The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water has topped the US box office, taking $56 million in its opening weekend.
The animated movie follows SpongeBob character as he leaves his home on the ocean floor and attempts to recover a stolen burger recipe.
Clint Eastwood’s Navy Seal drama American Sniper fell to second place after taking $24.2 million in its fourth week.
Since its release, American Sniper has raked in $282 million. Based on the memoirs of soldier Chris Kyle, it has received six Oscar nominations, including a best actor nod for Bradley Cooper in the title role.
Jupiter Ascending sold the third most tickets over the weekend, with estimated box office takings of $19 million.
Starring Channing Tatum, Mila Kunis and Eddie Redmayne, the sci-fi blockbuster has received wildly disparate reviews.
Seventh Son, a 3D fantasy-action film starring Jeff Bridges and Julianne Moore, took the fourth spot, earning $7.1 million.
Paddington, the film adaptation of the family classic about a bear lost in the big city, came fifth, with $5.4 million in ticket sales.
North America box office Top 10:
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water – $56 million
- American Sniper – $24.2 million
- Jupiter Ascending – $19 million
- Seventh Son – $7.1 million
- Paddington – $5.4 million
- Project Almanac – $5.3 million
- The Imitation Game – $4.9 million
- Black or White – $4.52 million
- The Wedding Ringer – $4.5 million
- The Boy Next Door – $4.1 million
[youtube TGjbpO1toTc 650]