Oprah Winfrey donates $12 million to National Museum of African American History and Culture
Talk-show queen Oprah Winfrey is donating $12 million towards a new museum in Washington DC dedicated to African American history.
After previously giving $1 million to the National Museum of African American History and Culture, her total contribution is its biggest so far.
The museum on Washington’s National Mall is due to be completed in 2015.
It will house a 35-seat theatre named after Oprah Winfrey, who is also a member of the museum’s advisory council.
Lonnie Bunch, director of the museum said the media mogul had been very much involved in its creation and talks were taking place to acquire memorabilia from her career.
He said he would love to have one of the microphone’s used during her television show – one of the most-watched programmes in US history, which ended after 25 years in 2011 – to add to the museum’s collection of more than 22,000 items.
The collection helps to tell the story of African American history from slavery to the post-Civil War period, the civil rights era, the Harlem Renaissance and the 21st Century.
In a statement released by the museum, Oprah Winfrey said: “I am deeply appreciative of those who paved the path for me and all who follow in their footsteps.”
“By investing in this museum, I want to help ensure that we both honor and preserve our culture and history, so that the stories of who we are will live on for generations to come,” she added.
Costing $500 million to build, the US government is providing half of the funding with the remainder being raised through private donations.
When in opens in 2015, it will be the 19th Smithsonian museum.
Some of the items which will be displayed include the glass-topped casket that held the body of 14-year-old Emmett Till, whose 1955 murder in Mississippi for whistling at a white woman helped spark the civil rights movement.
The museum’s most recent big acquisition was a South Carolina slave cabin dating from the 19th Century.
The cabin from Edisto Island was disassembled in May in preparation for its move to the museum.
Related search articles:
- Nadezhda Tolokonnikova Biological Museum
- nadezhda tolokonnikova museum
- teens without clothes
- Tolokonnikova museum
- native american boys tumblr
- nickelodeon star suicide
- nyaupakas catfights
- african incest stories
- real african princesses
- Is Christian Grey African American
- christian grey and african american
- NICKELODEON TEEN STAR THAT COMMITES SUICIDE
- nickelodeon sucide
- nickelodeon star suicide victorius
- museums that have had first mermaids
- national gallery dc shroud of turin painting
- black man bulges
- nick star suicide
- next american girl historical character 2014 2015
- panty less girls
- windswept female pubes
- why is one duck dynasty kid look african american?
- who is the african american child on duck dinisty?
- who is the africa american child on duck dynasty
- who is arturo keller car collection
- usa national leaders in 2013
- upskirt african
- tolokonnikova biology museum in moscow in february 2008
- Tolokonnikova biology
- south africa lads
- sons blue balls
- perverted person in 19 century
- youtube on nadia tolonnikova orgy at the russian biology museum
- grandparentss incest stories
- filipino vs black guy xnxx
- African men bulgues
- AFRICAN LADS
- african girl pupils with dense pubic hair
- african duck dynasty family
- african celebs upskirt
- african catfight
- african auntie
- african american women over 60
- african american on duck dynasty
- african american cia
- african american christian cartoons funny
- africa fakig
- africa exposed
Short URL: http://www.bellenews.com/?p=36213