Harvey Weinstein has reached a tentative $25 million settlement with dozens of women who have accused him of misconduct, lawyers have said.
Some 30 actresses and ex-employees would share the payout in the deal.
However, it still needs signing off by all parties, Harvey Weinstein’s lawyers have not commented and some say the deal will punish those holding out.
The Hollywood mogul faces a separate criminal trial next month on rape and assault charges, which he denies.
Harvey Weinstein could face life in jail if convicted.
On December 11, the Hollywood producer’s bail sum was raised from $1 million to $5 million for the alleged mishandling of an electronic ankle monitor.
Harvey Weinstein attended the court hearing in New York using a walking frame. His lawyers said he was undergoing surgery on December 12 for injuries suffered in a car accident in August.
The $25 million settlement is part of a larger $47 million package intended to close the Weinstein Company’s liabilities, including legal fees. Harvey Weinstein would not pay personally, the sum would come from insurance companies representing the Weinstein Company.
A group lawsuit had been brought by dozens of women who accuse Harvey Weinstein of harassment and abuse, though high-profile figures who have also made allegations, such as Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie, are not part of the action.
Genie Harrison, a lawyer for one of the plaintiffs, told the New York Times: “I don’t think there’s a markedly better deal to be made.”
She said other alleged victims who hold out could end up with nothing, and that they should “come forward and be able to get the best level of compensation we were able to get”.
One plaintiff backing the deal, Louisette Geiss, told Associated Press: “This settlement will ensure that all survivors have the chance for recovery and can move forward without Harvey’s damaging lock on their careers.”