• 1-2 tbsp sesame or sunflower oil
• 350 g (12 oz) pack firm tofu, cubed
• 4 tbsp light soy sauce
• 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 250 g (9 oz) basmati rice
• 1 tsp wasabi (from supermarkets)
• 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
• 2 cm (¾ in) piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
• 100 g (3½oz) sugar snaps, cut into matchsticks
• 1 red or yellow pepper, finely sliced
• 4 spring onions, sliced
• 200 g (7 oz) soya beans, defrosted if frozen
• 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
• A few sprigs of coriander
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the tofu and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden. Add the soy sauce and reduce, turning the tofu until browned.
Add the balsamic vinegar and reduce, again turning the tofu to coat. Remove to a plate.
Cook the rice according to packet instructions then drain. Mix the wasabi with a little rice wine vinegar and stir through the cooked rice.
Add a little more oil to the pan and sauté the ginger and garlic. Add the carrot, sugar snaps, peppers and spring onions and stir-fry over a high heat for 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the soya beans and a splash of soy if you like. Stir the veg through the rice and top with the tofu.
Scatter over the sesame seeds and coriander and serve with pickled ginger and wasabi, if liked.