Godzilla has topped the US box office with the second biggest opening of the year so far, beating The Amazing Spider-Man 2‘s debut.
Godzilla 3D took $93.2 million, putting it just behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which took $95 million when it opened in April.
The new take on the 1954 Japanese original stars Bryan Cranston, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen.
Last week’s top film Neighbors was in second place with Spider-Man third.
Neighbors, starring Seth Rogen, Zac Efron and Rose Byrne, earned $26 million in its second week at the US and Canada box office.
Andrew Garfield’s second outing as Peter Parker in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 took $17 million, according to estimates from Rentrak.
In fourth place was new entry Million Dollar Arm, a Disney sports drama starring Jon Hamm, while Cameron Diaz’s comedy The Other Woman was in fifth.
North America box office:
- Godzilla – $93.2 million
- Neighbors – $26 million
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – $17 million
- Million Dollar Arm – $11 million
- The Other Woman – $6.3 million
- Heaven Is for Real – $4.4 million
- Rio 2 – $4 million
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier – $3.8 million
- Legend of Oz – $2 million
- Mom’s Night Out – $1.9 million
[youtube vIu85WQTPRc 650]