Home World Middle East News Jamal Khashoggi Case: Saudi Arabia Admits Journalist Was Murdered

Jamal Khashoggi Case: Saudi Arabia Admits Journalist Was Murdered


Image source www.alaraby.co.uk

Saudi Arabia has admitted journalist Jamal Khashoggi was murdered and blamed his killing on a “rogue operation”, giving a new account of an act that sparked a global outcry.

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir told Fox News “the murder” had been a “tremendous mistake” and denied the powerful crown prince had ordered it.

Jamal Khashoggi was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.

The Saudi government, under intense pressure to explain Jamal Khashoggi’s whereabouts, has offered conflicting accounts.

They initially said Jamal Khashoggi had left the consulate on October 2 – but on October 19 admitted for the first time he was dead, saying he had been killed in a fight. This claim met widespread skepticism.

Jamal Khashoggi Was Killed in Consulate Fight, Saudi Arabia Says

Jamal Khashoggi Disappearance: President Trump Suggests Rogue Killers to Blame

Jamal Khashoggi: Secretary Mike Pompeo Meets King Salman of Saudi Arabia in Riyadh

Jamal Khashoggi Disappearance: Turkish Officials Have Evidence Proving Saudi Murder

Turkish officials believe the journalist, a prominent critic of the Saudi government, was murdered by a team of Saudi agents inside the building and say they have evidence to prove it.

Adel al-Jubeir’s comments, describing the incident as murder, are some of the most direct to come from a Saudi official.

He said: “We are determined to find out all the facts and we are determined to punish those who are responsible for this murder.”

“The individuals who did this did this outside the scope of their authority,” he added.

“There obviously was a tremendous mistake made, and what compounded the mistake was the attempt to try to cover up.”

Adel al-Jubeir also said that Saudi Arabia did not know where the body was and insisted the action had not been ordered by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, seen as the country’s most powerful figure.

“Even the senior leadership of our intelligence service was not aware of this,” he said, calling it a “rogue operation”.

However, Yeni Safak, a media outlet close to Turkey’s government, says it has information showing that the office of the crown prince received four phone calls from the consulate after the killing.

On October 21, Reuters reported it had spoken to a Saudi official who said Jamal Khashoggi had died in a chokehold after resisting attempts to return him to Saudi Arabia. His body was then rolled in a rug and given to a local “co-operator” to dispose of.

A Saudi operative then reportedly donned Jamal Khashoggi’s clothes and left the consulate.