Oat pancakes with fruit and vanilla yogurt
INGREDIENTS (4 serves)
• 1 large apple
• 1/2 cinnamon stick
• 1 star anise
• 3 cloves
• pinch grated nutmeg
• 200 ml/7 fl oz pomegranate juice
• 200 ml/7 fl oz grape juice
• 20 g/3/4oz jumbo porridge oats
• 240 ml/8 fl oz natural yogurt
• 1/2 tsp vanilla paste (or use vanilla extract)
• 60 g/2 ½ oz jumbo porridge oats
• 40 g/1 1/2oz brown rice flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 100 ml/3 1/2fl oz apple juice
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 free-range medium egg whites, at room temperature
• groundnut oil for oiling
• 100 g/3 1/2oz blackberries
• 60 g/2 1/2oz raspberries
• 80 g/3oz blueberries
• 4 sprigs mint (optional)
1. Core the apple, leaving the skin on, and cut into eight segments. Place it in a heavy-based saucepan with the cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, nutmeg and pomegranate and grape juices and cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes. Remove the apple with a slotted spoon and reserve. Continue to boil the juice and spices for 12-15 minutes until reduced to a thick syrup, then pass through a fine sieve to remove the spices. Return the syrup to the pan with four of the apple pieces. Cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes. Using a hand-held blender, blitz to a smooth purée. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C/160C fan/Gas 4. Sprinkle the oats over a non-stick baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. (Alternatively toast the oats in a dry pan on the hob for 3-4 minutes or until lightly golden).
3. In a small bowl, mix the yogurt and vanilla paste or extract together.
4. Place the oats, rice flour, baking powder, apple juice and cinnamon in a food processor and blitz to a smooth paste. Transfer to a mixing bowl. In a clean, grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the egg whites into the pancake paste, keeping as much air in the mixture as possible.
5. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Brush with oil and drop a large tablespoonful of batter per pancake into the pan. This will make pancakes about 6cm across, so you can make four at a time. Cook for about 2 minutes, until small bubbles appear on the surface, then turn and cook for a further 2–3 minutes until golden. Transfer to a warmed plate and cover with kitchen paper while you make another batch. You should have enough batter for 8-10 pancakes.
6. Either stack the pancakes together on a serving dish or arrange two on each plate. Pour over the pomegranate and apple purée and top with the vanilla yogurt. Spoon over the reserved poached apple segments and sprinkle the blackberries, raspberries and blueberries around the plate. Scatter over the toasted oats and decorate with the mint, if liked.
Preparation time 15 minutes. Cooking time 25 minutes.
Wheat free, Vegetarian.