Triple-Chocolate Pumpkin Pie from Martha Stewart
A hidden layer of bittersweet chocolate coats the crumb crust, semisweet imparts a silken smoothness to the customary custard, and a drizzle of milk chocolate on top.
Ingredients (12 serves):
- 2 cups (about 16 crackers) finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61% cacao), finely chopped
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate (preferably 55% cacao), chopped
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ounce milk chocolate, melted
- 1 can (15-ounce) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (12-ounce) evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- Ground cloves
- Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugars, salt, and cinnamon in bowl. Firmly press mixture into bottom and up sides of a deep, 9 1/2-inch pie dish. Bake until firm, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle bittersweet chocolate over bottom of crust. Return to oven to melt chocolate, about 1 minute. Spread chocolate in a thin layer on bottom and up sides. Let cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Make the filling: In a large heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt semisweet chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Mix pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and a pinch of cloves in a medium bowl. Whisk 1/3 pumpkin mixture into chocolate mixture. Whisk in remaining pumpkin mixture until completely incorporated.
- Transfer pie dish to a rimmed baking sheet, and pour pumpkin mixture into crust. Bake until center is set but still a bit wobbly, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pie dish on a wire rack. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 8 hours (preferably overnight). Before serving, drizzle melted milk chocolate on top. Serve immediately.