Reports claim that Demi Moore collapsed after taking nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, while at her LA home.
Demi Moore, 49, allegedly inhaled the laughing gas out of a canister commonly used in whipping cream cans. She allegedly collapsed after having a bad reaction, according to TMZ.
A source told TMZ Demi Moore started to show symptoms of a seizure after ingesting large amounts of the substance.
“Whip-it” is the street name for nitrous oxide contained in a small metal canister and usually used for recharging whipping cream cans in restaurants.
According to TMZ, a female friend who was with the actress while she was inhaling gas told hospital staff she became distressed when Demi Moore had a reaction and was rendered semi-unconscious.
The “whip-it” charger is sold separately and users inhale it from the canister to receive a “quick high”.
It is typically used by young teenagers and is popular because it can easily be bought over the counter from the supermarket.
Prescription medication is also said to have played a part in her hospitalization and that her consistent use was one of the causes of her marriage collapse.
“It was a sticking point for Ashton,” a source told People magazine. “He wanted her to take care of herself and get a hold of things, and she wouldn’t.
“Her family and friends have been really worried.”
Insiders have also told People magazine that Demi Moore was troubled and not looking after herself long before Monday night’s hospital dash.
They say the problems began as she endured her break-up with Ashton Kutcher.
“Really, it was over the last year her friends saw a change,” a source told the magazine. “She wasn’t sleeping as well, didn’t seem to be eating and looked really gaunt.”
Demi Moore was rushed to hospital on Monday night.
The actress, who has appeared increasingly frail in recent weeks, was taken to hospital by ambulance following a call to 911 just before 11:00 pm.
Shortly after being admitted to hospital, website Radar claimed Demi Moore was being treated for anorexia, among other substance abuse issues.
The news emerged as Ashton Kutcher, 33, from whom she is estranged, was pictured enjoying a beer as he partied with friends at a Bruno Mars gig in Brazil.
Ashton Kutcher has been in the South American country for its fashion week.
Demi Moore has become frighteningly thin since her split with Ashton Kutcher, and a source close to the actress described what happened to her.
A source told Radar: “She collapsed after having an epileptic seizure… she has not taken care of her health at all lately and has lost a ton of weight.”
“Demi is in getting treated for anorexia, as well as other issues that caused her seizure,” the source added.
In the weeks before her hospitalization, Demi Moore was spotted letting loose on a wild night out with her daughter Rumer, 23.
On the night of January 11 she joined her eldest child at Hollywood hot spot Beacher’s Madhouse where sources tell Us Weekly magazine she was “table dancing while three guys sat there watching”.
At least one onlooker claims Demi Moore appeared intoxicated, although others only saw her drinking Red Bull.
Representatives for Demi Moore refused to directly comment on the substance abuse allegations. But her spokesperson said the actress is seeking “professional assistance” after the stresses of recent months.