Home Breaking News Las Vegas Mass Shooting UPDATE: At Least 58 Killed and 515 Injured

Las Vegas Mass Shooting UPDATE: At Least 58 Killed and 515 Injured


According to recent reports, the death toll of the last night mass shooting in Las Vegas has risen to 58.

More than five hundreds have been also injured after a gunman opened fire at the Route 91 Harvest festival.

The gunman, named as 64-year-old Nevada resident Stephen Paddock, opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel towards the open-air music festival attended by 22,000.

Stephen Paddock killed himself as police stormed the room where 10 guns were found.

Investigators have found no link to international terrorism, despite a claim from ISIS.

FBI Special Agent Aaron Rouse told a news conference: “We have determined at this point no connection to an international terrorist organization.”

ISIS had claimed to be behind the attack, saying that Stephen Paddock had converted to Islam some months ago.

However, ISIS provided no evidence for this and has made unsubstantiated claims in the past.

In an address from the White House, President Donald Trump described the attack as “pure evil”.

The president praised the efforts of the emergency services, saying their “miraculous” speed saved lives, and announced he would be visiting Las Vegas on October 4.

The attack is the worst mass shooting in recent US history.

Stephen Paddock’s motives remain unclear. Las Vegas Sheriff Joe Lombardo described the shooting as a “lone wolf” attack.

“We have no idea what his belief system was,” Joe Lombardo said.

Image source Getty Images

Las Vegas Shooting: At Least Two Dead and 24 Injured at Route 91 Harvest Festival

Cameo Nightclub Shooting: One Dead and 15 Injured in Cincinnati

According to a police statement, the shooting began at 22:08 local time on October 1. Stephen Paddock came from the small town of Mesquite, some 60 miles north-east of Las Vegas, and had resided in the hotel since September 28.

Police in Mesquite have searched Paddock’s premises and recovered a number of weapons. However, they say he had not crossed paths with the police in the past. A second property has also been searched.

Las Vegas police say the number of people injured now stands at 515.

Among those killed was an off-duty police officer.

Earlier, police announced they were seeking a woman, Marilou Danley, in connection with the shooting.

In his latest update, Sheriff Joe Lombardo said she had now been located outside the US and was not thought to have played any role.

Marilou Danley is believed to have lived with Stephen Paddock, and Sheriff Lombardo said he used some of her identity documents to check in to the hotel.

Witnesses reported that hundreds of shots were fired.

Hundreds of people fled the scene and the sound of what appeared to be prolonged automatic gunfire could be heard on videos posted on social media.

Many hotels on the Las Vegas Strip close to the scene remained on police lockdown and parts of Las Vegas Boulevard were shut.

People sheltered in hotels, restaurants and at Las Vegas McCarran airport.

The Route 91 Harvest festival had been taking place since September 29 at several hotels on the Las Vegas Strip.

Jason Aldean, who was rushed off stage when the shooting started, shared on Instagram that he was safe but heartbroken and did not know what to say.

“Tonight has been beyond horrific,” the country music singer wrote.

“It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night.”

Nevada has some of the least stringent gun laws in the US.

People are allowed to carry weapons and do not have to register themselves as a gun-owner.

Background checks are done when people buy guns, but they are also allowed to sell them privately.