Up Late With Alec Baldwin has been cancelled, weeks after it was suspended following reports the actor had used an anti-gay slur.
MSNBC and Alec Baldwin jointly confirmed that the actor’s chat show “will not continue”.
“This is a mutual parting and we wish Alec all the best,” said a statement.
Alec Baldwin, 55, claimed gay activists had “killed” his show, but acknowledged he had to take “some responsibility” for his actions.
The show was suspended for two weeks when Alec Baldwin was caught on video, apparently insulting a photographer using a homophobic epithet.
Alec Baldwin disputed using the term, claiming the audio was unclear, but he nonetheless posted an apology on the MSNBC website.
“I did not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my choice of words, but clearly I have,” Alec Baldwin wrote earlier this month.
“Words are important. I understand that and will choose mine with great care going forward.”
Up Late With Alec Baldwin, which had dropped considerably in the ratings since its mid-October debut, was due to return on Friday.
Alec Baldwin said a “fundamentalist wing of gay advocacy” had played a part in the show’s cancellation.
Alec Baldwin, who is currently filming with Jerry Maguire director Cameron Crowe in Hawaii, frequently attracts press coverage with his incendiary remarks.
[youtube sOjehBP8m2g 650]