Six people have been shot dead and another eight wounded in a gun attack at an Islamic center in Quebec City, Canada, police say.
Shots were fired at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Center on January 29, where more than 50 people had gathered for evening prayers.
One suspect was arrested at the scene and another was arrested nearby. Police do not believe there are other suspects at large.
The Canadian authorities are treating the shooting as a terror attack.
PM Justin Trudeau said in a statement: “We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge.
“Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities and country.”
Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard also referred to the shooting as a terrorist attack.
According to police spokeswoman Christine Coulombe, the dead were aged between about 35 and 70 years old. Some of those injured were in a serious condition, she said.
Police said the area was secure and the situation was “under control”. Thirty-nine people had left the mosque safely, they said.
Earlier, a witness had told Reuters that up to three gunmen had been involved. The news agency also reported that a “heavily armed police tactical squad” had been seen entering the mosque.
The second suspect fled the scene in a vehicle but was arrested on a bridge leading to Orleans Island, the Journal de Quebec reported. The suspect had called the police himself, the newspaper said.
Police seized automatic weapons and handguns from the alleged attackers, the Journal de Quebec reported.
The president of the mosque, Mohamed Yangui – who was not inside at the time – said the shooting had happened in the men’s section of the mosque.
On its Facebook page the center thanked the public “for the hundreds of messages of compassion”.
In June 2016, the same mosque was the target of an Islamophobic incident when a pig’s head was left in front of the building, with a card saying “bonne appetit”. Eating pork is forbidden in Islam.