A representative for Sean Connery has strongly denied reports that the actor is suffering from Alzheimer’s after German newspaper Bild, carrying quotes from best friend Michael Caine, said that the star was “no longer in control of his senses”.
In an interview with Bild am Sonntag, Michael Caine said: “One must have serious concerns for him.”
Bild said the loss of his memory is “noticeable” and that only a few close friends and confidantes, like Michael Caine, had access to him.
“Connery forgets his life,” was the headline in the paper, Europe’s biggest selling Sunday newspaper.
The newspaper said his wife Micheline Roquebrune, 77, was always frightened to pick up the phone when he was out on the streets of Manhattan in case of bad news, suggesting Sean Connery can sometimes not find his way home.
Sean Connery, 83, told a British newspaper two years ago that he had no interest in acting any longer.
The last time Sean Connery appeared before the cameras was in 2003 for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Sean Connery and Michael Caine became friends during the shooting of the 1975 epic The Man Who Would Be King.
A spokeswoman for Sean Connery denied the claims, saying that Michael Caine had been misquoted.
“The same article also have Sean living in Spain where you all know he does not live,” the spokeswoman said.
“This [article] is truly silly and nonsense. I do not wish to give credence to this ridiculous story.”alzheimer, bild am sonntag, michael caine, sean connery