Pitch Perfect 2 has topped the US box office with $70.3 million on its opening weekend.
The comedy sequel earned more in its first weekend than the $65 million that the first installment pulled in over the course of its entire US run in cinemas.
Directed by actress Elizabeth Banks, Pitch Perfect 2 marks the highest ever opening for a first-time feature film director.
Pitch Perfect 2 sees Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson reprising their original roles, alongside newcomer Hailee Steinfeld, as the fictional a capella singing group The Barden Bellas.
Mad Max: Fury Road racked up $44.4 million after receiving positive reviews when it premiered at Cannes Film Festival last week.
Pitch Perfect 2 cost a modest $29 million to produce, while Mad Max: Fury Road carries a significant $150 million price tag.
North American box office Top 10:
- Pitch Perfect 2 – $70.3 million
- Mad Max: Fury Road – $44.4 million
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – $38.8 million
- Hot Pursuit – $5.8 million
- Furious 7 – $3.6 million
- Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 – $3.6 million
- The Age of Adaline – $3.2 million
- Home – $2.7 million
- Ex Machina – $2.1 million
- Far from the Madding Crowd – $1.3 million