The Rhodes Trust has announced that 32 American students have been named Rhodes Scholars and will enter Oxford University in October 2014.
The winners were selected from 857 applicants endorsed by 327 different colleges and universities. The scholarships, announced early Sunday, provide all expenses for two or three years of study at the prestigious university in England.
Rhodes Scholarships were created in 1902 by the will of British philanthropist Cecil Rhodes. Winners are selected on the basis of high academic achievement, personal integrity, leadership potential and physical vigor, among other attributes.
The value of the scholarships averages about $50,000 per year.
The American students will join an international group of scholars selected from 14 other jurisdictions around the world. Approximately 80 scholars are selected annually.
The 32 American students chosen as Rhodes Scholars for 2014, listed by geographical region:
- Jessica Wamala, Milford, New Hampshire, Villanova University
- Alexander Joel Diaz, North Bergen, New Jersey, Harvard University
- Elizabeth Hockfield Byrne, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Harvard University
- Katherine Elida Warren, Bainbridge Island, Washington, Harvard University
- Isabel Emma Eggleston Beshar, Rye, New York, Yale University
- Paolo Poggioni Singer, Bronx, New York, Harvard University
- Evan Barrett Behrle, Oxford, Pennsylvania, University of Virginia
- Alexander Gerard Wang, Doylestown, Pennsylvania, New York University, Abu Dhabi
- Timothy Michael McGinnis, Charlotte, North Carolina, Princeton University
- Charles Samuel Tyson, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, University of Virginia
- Brian Westfall McGrail, Arlington, Virginia, Williams College
- Emma Pierson, Arlington, Virginia, Stanford University
- James O’Connell, Tampa, Florida, Wake Forest University
- Lindsay Evans Lee, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Melissa Loreice McCoy, Dallas, Texas, Georgia Institute of Technology
- John Mikhael, Dallas, Texas, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Adam Mastroianni, Monroeville, Ohio, Princeton University
- Courtney Wittekind, Mason, Ohio, Carnegie Mellon University
- Vinay Nayak, Oak Brook, Illinois, Yale University
- Calla Glavin, Birmingham, Michigan, US Military Academy
- Drew Alan Birrenkott, McFarland, Wisconsin, University of Wisconsin
- Samuel Martin Greene, Spring Green, Wisconsin, University of Chicago
- Donald Mayfield Brown, Vicksburg, Mississippi, Mississippi State University
- Joshua Allen Aiken, Eugene, Oregon, Washington University, St. Louis
- Meredith Lukens Wheeler, Fort Collins, Colorado, Stanford University
- Erin Alexandra Tanith Mauldin, Albuquerque, New Mexico, US Military Academy
- Suzanna Marie Fritzberg, Lake Forest Park, Washington, Yale University
- Andrew Scott Lea, Richland, Washington, Harvard University
- Miles William Unterreiner, Santa Barbara, California, Stanford University
- Clarke Knight, Henderson, Nevada, Smith College
- Aurora Catherine Griffin, Westlake Village, California, Harvard University
- Zarko Perovic, San Diego, California, University of California, Berkeley