Morocco’s PM Abdelilah Benkirane has ordered an investigation into the public TV broadcast of a Jennifer Lopez concert in the country.
J. Lo’s performance at the Mawazine festival in Rabat on May 29 was aired on the 2M public TV network.
Abdelilah Benkirane said the airing was “serious delinquency”, adding it contained “disgraceful scenes”.
He added the broadcast was in violation of Morocco’s audiovisual law.
Last week, Morocco’s minister of communication was criticized for allowing the concert to air on public TV, leading to calls for him to resign.
Writing to the president of Morocco’s High Authority of Audiovisual Communication, PM Abdelilah Benkirane demanded the authority “take legal measures against those responsible”.
The prime minsiter said the channel had broadcast scenes which were “provocative to the religious and moral values of Moroccan society”.
He said those responsible for the channel and its output “failed to intervene and stop the broadcast of the disgraceful scenes” as the concert was broadcast with a time delay.
J. Lo has performed in Morocco before with no trouble, however it is the first time one of her concerts has been broadcast on television.
An educational group is also suing Jennifer Lopez over the performance, claiming she “disturbed public order and tarnished women’s honor and respect”, TMZ reported.
In the event Jennifer Lopez and her promoter are prosecuted, the sentence could be up to two years in prison.