At least three people have been shot dead in a tram attack in the central Dutch city of Utrecht on March 18.
Authorities say the incident appears to be a terrorist attack.
Five others were injured in the incident.
Utrecht police have arrested Gokmen Tanis, a 37-year-old Turkish man, in connection with the shooting.
“We have just been informed that the suspect has been arrested,” police chief Rob van Bree told reporters.
It is not yet clear where Gokmen Tanis was detained.
Schools were closed and security was increased while counter-terrorism police worked to locate the suspect.
A picture of the suspect was posted on social media by police, who warned people against approaching him.
A number of raids were reportedly carried out and counter-terrorism officers were pictured surrounding a building near the 24 Oktoberplein junction, where the tram attack took place.
PM Mark Rutte earlier said the country had been “jolted by an attack”, which he described as “deeply disturbing”.
The tram attack happened at about 10:45 local time . One witness told local media that “a man started shooting wildly”.
Another witness told Dutch public broadcaster NOS that he had helped an injured woman after the tram came to a stop.
Meanwhile, the threat level has been reduced following the arrest. It was earlier raised to its highest point in the province of Utrecht. Paramilitary police were seen in airports and mosques.
Utrecht University closed all of its buildings and trains were not allowed to run into the city’s central station. Some public transport services have now reopened.
Utrecht, the Netherlands’ fourth largest city, has a population of about 340,000.
Crime levels are low and gun killings are rare, which is the case for much of the country.