Home Tags Posts tagged with "Auto racing"
Former NASCAR driver Richard “The King” Petty said Danica Patrick will only win a NASCAR race if everyone else stays at home.
In an interview with Wheels.ca, Richard Lee Petty was asked if he thinks Danica Patrick will ever win a race in the Sprint Cup Series.
The King’s response was: “Only if everybody else stayed home.”
Former NASCAR driver Richard “The King” Petty said Danica Patrick will only win a NASCAR race if everyone else stays at home
Richard Petty continued: “If she’d have been a male, nobody would ever know if she’d showed up at a race track,” said the seven-time Daytona 500 champion.
“This is a female deal that’s driving her. There’s nothing wrong with that, because that’s good PR for me. More fans come out, people are more interested in it. She has helped to draw attention to the sport, which helps everybody in the sport.”
[youtube 5KIJNJZyEU0 650]
Go Daddy’s outrageous Super Bowl commercials have become a tradition.
This year’s Go Daddy commercial you will see on February 2 features NASCAR driver Danica Patrick and it looks to be the complete opposite of what anyone would expect.
The Associated Press notes that Go Daddy teased last year that it might be dropping Danica Patrick from its campaign, only to use her in both Super Bowl spots.
Previously on For The Win, Danica Patrick was transformed from NASCAR driver to bodybuilder.
Danica Patrick’s dramatic weight gain was for a new Go Daddy commercial in which she races gigantic men to a tanning salon
Danica Patrick’s dramatic weight gain was for a new Go Daddy commercial in which she races gigantic men to a tanning salon.
All these body builders have finally found their favorite tanning business, thanks to Go Daddy.
No word on how Danica Patrick’s new muscle gain will impact her on the track, but there is no question she immediately becomes the driver most likely to win at arm wrestling.
[youtube IhOMPk1LZFk 650]
Bernie Ecclestone has decided to step down from the board of the company which runs Formula 1 following his indictment on bribery charges in Germany.
However, Bernie Ecclestone, 83, will continue to run the business on a day-to-day basis, Delta Topco said in a statement.
Bernie Ecclestone will go on trial to face allegations he bribed German banker Gerhard Gribkowsky who is serving a jail sentence for receiving the payment.
He admits paying Gerhard Gribkowsky, but denies bribery.
Bernie Ecclestone has decided to step down from the board of the company which runs Formula 1 following his indictment on bribery charges in Germany
The board of Delta Topco met on Thursday and were told by Bernie Ecclestone that he intended to vigorously defend the case, which will commence in late April.
A statement read: “After discussion with the board, Mr. Ecclestone has proposed and the board has agreed that until the case has been concluded, he will step down as a director with immediate effect, thereby relinquishing his board duties and responsibilities until the case has been resolved.
“The board believes that it is in the best interests of both the F1 business and the sport that Mr. Ecclestone should continue to run the business on a day to day basis, but subject to increased monitoring and control by the board.
“Mr. Ecclestone has agreed to these arrangements.”
German prosecutors have accused Bernie Ecclestone of giving a $45 million bribe to Gerhard Gribkowsky to ensure F1 was sold to a private equity group of his choosing.
[youtube 9BMu5UqpZM4 650]
[youtube iUcTEhHlx6w 650]
Danica Patrick was back in Las Vegas after the NASCAR Sprint Cup Awards last week.
She co-hosted the American Country Awards on Tuesday night.
Danica Patrick co-hosted the American Country Awards
Danica Patrick donned a showgirl costume, then joked: “There’s no chance of a wardrobe malfunction.”
“There’s not much to malfunction,” Danica Patrick said, then added with a wink: “I hope that little bit didn’t fall <<flat>>.”
[youtube iVUdEGuZU3Y 650]
Dario Franchitti announced Thursday he will no longer be able to compete in auto racing because of injuries suffered in an October 6 crash.
The 40-year-old IndyCar champion, who suffered a broken back, right ankle and concussion in a crash at the Houston Grand Prix that sent his car airborne into a catchfence and back onto the temporary street circuit, also won three Indianapolis 500s in a career that started in 1997.
Dario Franchitti and his team were looking forward to his return in 2014, when Ganassi is welcoming 2013 Indianapolis 500 winner Tony Kanaan to the stable that already includes three-time and reigning IndyCar champion Scott Dixon.
The Chip Ganassi Racing driver ends his career tied for eighth on the all-time list with 31 career wins and 33 pole positions.
Dario Franchitti issued the following statement: “Since my racing accident in Houston, I have been in the expert care of some of the leading doctors and nurses, all of whom have made my health, my safety and my recovery their top priority. I am eternally grateful for the medical care I have received over the last several weeks. I’d also like to thank my family and friends for their unbelievable support.
Dario Franchitti announced he will no longer be able to compete in auto racing because of injuries suffered in Houston crash
“One month removed from the crash and based upon the expert advice of the doctors who have treated and assessed my head and spinal injuries post accident, it is their best medical opinion that I must stop racing. They have made it very clear that the risks involved in further racing are too great and could be detrimental to my long term well-being. Based on this medical advice, I have no choice but to stop.
“Racing has been my life for over 30 years and it’s really tough to think that the driving side is now over. I was really looking forward to the 2014 season with Target Chip Ganassi Racing, with a goal of winning a fourth Indianapolis 500 and a fifth IndyCar Series championship.
“I’d like to thank all my fellow competitors, teammates, crew and sponsors for their incredible support over the course of this amazing ride. I’d also like to thank Hogan Racing, Team KOOL Green and Andretti Green Racing for the opportunities to compete on the racetrack, and especially Target Chip Ganassi Racing, who have become like a family to me since I joined their team back in 2008. I would be remiss if I didn’t thank all my fans around the world. I can’t thank you enough for standing by my side for all these years.
“I’ll forever look back on my time racing in CART and the IndyCar Series with fond memories and the relationships I’ve forged in the sport will last a lifetime.
“Hopefully in time, I’ll be able to continue in some off-track capacity with the IndyCar Series. I love open-wheel racing and I want to see it succeed. I’ll be working with Chip to see how I can stay involved with the team, and with all the amazing friends I’ve made over the years at Target.”
[youtube XHLc7f6lmno 650]
Maria de Villota died as a consequence of the injuries she suffered during the 2012 crash, her family have been told.
Spanish racing driver Maria de Villota, 33, was found dead in a hotel room in Seville, Spain on Friday.
Maria de Villota lost her right eye in a crash in July 2012, while testing for the Marussia team.
In a statement, the family said a forensic doctor told them she had died “as a consequence of the neurological injuries she suffered” in the incident.
Maria de Villota needed lengthy surgery on serious head and facial injuries after colliding with a lorry at Duxford Aerodrome, Cambridgeshire, but had been cleared to resume driving.
The family statement added: “Maria is gone, but she has left us a very clear message of joy and hope, which is helping the family move on in these moments.”
Maria de Villota died as a consequence of the injuries she suffered during the 2012 crash
The potential link between Maria de Villota’s crash in 2012 and her death is being investigated by Britain’s Health and Safety Executive.
An HSE spokeswoman said the organization “would expect to be kept informed of any new evidence”. The Banbury-based Marussia team was cleared last year with regard to any potential fault on the car.
Formula 1 drivers will hold a minute’s silence at the Japanese Grand Prix on Sunday, and dedicate the winner’s podium to Maria de Villota.
A statement from the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association (GPDA), which represents most competitors, said the silence would be held before the drivers’ parade at Suzuka.
“She has been an active member and contributed to driver safety in a very enthusiastic and most professional manner,” the GPDA said.
“Her positive attitude, maturity and extreme commitment will never be forgotten and are something we have learned from. Maria will be missed and always remembered by all of us.”
Maria de Villota, daughter of former Formula 1 driver Emilio, was reported to have been in Seville to launch her autobiography.
A police spokeswoman said her body was found at around 07:00 at the Hotel Sevilla Congresos in Sevilla.
Maria de Villota, who had been in motor racing for 12 years, previously competed in her country’s Formula 3 competition and the Daytona 24 Hours race in the United States.
Maria de Villota first drove a Formula 1 car when testing for Lotus Renault two years ago.
Former Formula 1 reserve driver Maria de Villota has been found dead in a hotel room in Seville, Spain.
Maria de Viollota suffered serious head and facial injuries in an accident in July 2012 when testing for the Marussia team in Cambridgeshire.
Maria de Villota has been found dead in a hotel room in Seville
However, the 33-year-old was cleared to drive again in February.
Maria de Villota, daughter of former Spanish F1 driver Emilio de Villota, had previously raced in Spanish Formula 3 and the Daytona 24 Hours.
F1 teams and drivers have expressed their shock at the news.