North Korea’s launch of two ballistic missiles earlier this week has been condemned by the UN Security Council.
The UN Security Council also said it was considering an “appropriate response”.
The Council’s president, Luxembourg UN Ambassador Sylvie Lucas, described the North Korean move as a violation of Security Council resolutions.
North Korea test-fired two medium-range Nodong missiles over the sea on Wednesday.
It was Pyongyang’s first launch of such missiles since 2009.
Ballistic missile launches by Pyongyang are banned by the UN.
The Security Council held a closed debate on Thursday that included a report from the deputy secretary general for political affairs, Jeffrey Feltman, diplomats said.
The condemnation was not a formal statement but Sylvie Lucas said members had requested she read out the remarks as agreed by all participants.
She said members had agreed “to consult on an appropriate response” and said that this response “should be given quickly”.
The South Korean defense ministry said the missiles had been fired from the Suckon region north of Pyongyang and flew for about 400 miles before falling into the sea off the east coast of the Korean Peninsula.
The ministry described it as a “grave provocation”.
The US State Department described the launch as “a troubling and provocative escalation”.
In recent weeks, North Korea has launched multiple short-range missiles – actions which have coincided with annual US-South Korea military exercises.
[youtube SBvYN1qeusA 650]