Kenneth Bae, the American citizen held for more than a year in North Korea, has spoken to foreign media, and called for US “co-operation” to secure his release.
The Korean-American gave his first “press conference” since his detention under heavy prison guard.
Kenneth Bae was arrested in November 2012 and sentenced to 15 years’ hard labor in May.
North Korea said he had used his tourism business to form groups to overthrow the government.
Correspondents say Kenneth Bae – described as both a tour operator and Christian missionary – may have been speaking under strict editorial control.
“As far as I know, I have now been here for the longest amongst American citizens who came here and got detained,” he said.
“I believe that my problem can be solved by close co-operation and agreement between the American government and the government of this country.”
Kenneth Bae, who was wearing a grey cap and inmate’s uniform, denied reports that he had been badly treated.
He said there had been no infringement of his human rights, nor any severe or unfair treatment by Pyongyang.
The US state department says it has seen the reports and “remain(s) very concerned about Kenneth Bae’s health. We continue to urge the DPRK authorities to grant Bae amnesty and immediate release”.
A spokeswoman added the department continued to work actively to secure his release, “including through regular, close consultation with the Swedish embassy”.
Kenneth Bae’s appearance on Monday came weeks after North Korea freed Merrill Newman, 86-year-old American veteran of the Korean War who had been held since October.
[youtube 0fZen3rtl4w 650]