Prince’s family is suing the singer’s doctor, alleging he failed to properly treat the star for an opioid addiction.
According to ABC news, a lawsuit filed in Minnesota alleges that failures by Dr. Michael Schulenberg played a “substantial part” in the star’s death.
Prince Rogers Nelson died in 2016 at the age of 57 from an accidental overdose of the painkiller fentanyl, a powerful opioid.
Dr. Michael Schulenberg has denied any wrongdoing.
Earlier this year, prosecutors said no criminal charges would be brought over Prince’s death.
However, the family’s lawsuit, filed in Hennepin County District Court on Friday, alleges that Dr. Schulenberg’s actions had played a part.
According to ABC, the lawsuit read: “He failed to appropriately evaluate, diagnose, treat and counsel Prince for his recognizable opioid addiction, and further failed to take appropriate and reasonable steps to prevent the foreseeably fatal result of that addiction.
“These departures from the standard of acceptable medical practice had a substantial part in bringing about Prince’s death.”
Prince’s family is seeking unspecified damages in excess of $50,000.
Dr. Schulenberg’s lawyer said they intended to defend the case, the Associated Press reported.
Paul Peterson said in a statement: “We understand this situation has been difficult on everyone close to Mr. Nelson and his fans across the globe. Be that as it may, Dr. Schulenberg stands behind the care that Mr. Nelson received. We intend to defend this case.”
As well as Dr. Schulenberg, the lawsuit also names North Memorial Health Care, where the doctor worked, Walgreens stores, which dispenses medication, and UnityPoint Health.