Bones & Blood Halloween cookies
Preparation: 45 min. Bake: 25 min./batch + cooling
Yield: 40 Servings
• 5 egg whites
• 1/2 cup cake flour
• 1/2 cup ground almonds
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
• Dash salt
• 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
• 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
• 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup strawberry jelly
• Red food coloring, optional
• Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the flour, almonds, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
• Add the vanilla, cream of tartar, salt and food coloring, if desired, to the egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in flour mixture.
• Cut a 1/2-in. hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag. Fill bag with egg white mixture. Pipe 4-in. logs onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Pipe two 1/2-in. balls at both ends of each log. Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
• In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the cream, chocolate chips and jelly. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals until melted; stir until smooth. Tint red if desired. Cool to room temperature and serve with bones. Refrigerate leftover sauce.
Yield: 40 cookies (2 cups sauce).
Nutritional Facts: 1 bone with 2 teaspoons sauce equals 78 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 14 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.