Home World Asia News North Korea: US officials play down threats after weeks of bellicose statements...

North Korea: US officials play down threats after weeks of bellicose statements from Pyongyang


It appears that US officials play down the North Korean threats, after weeks of bellicose statements from Pyongyang.

A White House spokesman said the US “would not be surprised” if North Korea launched a missile, while a top US military officer said recent threats appeared to fit a familiar pattern.

North Korea has threatened to attack both US and South Korean targets.

The communist country has told foreign embassies it cannot guarantee their safety in a conflict and diplomats in Pyongyang were asked on Friday to tell the foreign ministry by April 10 what help they would need in evacuating.

It appears that US officials play down the North Korean threats, after weeks of bellicose statements from Pyongyang

It appears that US officials play down the North Korean threats, after weeks of bellicose statements from Pyongyang

The warning prompted Russia to ask whether Pyongyang was offering help in the event of a conflict, or making a decision.

South Korean media reported on Friday that North Korea had moved two intermediate range missiles into position on the east coast.

The missiles are untested but it is believed they could reach as far as the Pacific Island of Guam, where the US has a military base, and where it has confirmed it will deploy a missile defense system.

South Korean news agency Yonhap said two warships equipped with Aegis defense systems would monitor the situation.

North Korea has issued a series of unusually strong threats since it was sanctioned by the UN in March for having carried out a third nuclear test.

It has threatened nuclear strikes on the US, formally declared war on the South, and pledged to reopen a nuclear reactor in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said on Friday a missile launch would not be unexpected.

“We would not be surprised to see them take such an action,” he said.

“We have seen them launch missiles in the past.”

Seoul has also played down North Korea’s reported missile move, saying it may be planning a test rather than a hostile act.

General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, called North Korea’s nuclear threat “reckless”, but said it seemed to fit a decades-long pattern of escalation followed by accommodation.

“I wouldn’t say I see anything to lead me to believe that this is a different kind of cycle,” he told the Associated Press news agency.

Even so, Gen. Martin Dempsey said the cycle was more unpredictable because relatively little was known about North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, who came to power after his father’s death in December 2011.

“Though we’ve always said that North Korea has been a bit opaque to us, in the past we’ve understood their leadership and the influencers a little better than we do today,” he said.

Many of North Korea’s angry statements have cited the annual military exercises between US and South Korean forces as provocation.

The US flew nuclear-capable B2 and B52 bombers over the South as part of the drill, and has since deployed warships with missile defense systems to the region.

Gen. Martin Dempsey said US moves had been “largely defensive and exclusively intended to reassure our allies”.

North Korea has not taken direct military action since 2010, when it shelled a South Korean island and killed four people.

Despite its warning that it could not guarantee the safety of foreign embassies, both Russia and the UK said they had no immediate plans to evacuate their embassies in Pyongyang.

[youtube CVCYX70ge9w]

Roy likes politics. Knowledge is power, Roy constantly says, so he spends nearly all day gathering information and writing articles about the latest events around the globe. He likes history and studying about war techniques, this is why he finds writing his articles a piece of cake. Another hobby of his is horse – riding.