Home World Africa news Ebola outbreak: More than 1,900 people died in West Africa

Ebola outbreak: More than 1,900 people died in West Africa


More than 1,900 people have now died in West Africa’s Ebola outbreak, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.

WHO head Margaret Chan said there were 3,500 confirmed or probable cases in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.

“The outbreaks are racing ahead of the control efforts in these countries,” she said.

On September 4, the WHO is holding a meeting to examine the most promising treatments and to discuss how to fast track their testing and production.

Disease control experts, medical researchers, officials from affected countries, and specialists in medical ethics will all be represented at the meeting in Geneva.

The WHO has previously warned that more than 20,000 people could be infected before the outbreak of the virus is brought under control.

Margaret Chan described the outbreak as “the largest and most severe and most complex we have ever seen”.

More than 1,900 people have now died in West Africa's Ebola outbreak

More than 1,900 people have now died in West Africa’s Ebola outbreak

“No one, even outbreak responders with experience dating back to 1976, to 1995, people that were directly involved with those outbreaks, none of them have ever seen anything like it,” she said.

At least 40% of the deaths have occurred in three weeks leading up to September 3, the WHO says.

Yesterday Nigeria reported two further cases in the city of Port Harcourt.

There had previously only been one case outside the city of Lagos, where five people have died from the virus.

“The outbreak of Ebola virus disease in Port Harcourt has the potential to grow larger and spread faster than the one in Lagos,” the WHO warned.

Also on September 3, the first British person to contract Ebola during the outbreak was discharged from hospital after making a full recovery.

On September 2, medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) warned that a global military intervention was needed to combat the outbreak.

MSF condemned the global response so far as “lethally inadequate” and said the world was “losing the battle” to contain the outbreak.

It has called for military and civilian teams capable of dealing with a biological disaster to be deployed immediately, as well as for more field hospitals with isolation wards to be set up, trained healthcare workers to be sent to the region and air support to move patients and medics across West Africa.

[youtube kzN-fUIByNY 650]

Kathryn - Our health specialist likes to share with the readers the latest news from the field. Nobody understands better than her the relation between healthy mind and healthy body.