists, but other Parisians like to go further – and deeper – to explore the network.
The name given to the group of explorers who go into the cave network illegally and unsupervised is Cataphiles.
The top secret groups go deep underground, using hidden entrances all over the city. And they sometimes stay for days at a time, equipped with head lamps and home-made maps.
Street names are etched into the walls to help explorers navigate their way around the underground version of the city and some groups have even been known to throw parties in the tunnels or drink wine.
For catacomb devotees, the silence experienced deep in tunnels cannot be replicated anywhere else.
Urban explorer Loic Antoine-Gambeaud told CNN: “I think it’s in the collective imagination. Everybody knows that there is something below Paris; that something goes on that’s mysterious. But I don’t think many people have even an idea of what the underground is like.”
Those caught exploring unauthorized sections of the network could end up out of pocket. Police tasked with patrolling the tunnels have the power to hand out fines of 60 Euros to anyone caught illegally roaming the network.
A by-product of the early development of Paris, the catacombs were subterranean quarries which were established as limestone was extracted deep underground to build the city above.
However, a number of streets collapsed as the quarries weakened parts of the city’s foundations. Repairs and reinforcements were made and the network went through several transformations throughout history.
However it wasn’t until the 18th century that the catacombs became known as the Empire of the Dead when they became the solution to overcrowding in the city’s cemeteries.
CNN presenter Anderson Cooper has publicly announced that he is gay.
In an email published online, Anderson Cooper said he was proud of his sexuality and had decided to speak out in case anyone thought he was ashamed.
The son of socialite Gloria Vanderbilt, he said he had not previously spoken out on his sexual orientation for personal and professional reasons.
CNN said it had no comment and there were no plans for Anderson Cooper to discuss the matter on air.
CNN presenter Anderson Cooper has publicly announced that he is gay
Anderson Cooper wrote in the email, published by Andrew Sullivan of the Daily Beast: “It’s become clear to me that by remaining silent on certain aspects of my personal life for so long, I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something.”
He continues: “The fact is, I’m gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself and proud.
“I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues.”
Anderson Cooper’s sexual orientation had long been subject to rumors.
His show, Anderson Cooper 360, received an award earlier this year from a gay rights group.