Roman Originals, the company selling the blue and black dress that blew up on social media last week, found itself in the middle of a child labor investigation, according to a 2007 report by British newspaper, TheObserver.
The company – which sells the internet’s favorite black and blue dress for about $77, and is reportedly planning to produce a white and gold version – was apparently one of at least two UK-based retailers that contracted services through a supplier in India.
Photo Roman Originals
During a trip through what the publication called “a network of mud-bricked sweatshops” in a section of New Delhi, The Observer said in 2007 it “found dozens of children cramped together producing clothes for the UK high street. In one sweatshop, children were finishing a summer dress, now on sale for £16.99 [about $26] in 250 Select clothing stores across Britain.”
The publication quoted one boy who implied he lived at the sweatshop: “<<I want to work here. I have somewhere to sleep at night>>, he says looking furtively behind him. <<The work is hard and my back hurts from crouching over the material but I am learning>>.”
The dress seller later said in a statement that it canceled its contract with the supplier immediately after learning about the accusations.
A Samsung Electronics investigation has found “evidence of suspected child labor” at a factory of its Chinese supplier Dongguan Shinyang Electronics.
The South Korean giant tech conducted an investigation into the supplier after New York-based campaign group, China Labor Watch, accused it of hiring children.
The company has “temporarily” suspended business with the supplier following the investigation.
Samsung said that Chinese authorities were also looking into the matter.
A Samsung Electronics investigation has found evidence of suspected child labor at a factory of its Chinese supplier Dongguan Shinyang Electronics
“If the investigations conclude that the supplier indeed hired children illegally, Samsung will permanently halt business with the supplier in accordance with its zero tolerance policy on child labor,” Samsung said in a statement.
“Furthermore, Samsung will strengthen its hiring process not only at its production facilities but also at its suppliers to prevent such case from reoccurring.”
Samsung said it had conducted three audits on the Dongguan Shinyang Electronics since 2013, with the latest one ending on June 25 this year.
However, it added that “no cases of child labor were found during these audits”.
Samsung launched a subsequent investigation following the allegations by China Labor Watch and “found evidences of illegal hiring process that took place on June 29”.
This is the first time Samsung has reported finding evidence of underage workers at its suppliers.